Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Bolt Cutters

Old 04-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #21
DirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USN Retired
Name: Terry
DirtEater's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
they are called bolt cutters because door locks used to be called bolts. it has nothing to do with "nuts & bolts"

ever heard the phrase "bolt the door"? even today there is the "dead bolt" on most entry doors.
I looked it up. Wikipedia shows something different than what you describe. They were given their name from being used to cut 'bolt seals' off of shipping containers at the port of entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolt_cutter

So I looked up 'bolt seals' and here's what I found...

http://www.novavisioninc.com/pages/prd_bolt_seals.html

I must be really bored.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #22
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtEater View Post
I must be really bored.

Seriously though, that's kinda interesting.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
What? You mean the $5 bills don't turn into $100s when I put on the gloves?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #24
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got a old set of bolt cutters at a carport sale 24in & 36in. Never seen a padlock that they will not cut. I only use a hacksaw on bolts I want to reuse !!
Old 04-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #25
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
war's would be lost if it wasnt for bolt cutters. i cant count the amount of times someone at my unit lost the keys to our connex's so we had to get the bolt cutters. (AKA the Masterkey)
Old 04-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #26
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtEater View Post
I looked it up. Wikipedia shows something different than what you describe. They were given their name from being used to cut 'bolt seals' off of shipping containers at the port of entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolt_cutter

So I looked up 'bolt seals' and here's what I found...

http://www.novavisioninc.com/pages/prd_bolt_seals.html

I must be really bored.
good job

basically...the "bolt seals" are locks for the containers. My point was directed to the OP...that the name "bolt cutter" has little to do with bolts & nuts, and more to do with door locks. In your research example...locks on container doors.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #27
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I thought they were invented to cut crossbow arrows

Road Warrior