Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Pet owners, what's your medical cap ($$)?

Old 04-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
I am the one who knocks!
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbb View Post
Is your pet insurance vet-billable or is it out of pocket up front then reimbursed later by insurance co? The insurances I've seen so far have all been reimburse type so I'd still have to have the coin up front for a major procedure .
Still out of pocket for the ones I know of. Pet insurance isn't like people insurance where the health care providers have worked out deals with the insurance companies and have agreements. That's why some providers don't except certain insurance companies because they can't come up with agreements. Pet insurance will reimburse you regardless of vet as long as the medical procedure is within your contract.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #22
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear about your dog Zac808. I hope the vets can get her better soon.

Pets become a member of the family. There's a reason they call the dog 'mans best friend'.

I read an article several years ago about a dogs 'dogness'. It helped me understand when to say when, when the time comes. The article was more focused on older dogs though.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #23
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbb View Post
Is your pet insurance vet-billable or is it out of pocket up front then reimbursed later by insurance co? The insurances I've seen so far have all been reimburse type so I'd still have to have the coin up front for a major procedure.

To the OP's original question- With basic maintenance plus ongoing treatments for a back injury suffered last summer, my dog runs me $350/mo on average. I don't know where exactly I'd draw the line on a major incident, but it would probably depend on how much 'free' money I had at the time. I would spend as much as it took, so long as I had it and there was a good chance it would make a difference to him.
I don't recall, I'd have to check out policy to see how it's handled.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
I would spend up to $3,000 probably. I've had my german shepherd for years, and he is very protective of my wife. $3,000 is the number I just came up with that would be worth not having to train another dog that may or may not be as protective as my current one. Some people think it's nuts to spend that much on a $300 dog, but we love him.

Depending on what happened and the success rate of surgery or whatever, I might pay more than that.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
Still out of pocket for the ones I know of. Pet insurance isn't like people insurance where the health care providers have worked out deals with the insurance companies and have agreements. That's why some providers don't except certain insurance companies because they can't come up with agreements. Pet insurance will reimburse you regardless of vet as long as the medical procedure is within your contract.
Cool, thanks. So it sounds like that's the industry norm then.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #26
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
First dog I have had pet insurance for, I bought it after she broke her leg on Christmas at 6 months old. $500 on Christmas day for ER vet and then another $400 in fallow ups.

My dogs are part of my family and I will do everything within reason, I know they are still a pet. With insurance I will be able to do more.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #27
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 yotaman View Post
I got pet insurance and I agree if the poor animal is suffering put him/her down. I had a dog that got cancer and he was suffering and at the time I couldn't afford the procedure to put him down so I just took him out hunting for the last time it was quick painless and he didn't see it coming total cost .15, I felt like complete shit after that cuz I took him to get cremated and for all you out there that think what I did was cruel tell that to the suffering animal and I used a .22 so it wasn't gross it was like he just went to sleep, I still get teary eyed thinking about him I am just glad he died doing what me and him loved to do.
We had a lab when I was younger. We had gotten him when he was about 8 weeks old, and he was only a little over 6 months old probably, when he was sleeping under my dads truck. My dad wasn't aware he was under there, and when he started the truck (powerstroke) the dog didn't get up or move. My dad ended up backing over him. The dog was still alive, but suffering and wasn't going to make it, so he did the same thing to end the suffering for him. He was even crying after too.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #28
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
Only you can answer that question. What is her life worth to you?
Pretty damn high. Both my dogs have been there for my wife through multiple deployments and temporary duties. We don't have actual children so they are known as the "kids".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 yotaman View Post
I got pet insurance and I agree if the poor animal is suffering put him/her down. I had a dog that got cancer and he was suffering and at the time I couldn't afford the procedure to put him down so I just took him out hunting for the last time it was quick painless and he didn't see it coming total cost .15, I felt like complete shit after that cuz I took him to get cremated and for all you out there that think what I did was cruel tell that to the suffering animal and I used a .22 so it wasn't gross it was like he just went to sleep, I still get teary eyed thinking about him I am just glad he died doing what me and him loved to do.
That was a tear jerker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
I would ask my vet what it could be and if there is a medication you could try first before bloodwork and test. Then if it doesnt get better fast ask there opinion of wheather or not they think its worth the money to do the test. I would hate to pay all that money just to find out that it was something terminal and they need to be put down anyway. I hope it gets better and not much more suffering and expense.
I hate asking the vets anything. I feel like they are always trying to upsell us. Really playing on emotion. We are in the process of trying to find a new vet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Wouldn't set a limit. My dogs are a part of my family.. the only way they would be put down is if it would be the better option. I.e. pain and suffering.
Agree.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #29
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Yea you need a vet that you can really trust that is not after your money and is more interested in the well being of your animal. I hope all works out for the best.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #30
BARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
BARTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
https://m.gopetplan.com/
I pay about $16 or so a month for my dog.
Thanks. I'm going to look into it. My dog is like my child. She is spoiled rotten and has no idea that she is even a dog lol
Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #31
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, mine is too. He is my best friend no matter what.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #32
BARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
BARTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
Yea you need a vet that you can really trust that is not after your money and is more interested in the well being of your animal. I hope all works out for the best.
I agree. I have actually grown up with the folks at my vet. One lady I actually have known since 1st grade. They always take excellent care of my girl. I could write them a blank check and know that they wouldn't rip me off
Old 04-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #33
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
How much you all paying for the pet insurance?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #34
I am the one who knocks!
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
How much you all paying for the pet insurance?
I pay about $16 a month. It's dependent on age and health. When I first got it for my dog it was about $12 per month.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #35
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3/1 infantry sniper plt reach out and touch someone
Name: BUBBA
82 yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
I pay 16 bucks a month for mine. i's through aspca I think
Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #36
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Wife and I have Insurance on all of our pets, one of my German Shepards got tagged by a rattler a few years back, was over 8K in bills before we acquired insurance, had no issue paying it as they are worth it and as long as the vet is clear on how to fix/treat it.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #37
kingrob1990 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
kingrob1990's Tacoma Gallery
cant really put a price on a precious life