Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

How Do You Stay Awake While Driving?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #61
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
I listen to audio books and chew on sunflower seeds, amazing how short of and. amount of time it takes to fill a 20 oz. with shells

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonantel View Post
Shouldn't be driving if you have to do any of these things..... Ahem
not true, especially on road trips, I don't get sleepy because I am tired, but instead because I am bored, I do this Stuff to avoid boredom, kind of like falling asleep in class

don't drive if you cont keep your eyes open, but, there is a big difference between nodding off and getting tired because you are bored
Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #62
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with others on here that if you are getting tired after less than 2 hours of driving, you should get more sleep before hand. I usually don't start to feel tired until after 6 or 7 hours. As for what I do to stay awake, a lot of the same ideas on here. I roll down the window, which allows the noise to help. When I was traveling with my kids we had a game that we played that helped relieve the boredom, as well as helped keep me awake: We played the alphabet. Starting with A of course, you have to find a sign or a license plate that has the latter A, then go to B, and so on. You can't use the same sign for more than one letter, and you have to go in order. It sounds silly, but it actually does exercise your brain, and that is what helps you to stay awake. Any brain exercise will do this.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #64
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery

&
Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #65
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Bouncing off the guardrail and other cars gets me back in the game when I'm dozing off
Old 04-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #66
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Try to change lanes between the lines too. That makes it fun. If a tire hits a line, you lose.

Or if youre a manual, just pull the ebrake. Itll wake you up.

Do some blow off the dash. But thats usually a last resort.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #67
JabbaJabbaJabba
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
What about bath salts??^^^
Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #68
Johnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Johnsredline's Tacoma Gallery
I work every year across country, one way i drive anwhere from 18 to 36 hours. I have been known to drive 24 solid, but do not recommend it.

My trick to staying awake is good music, and food. I always stop and buy everything i could possibly want to munch on. Chips, cookies, candy, beef jerkey etc. May not be the healthiest way, but i can munch away on small things like that for hours. And it gives me a boost of energy to stay awake
Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #69
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Turn off onto an unpaved road... the bumpiness wakes me up.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #70
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mt. Dew and Sunflower seeds
Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #71
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
I chew gum. Like OP said, it does the trick for me
Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #72
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
had a scare once driving out to LA on a 15 hr drive...once you hit NV from that little sliver of AZ driving west on 15 it puts you right to sleep because it's flat and straight...came to with little recollection of the past 30 minutes and got my heart racing like crazy because i know i just cheated death really...pulled over the next stop and took a nap...

at that point i thought i was fine because i was pounding red bull and coffee..but wasn't enough...

i never fuck around now..if i feel drowsy i'll pull over, do jumping jacks, stretch do something to get my blood flowing and clear my head..if needed i'll take a nap

but sunflower seeds are always a good one..keeps you busy

sometimes tunes don't work for me as i get distracted with listening to music and not paying attention to the road...so i'd actually turn off the music for a bit to limit my distractions...but again, i now don't fuck around and at that point i'll find the next pull off
Old 04-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #73
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyComa92 View Post
Sometimes il be so tired nothing can wake me up but im like...5 minutes away from home and i just push it. I know its stupid but it was late and the only person i was endangering was myself.

Ive had to pull over and pass out for a couple hours, Sometimes you just have to man.
Really? You must be pretty...well, stupid, to think that.

Matt
Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #74
thelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant future
Coast Guard: Marine Science Tech
Name: paul
thelivestone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Just start to while driving. Itll keep you awake
I can confirm that. Make sure the windows are not tinted and you stare at people passing by while you do it..... laughter + Pleasure....

Also make sure you have a towel around....
Old 04-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #75
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had an issue staying awake. I did 8 hours straight at night and I was fine. I think it's because I naturally drum and hum along to the music when I drive. Talking helps a lot to stay awake if you have someone to talk to. Or just talk to yourself about what you see I suppose.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #76
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Just start to while driving. Itll keep you awake
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelivestone View Post
I can confirm that. Make sure the windows are not tinted and you stare at people passing by while you do it..... laughter + Pleasure....

Also make sure you have a towel around....
Road fap never works for me. The people stare but can't really tell what I'm doing with a pair of tweezers while driving.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #77
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #78
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Roll down the window and stick my head out in the wind, or have a 5 hour energy.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #79
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonantel View Post
where do you get the idea the only person you were endangering was yourself?
Unless you are in the desert or something.. that's not really possible.

If you really want to be technical.. a EMS responder who responds to your stupidity/accident could get in a wreck. But that is going to far.
Because when im five minutes away from my house, Its nothing but a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, I live in the mountains of Colorado. So if i would have wrecked i would have injured some trees lol
Old 04-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #80
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIst8ofMIND View Post
I work gy. There is a lot of ways. But normally I just pull over and nap.
Thats the only way, pull over get the rest of your life.