Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

souped up lawn mowers

Old 04-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
souped up lawn mowers

does anyone on here have a souped up lawn mower?
my grandpa has a 14.5 HP B&S mower that he doesn't use and i have a smog pump off of a 1987 suburban with the 5.7, i'm thinking i could make a home grown supercharger.
i don't have time this trip but i think it'd be fun to figure out how to mount it so it would work.

maybe chris 4x4 can find time to work on this when he's not working on his heep.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Bar stools look more fun.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
souped up lawn mowers

You can switch the pulleys underneath on the drive belt ad that makes them fast also

Back pulley on front, front on back. Drive pulleys
Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
You can switch the pulleys underneath on the drive belt ad that makes them fast also

This. Its alot of fun, then you blow the transmission. Bring it back to the dump and find another one, get it running and swap the pulleys...then you blow the transmission, bring it back and...........

You get the point.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
My dad's lawn mower already goes 8mph stock and does burn outs and wheelies. Good enough for me.

When you start souping up small engines, you need a bigger carb or jets if they can be rejetted. Air is easy... You can always get more air by porting. You need to tune the right amount of fuel to air though. That's the hard part.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Bar stools look more fun.
i bet that sucker is loud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post

interesting, i might have to try that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
This. Its alot of fun, then you blow the transmission. Bring it back to the dump and find another one, get it running and swap the pulleys...then you blow the transmission, bring it back and...........

You get the point.
noted.

i guess i could build a go cart/dune buggy that the mower deck would mount up to and still get power from the PTO, and see if i could mate a tranny on it. (mini cooper?)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
We have a kid in our neighborhood who has one, I look forward to seeing it every year... Thing really hauls ass! He pulls his buddies around in a Radio Flyer wagon, I lmao.

I believe that several different neighborhoods in Chicago get together for annual races of these, it'd be awesome- kind of like flugtag lol
Old 04-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
My dad's lawn mower already goes 8mph stock and does burn outs and wheelies. Good enough for me.

When you start souping up small engines, you need a bigger carb or jets if they can be rejetted. Air is easy... You can always get more air by porting. You need to tune the right amount of fuel to air though. That's the hard part.
wheelies?

yeah, i'm hoping the carb will have standard jets, and just keep bumping up the size until it's running a little rich.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Wheelies. Haul ass backward down a hill, then floor it forward. It will bounce off the hitch on the back. I blew out one transmission doing wheelies on his old tractor. His new one is quite a bit beefier.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7Garage View Post
We have a kid in our neighborhood who has one, I look forward to seeing it every year... Thing really hauls ass! He pulls his buddies around in a Radio Flyer wagon, I lmao.

I believe that several different neighborhoods in Chicago get together for annual races of these, it'd be awesome- kind of like flugtag lol
that sounds like fun.
Quote:
Wheelies. Haul ass backward down a hill, then floor it forward. It will bounce off the hitch on the back. I blew out one transmission doing wheelies on his old tractor. His new one is quite a bit beefier.

you're easy on equipment huh.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Haha thats exactly how i blew the transmissions out. Reverse, slam into foward and wheelie it. Swapping the pulleys or modifying them could probably get it up to 15-20mph. Im not talking about these race mowers people build, maybe you are. But when i was a kid it was fun to get our hands on a old mower an beat the crap out of it.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Haha thats exactly how i blew the transmissions out. Reverse, slam into foward and wheelie it. Swapping the pulleys or modifying them could probably get it up to 15-20mph. Im not talking about these race mowers people build, maybe you are. But when i was a kid it was fun to get our hands on a old mower an beat the crap out of it.
i don't want a race mower, i want a fast mower that is unique and can still mow.
my cousin (or his buddy, i can't remember which) built a mower a few years ago, they bored it and put a exhaust system on it and did some gearing changes to it, they ended up hydrolocking it because they drove through a creek that was to deep.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
RAT Products

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post

you're easy on equipment huh.
You don't even know the half of it lol. If something is designed to be ridden around my house, I've made it do things it wasn't designed to do at all. Except my mom's camaro, I can't touch that. Most people don't know a little 2.4l taco can do a burn out through all of 1st and 2nd gear on dry pavement, but I did it. Burned up a full set of 60k mile tires in less than 8k miles. I wrecked 2 riding lawn mowers and 1 push mower, a handful of bikes, a chainsaw, and I put a weed whacker engine on a bike and blew up that engine pretty fast.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You don't even know the half of it lol. If something is designed to be ridden around my house, I've made it do things it wasn't designed to do at all. Except my mom's camaro, I can't touch that. Most people don't know a little 2.4l taco can do a burn out through all of 1st and 2nd gear on dry pavement, but I did it. Burned up a full set of 60k mile tires in less than 8k miles. I wrecked 2 riding lawn mowers and 1 push mower, a handful of bikes, a chainsaw, and I put a weed whacker engine on a bike and blew up that engine pretty fast.
i know what the 2.4's will do
(bolded) HOW?
and your still alive at 21?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #15
RAT Products

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i don't want a race mower, i want a fast mower that is unique and can still mow.
my cousin (or his buddy, i can't remember which) built a mower a few years ago, they bored it and put a exhaust system on it and did some gearing changes to it, they ended up hydrolocking it because they drove through a creek that was to deep.
You will want one of the real old ones with a true manual transmission. The hydrostatic transmissions can't take much abuse and can't be modified easily. My engine choice would be briggs and stratton. Easy to work on and they can be modified pretty well.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You will want one of the real old ones with a true manual transmission. The hydrostatic transmissions can't take much abuse and can't be modified easily. My engine choice would be briggs and stratton. Easy to work on and they can be modified pretty well.
the one my grandpa has is a true manual
his new mower (husqavarna) has the HS tranny and it feels meh.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Swap the pullies, put a big pulley on the engine and a small on the trans, I had one as a kid that would run 16mph. Don't sound like much but its hauling ass on a lawn mower. 2 friends of mine flipped it straight backwards trying to pop a wheelie.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #18
RAT Products

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

i know what the 2.4's will do
(bolded) HOW?
and your still alive at 21?
How to wreck a push mower: I lived at a bottom of a HUGE hill. So one day I pushed the mower up the hill, sat on the engine and had my feet on the front of the deck. Went down said hill as fast as gravity could take me. Got to the end of the hill and couldn't stop so I buried that mower in the swamp at the end of the road. I was probably 10 at the time.

I have plenty of scars and a permanently effed up collarbone from doing stupid shit, but I'm still kickin. Now that I bought my own truck and motorcycles and stuff, I'm not as hard on my equipment. I can't afford to blow up my truck.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #19
Deathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Deathproofduck's Tacoma Gallery
Not mine. I just sold them the Duck. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiIQzcSzpeo
Old 04-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathproofduck View Post
Not mine. I just sold them the Duck. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiIQzcSzpeo
that's pretty cool.

Quote:
Motors out
Quote:
After a bath and deck removal
Quote:
16 HP opposing twin Briggs and Stratton
Quote:
do ya'll see the PTO pulley conveniently mounted on the front?