1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Getting dog to quit chewing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by fireturk41, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Apr 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 [OP] I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    I have a 7m/o dalmatian, he does very well when supervised, doesnt chew or eliminate in the house, but if you leave him alone for 10 minutes he will chew everything in the garage, including couches, the other dogs bed ect and eat all your landscape (roses ect...) is there anyway to curb this behaviour, he is almost always in a muzzle when im not home (24 hours at a time) but my dad begins to feel bad for him takes off his muzzle for a brief period and the dog goes apeshit when it comes to destruction

how can i curb this especially if he only does it when nobody is watching

2. Apr 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    BigHeadTaco

BigHeadTaco GFY

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Head
    Full OME lift 885's with Dakar leaf springs. LR UCA's. ImMrYo relocation bracket.
    A lot of chew toys, rawhides and a few whacks on the ass.

3. Apr 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    he has a ton of chew toys, rawhides give him the runs (he goes though them too fast) and i whack his ass when he misbehaves...hence why he only does it when noones watching i think

4. Apr 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Our other dog had a huge chewing problem. Unfortunately its just a puppy thing. Lots of chew toys and some time and he grew out of it.

5. Apr 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    BigHeadTaco

BigHeadTaco GFY

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Head
    Full OME lift 885's with Dakar leaf springs. LR UCA's. ImMrYo relocation bracket.
    He might be bored, does he get exercise/walks everyday? Also, you can try a squirt bottle to spray him when he starts to chew what he isnt supposed to.

6. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    DPCardoza

DPCardoza Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yuba City
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Sport Long Bed
    I have a 18 month golden that chewed everything in sight up until about 12 months old. Landscaping, dog beds, sprinklers, drips,kids toys, tree branches, wooden bench corners were all fair game. We tried to teach her "leave it", bought a ton of kong toys and treats, raw hides and nothing other than time helped drastically. She is now pretty good and limits her chewing to toys and bones. The only thing I can say is that the muzzle may exacerbate the issue. puppy's chew, one way or the other. It may just go crazy when the myzzle comes off because the desire to chew has been building. Just a thought though.

7. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Excercise and lots of it. Also, you need to give him plenty of things he can chew on and whenever you catch him chewing something he's not supposed to, tell him no and direct him to one of his chew toys. There are also bitter sprays that can deter some dogs from chewing things they aren't supposed to.

8. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    ill start running with him although he and the other dog wear each other out.

the muzzle is on per vet orders cause his issue got so bad it almost completely stopped him up. ill look into a spray

what irks me is it aint my stuff getting chewed, its my dads since he watches him while im at work, and the dog knows better he just does it when someones not watching

9. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Also, there was another thread recently about indestrucible chew toys and someone mentioned elk antlers. I just ordered one through Petco, they're more expensive than rawhide but supposedly much, much harder but yet they still won't splinter so it's a safe chew toy. You mentioned raw hide giving him the runs, maybe the elk antler would work and would also take him longer to chew up. Mine should be here within the next day or so and I'll find out exactly how much longer it takes my lab to rip one of those antlers apart :cool:

If you think it's a boredom thing, you could always give him something like a Kong filled with something. We use a Kong filled partially with dry food and the top half is peanut butter, then we freeze it overnight. It takes him a while to get through it and keeps him occupied.

10. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    i give mine deer antlers, he loves em, i just gotta take it away at my dads cause his dog steals and burys them haha

11. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    try mixing a spray bottle with water and cayanne pepper and spray whatever it is he is chewing. i have no idea if this will work but when our dog had a problem with stealing food off the table when we werent looking i took a hot dog and coated it in the hottest shit i could find (korean death paste) and left it unattended for a few minutes. No issues since.

12. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:22 AM
    KJaikaran

KJaikaran Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    My dog used to do the same thing while he was teething. I had to lock him up in a certain corner of the house when i wasn't home so he wouldn't tear everything up. made the barrier frame out of some 2x2 with some black plastic mesh in between and some eye and hook loops to hook onto the wall. Didn't want to lock him up in a cage or buy and actual gate. He had more than enough room.

13. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    yeah, try the hotsauce and water, or go to petsmart and buy a spray specifically for it. when you spank him does it phase him at all? my puppy did the same thing but didnt flinch when i spanked him. but when i used a empty 2L bottle, he hated it. try that?

14. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I used hot sauce and my dog actually liked it. He stopped chewing it but would lick it relentlessly and the hot sauce would give him the shits (plus hot sauce will stain things, the bitter stuff typically is furniture and finished wood safe).

15. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    he reacts when i whack him, usually tucks his tail between his legs and goes straight to his crate.

my dog likes to lick wood, fire wood in the back, a wood crate for storage even 2x4's he must be part termite

Products Discussed in

To Top