Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Need a DD, what would you suggest?

Old 04-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Need a DD, what would you suggest?

Truck is paid off, so I'm gonna get a DD for commuting/road trips and to leave the truck out of service for longer periods of modification.

I'm kinda in the dark about what some good options would be.

Budget is probably ~$4k. Mfg/year/model doesn't matter to me, I just need something reliable with decent MPGs and a back seat for the kiddo.

Any suggestions? Already thinking about Geo/Chevy Prizms, Ford Focus, Civic... what about a Tercel?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Turbo tercel!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot the Tercel was a no-go.
My family wouldn't approve, since my uncle was killed in one by a drunk driver.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Hondas are good cars but it would be hard to find one for only 4k. You kind of have to spend more in order to get a nice car.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Honda Civics can be had for under 4k all day long, but God they suck to drive.

Type 4k into the max price field on craigslist and go to town.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
Kala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsenordave View Post
Turbo tercel!
I know the guy who had the first 93 style tercel on island. I raced against one a few years back at the track. Her and her husband loved those.

If youre looking for a good car, 01-05 civics are getting cheaper to find and are harder to steal. Great cars but I have an 03 and recently sold an 01...so im partial to em. Over here you can find them from $2500-6k.
The gas mileage is pretty awesome too, but most of the Hondas I had got close or more than 40mpg.

Dont get a Focus...or a Prism. Plus the older Prisms were Corollas.

I'd consider a Camry or Corolla but newer is better. Out of that whole list i'd get a Honda even though I love my toyotas.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:56 AM   #8
LennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to all
Law Enforcement:
LennyTheLip's Tacoma Gallery
Cannot beat a Civic for MPG, longevity, ease and cost of maintenance. I agree with a poster above, not the most thrilling thing to drive, but a t38 miles round trip to work, I used fill my 96 once every two weeks. Thats with a lead foot!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #9
Project.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Project.paradigm's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a 99 corolla for a DD. $3000. Hasn't needed a thing. I would stick with Honda or Toyota.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
Because fuck you that's why...
Trigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
Trigo's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen a few Siennas going for the 3-4k price range, that's what I drive whenever my trucks down for repairs or mods that take more than a day
Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
Do NOT get a Chevy Prizm. Those things burn more oil than gasoline lol. I'd go with a Civic
Old 04-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 2001 honda accord I drive daily. Picked it up for $2600 with only a 140K on it. Big enough to fit five hungry mechanics on a lunch run!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #13
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
civic hatch with a b series swap, can be had for 4k all day, will be a quick car, and still get you 30mpg
Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #14
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Being in the MidWest are you wanting something that can handle a little snow? I know, I know, that's what the truck is for. But it kind of defeats the purpose of a "daily" driver if you can't drive it daily just because of weather. Just curious.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Being in the MidWest are you wanting something that can handle a little snow? I know, I know, that's what the truck is for. But it kind of defeats the purpose of a "daily" driver if you can't drive it daily just because of weather. Just curious.
FWD will do just fine.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #16
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, just asking. I personally hate driving my friends or gf's FWD in the snow (since all I've owned is 4WDs or AWDs) so I was just curious if he cared about that factor at all. I know he's from WY originally so he can handle crappy weather ha
Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
I agree, just asking. I personally hate driving my friends or gf's FWD in the snow (since all I've owned is 4WDs or AWDs) so I was just curious if he cared about that factor at all. I know he's from WY originally so he can handle crappy weather ha
Oh I agree, I'm personally planning on buying a mid 1990's subaru impreza when I move to Ohio so I don't rust out my poor truck that's spent it's entire life in NM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #18

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WThomas1250 View Post
Do NOT get a Chevy Prizm. Those things burn more oil than gasoline lol. I'd go with a Civic
No? I thought they were pretty much the same as Corollas? IIRC they have Toyota engines anyway
Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #19
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Civic. I have one with 285k and only replaced maintenance items. My brother drives it since I love my taco so much that idgaf about gas mileage.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
5 lug tacoma?