1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grandparent Scam

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by BassMaster06, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Apr 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Mods: sand, dog hair, roof rust
    TW,

A scammer called my grandmother this morning pretending to be me, telling her that I couldn’t talk long, not to tell my parents, and that I was out partying with friends last night and got in trouble with the law. He told her I needed money wired to an account through “Money Gram” ASAP to get bailed out of jail. He said I was just getting over a cold, so that's why I sounded a little different.

Being the grandmother that she is, she forked over close to $2,000 thinking she was helping out her grandson. She said she swore it was me on the other line.

Fortunately, after calling me around lunch time today and figuring out what happened, she contacted her bank and the cops, and they were able to cancel the transaction and money gram refunded her the money.

Apparently it’s becoming a pretty popular scam, so I just wanted to make people aware.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/financial_scams/financial_scams_5608.html

It's weird though, yesterday my brother and I both got calls from an arab speaking guy saying we had won prizes from walmart since we had filled out a coupon. Both of us responded in similar ways, but I said never filled anything out at walmart, and I was at work and didn't have time to talk, hung up.

I'm guessing nowadays they have the ability to call people up and record their voice, and then use it was a voice-over to trick their friends and family into thinking they're talking to them. Maybe its a long shot, but I think the calls yeterday to my brother and I, were an attempt to get a sample of our voices, to be used in scamming my grandparents this morning.

Play it safe and don't answer phone calls from numbers you don't know. If its important they will leave a voicemail.

People are assholes.

2. Apr 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    phone scams are getting more elaborate...

we got a call from the "Las Vegas Police Department" asking about my brother. dude said he was charged with something but we had to cover the "investigation fee"

refused to give a badge number, just kept saying his name was "officer ______"

told him to fuck off
    called the LVPD normal line
    there was no "officer ______"
    gave them the number

Products Discussed in

To Top