Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Anyone here not drink alcohol?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #21
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
THIS. i知 a drinking but i don稚 care what someone is drinking i値l usually talk to them at parties and stuff.
Are you drunk right now?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #22
eodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud of
Navy: EOD
Name: Jerron
eodrunner's Tacoma Gallery
I had my first drink about a month before i turned 21, never had a problem at parties when I didn't drink. Why? Because the people I hung out with knew peer pressure made me want to do the opposite, and they were actual friends instead of losers who thought that if I don't drink I'm not cool.
Now I'm in a very weird situation, I don't drink much at all. When I go out I'll have one, maybe two drinks, or none at all. In the community I'm in and the other communities I work with I am a major minority. haha. If that makes sense. I'm not very social and in general I am with small groups vs large groups when I can choose to be. The way I get around feeling like I'm a weirdo is by not giving a crap what everyone else thinks. The likelyhood is that no one is watching you and judging you, even though you think they are. The second thing I do when I am with large gatherings is meander around and observe people and listen in on conversations. There are bound to be 4 or 5 people just like you at the party or gathering, or bar, and when you find the start talking to them.
Last thought, before you go, drink an energy drink, poor out a beer, fill it with water. You'll get the energy and you'll look like everyone else if that's what you're concerned with.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #23
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
I was the same way with alcoholics running through both sides of my family, swore I would never drink...then I turned 21. Military life has a way of doing that.

Being conscious of it is a big start to not going overboard as well as avoiding it when you think you need to self medicate. I personally don't drink anymore because I hate feeling dehydrated when I wake up but I will have a beer or two if I want to. I didn't play the peer pressure BS in high school and I certainly don't now.

Find your happy balance but there's nothing wrong with being sober. If someone thinks less of you for it...f*** em!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #24
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3/1 infantry sniper plt reach out and touch someone
Name: BUBBA
82 yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
I hope no one gets butthurt like usual about it anyone being healthy but I'm simply throwing it out there that we all put only the best parts and fluids in our trucks and yet don't take care of our personal health most of the time. I would encourage anyone to look into what is not only tasty but also what may be more healthy. No one likes triple bypass heart surgery, diabetes or cancer but everyone loves sugar and fats etc . . .

Off my "high horse". I hope no one thinks I'm playing high and mighty and judgmental for advising healthy living.
I agree with you 100% we do need to take better care of ourselves.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #25
victorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nice
Name: Victor
victorramse3's Tacoma Gallery
There's a lot of good advice on here.

To comment on the posts about finding new friends, I don't have a problem with the friends that I currently have. It's that I want to meet new people to make connections and possibly new friends.

The biggest issue i've run into is with work functions. It doesn't help that i'm anti-social/socially awkward so I miss out on potential connections that may help me out in the future.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #26
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
My good buddy gave it up for about a year to get his mind right and priorities straight. It was tough for him, but he usually drank a red bull or monster when we were out.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #27
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
why not try some other type of social icebreaker?

I used to all the time.. now I drink. alot.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #28
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorramse3 View Post
There's a lot of good advice on here.

To comment on the posts about finding new friends, I don't have a problem with the friends that I currently have. It's that I want to meet new people to make connections and possibly new friends.

The biggest issue i've run into is with work functions. It doesn't help that i'm anti-social/socially awkward so I miss out on potential connections that may help me out in the future.
I use to be that akward kid just grow a pair and talk to peeps confidence is the key who cares what people think of you if they think your weird or akward F**K them when I meet new peeps I ask them what kida truck they got or about fishing hunting that sort of thing I have met awesome people by just talking to them good luck bro just be confident and don't care what people think and you will be fine.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #29
victorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nice
Name: Victor
victorramse3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eodrunner View Post
I had my first drink about a month before i turned 21, never had a problem at parties when I didn't drink. Why? Because the people I hung out with knew peer pressure made me want to do the opposite, and they were actual friends instead of losers who thought that if I don't drink I'm not cool.
Now I'm in a very weird situation, I don't drink much at all. When I go out I'll have one, maybe two drinks, or none at all. In the community I'm in and the other communities I work with I am a major minority. haha. If that makes sense. I'm not very social and in general I am with small groups vs large groups when I can choose to be. The way I get around feeling like I'm a weirdo is by not giving a crap what everyone else thinks. The likelyhood is that no one is watching you and judging you, even though you think they are. The second thing I do when I am with large gatherings is meander around and observe people and listen in on conversations. There are bound to be 4 or 5 people just like you at the party or gathering, or bar, and when you find the start talking to them.
Last thought, before you go, drink an energy drink, poor out a beer, fill it with water. You'll get the energy and you'll look like everyone else if that's what you're concerned with.

I'll just dump out the beer and fill it with an energy drink. Those things get me wired!

Old 04-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #30
Boone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
THIS. i知 a drinking but i don稚 care what someone is drinking i値l usually talk to them at parties and stuff.
Beer is good.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #31
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
Alcohol or no alcohol, you aren't going to fit in at a social hanging if you're anti-social.
Work on the anti-social part. Nobody cares what you drink.
I quit drinking 4 or 5 years ago, and yes i find it hard also to be in situations where you are the only one not drinking. Mainly because i see how dumb people act when they have to much to drink. Also most of the people i used hang around with that party alot dont even associate w/me anymore. I find i like to use my time more wisely and am alot more productive. I dont think that its being anti-social. I just know that if i get too close i may stumble and thats always in the back of mind in those situations. So i steer clear. 2 DWI's is enough for me!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #32
Banned
denali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the shed
denali climber's Tacoma Gallery
I stopped drinking when I was 19 yrs old. It hurt my social life a bit but then I focused more on people with shared interests and people who werent so shallow.

I havent had a drink in 18 years.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #33
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman

Quote:
Originally Posted by denali climber View Post
I stopped drinking when I was 19 yrs old. It hurt my social life a bit but then I focused more on people with shared interests and people who werent so shallow.

I havent had a drink in 18 years.
Damn good for you
Old 04-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #34
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorramse3 View Post
Reason I ask is I have a hard time fitting in places as it is (very anti-social, anti-BS, anti-Stupid people) and I see most people socialize around their favorite alcoholic beverage (beer usually) because it loosens them up. I've tried hanging around friends and co-workers when socialization events come up but it is just weird being the only one drinking water or something non-alcoholic.

Any tips on getting around this?
I don't drink. Never have. Don't need to. Grab what you drink (soda etc ) and just be yourself. You need to be confident in your decision not to. I always leave an out if I need to. When people get to drunk I go to a different area or leave. Someone says something I just let it go. I stay a while and then go. I don't care. I have never had someone mock me or give me a hard time. They ask and I say no thanks. Eventually they will get use to it. I was invited to every party because I didn't drink. I had a truck and I took all the keys and loaded everyone up in the bed and took them home. I think it's how much of a problem YOU make it on yourself.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #35
Grumpy old man - get off my lawn
rleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant future
Name: Roger
rleete's Tacoma Gallery
I used to be borderline alcoholic. I wasted 7-8 years of my life just going to bars and drinking. Dollar drafts at a place I frequently hung out and it wasn't unusual for me to drop 20 bucks (or more) a night. It eventually cost me a DUI, loss of license and lots of money in fines, lawyer and mandatory counseling. Wasn't until I got married that I really put it behind me.

I eventually stopped, because it was just a case of been there, done that. I'll still have an occasional drink. But I very rarely have more than two at a time these days. Getting drunk is just not something I do anymore.

If out with friends or coworkers, I don't usually drink. Not a problem unless people start getting drunk and acting like asses. Then it makes me uncomfortable. When that happens, it is time to part company for the evening.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #36
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i find it more difficult to hang with people with kids. not THAT makes me want a drink.

OP, just be yourself. be open and social. really, those the use booze as a crutch or "social lubricant"...well. just be yourself.

all my friends are in the damn wine industry!!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #37
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i find it more difficult to hang with people with kids. not THAT makes me want a drink.

OP, just be yourself. be open and social. really, those the use booze as a crutch or "social lubricant"...well. just be yourself.

all my friends are in the damn wine industry!!
X2 on the kids thing... We have some friends that have kids, I hate hanging out with them... Don't tell the wife!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #38
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
X2 on the kids thing... We have some friends that have kids, I hate hanging out with them... Don't tell the wife!
x3 on the kids..

Best part about kids, is handing them back to their owners when they start crying or act up.

12 years with the Wife, no kids
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #39
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Just be the sober one and charge people for rides home. You'll be shocked how much a drunk person will pay to sleep in their own bed sometimes.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #40
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Prozac FTW!