Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Is it possible for a airplane to take off from a treadmill?

Old 04-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #21
Bandit196 is on a distinguished road

Army: Sergeant, A Co. 1-41IN, 3/1 AD
Name: Ross
Bandit196's Tacoma Gallery
Of course it will. The fact that the surface the plane is situated on is moving doesn't matter at all. The plane generates all of it's forward motion from the engines, not from the wheels. The wheels can spin all they want but the force that's pulling that plane forward is completely independent from the opposing force of the treadmill. If you had a plane on a giant ass treadmill, it would still move forward and eventually take off.

Of course, I have absolutely NO idea what I'm talking about, but it makes sense to me.

EDIT: Just thought of this. I guess it'd be like having a toy car on a treadmill, if you leave it there its gonna go nowhere or go shootin backwards off of it, but if you apply a force separate from the unpowered wheels, ie your hand (engines), with enough energy expended from you, you can still push it forward on the treadmill.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #22
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Think of this, if there is a 50MPH wind going in an opposite direction of your car and you apply 50MPH of speed will you car stay still?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
Think of this, if there is a 50MPH wind going in an opposite direction of your car and you apply 50MPH of speed will you car stay still?

Well your car applies all of its forward momentum through the wheels which have to oppose the speed of the treadmill... a plane doesn't.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #24
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit196 View Post
Well your car applies all of its forward momentum through the wheels which have to oppose the speed of the treadmill... a plane doesn't.
Oh i meant to mention without a conveyor, the air resistance against the car would be the "conveyor" in this experiment and on a regular road.

I'm aware of what goes on, i'm just making an argument for the opposite case to show how ridiculous this test is.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
What conveyor belt ?
was watching the conveyor in the mythbusters episode.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Oh i meant to mention without a conveyor, the air resistance against the car would be the "conveyor" in this experiment and on a regular road.

I'm aware of what goes on, i'm just making an argument for the opposite case to show how ridiculous this test is.

Ahhh I gotcha

I had my head wrapped around treadmills still, didn't even register the word "wind" haha.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #27
Makin' it Hail
Kylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedKylsix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 89D EOD
Name: Rick
Kylsix's Tacoma Gallery
Someone hit the nail on the head earlier - it's because the airplane's power doesn't come from the wheels. If it did, the airplane would not gain any lift. Now, if the myth were that the airplane would take off only under the power of a tarp being pulled under it, the plane would just sit still.

The disconnect is that people always associate the wheels with the power source of the aircraft.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #28
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
That was sad , the so called conveyer belt is just a long tarp.... or done another way he could be towed up to a certain speed with a tow rope. Jees , they knew this in WW2!!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #29
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Lift is generated by a difference in velocity between the plane and air. There has to be some type of motion. If a plane is on a treadmill it will not fly unless there is air being passed by the wings which isn't coming from motion because its not moving... so unless you have a force of air by some other means like a huge fan... shes not gonna take off.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #30
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lift is generated by a longer line over the top of the wing (that curve) it creates a lower pressure compared to the bottom of the wing .. in short.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
Lift is generated by a difference in velocity between the plane and air. There has to be some type of motion. If a plane is on a treadmill it will not fly unless there is air being passed by the wings which isn't coming from motion because its not moving... so unless you have a force of air by some other means like a huge fan... shes not gonna take off.

A huge fan? like, oh i don't know, a Propeller?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #32
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Not all planes have props

Old 04-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #33

Quote:

A jet / turbine works on the similar principals.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #34

Quote:

Quote:
haha I give up.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #35

Quote:

Regardless, how many planes do you know that FLY from their wheels spinning?

There's a reason they're called landing gear and not take-off or flying gear.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #36
I'd rather be skiing...

Law Enforcement:
We have to assume that your keeping your speed the same as the treadmill... So I you have a jet that's putting out enough thrust to keep it on the treadmill it's not going to fly.

Lets talk prop planes

what if your prop is positioned in a spot where the air forced by the prop doesn't meet the wings?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #37
I'd rather be skiing...

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit196 View Post
Regardless, how many planes do you know that FLY from their wheels spinning?

There's a reason they're called landing gear and not take-off or flying gear.
No shit... I never said the wheels propel the the plane

Old 04-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #38
senile member

who needs propellors, get a glider, find a thermal
Old 04-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #39

Quote:
We have to assume that your keeping your speed the same as the treadmill... So I you have a jet that's putting out enough thrust to keep it on the treadmill it's not going to fly.

Lets talk prop planes

what if your prop is positioned in a spot where the air forced by the prop doesn't meet the wings?
Doesn't matter. as soon as the plane has any momentum forward there is little to no resistance on the wheels and it will accelerate right up to take off speed with out an issue... Like i said before, the conveyor could be going 1000mph and the plane would still take off...
Old 04-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #40

Quote:

Lets talk prop planes

The air doesn't... what? A prop isn't there to shove air under the wings, by that thought process no single engine airplane would fly because the prop isn't infront of the wing surface. The prop doesn't have to initially meet the meet and exceed the speed of the treadmill because it's forward momentum isn't applied by the wheels, it's applied by the prop. Think of it as the plane being pulled forward by the turning of the prop.