Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Help

Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
jr124gamboa is on a distinguished road

jr124gamboa's Tacoma Gallery
Help

So I am looking for a handgun for home protection and I'm really interested in the berreta px4 full size 9mm

I am completely new when it comes to handguns and I'm seeking advice and guidance

Price point 500-800 and would like to buy new

Also read that going with a caliber that is not so popular like .40 is a good idea due to the shortages and high demand on other ammo but I really don't have a preference
Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
Dont get stuck on high price name brands...i just got a hi point 9mm for $250, ive put 100 rounds through it with out any problems
Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherreject View Post
Dont get stuck on high price name brands...i just got a hi point 9mm for $250, ive put 100 rounds through it with out any problems
You paid alot, even with the prices up i still see hp 9s and 380s for 160.

I recommend keltec pf9, its light, although double action, a very nice gun. 1000 rds not one failure
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
jr124gamboa is on a distinguished road

jr124gamboa's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks .....I'll look into those

I'm heading to a shooting range this weekend to test out what's out there as well

Any preference between 9mm, .40 and .45 again most of its action is for protection with some recreational use here and there
Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I would not go cheap when buying something you may need to rely on to protect yourself or your family. Hi points are ok for plinking, but I wouldn't trust my life to one.
That said, my vote is Glock full size 9mm.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
speedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of light
speedjunkie13's Tacoma Gallery
If it's mostly for home protection, I would say forget the handgun and just get a shotgun. too easy to miss with a handgun.

If you are dead set on a handgun for whatever reason, then go to a gun store or show and pick up and hold as many as you can to see what feels good in your hand. I am also in the glock camp due to it always going bang.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Porkchop228 is on a distinguished road

Porkchop228's Tacoma Gallery
I agree a good 12 gauge shotgun would be the way to go for home protection. If it has to be a pistol then I would go with the best of both worlds such as a Taurus Judge or a Smith & Wesson Governor. They both shoot 45LC or .410 shotshells but the Governor has one up on the Judge it will also shoot 45 ACP and holds 6 rouands instead of 5.