Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

2014 Toyota 4Runner deploys with sharp edges

Old 04-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
2014 Toyota 4Runner deploys with sharp edges

The genus of truck-framed sport utility vehicles has sharply declined in recent years, as consumers favor the soft-riding, more efficient car-based models rather than ones which still provide a modicum of off-road and towing prowess. So when an automaker like Toyota updates an older model like the 4Runner for 2014 with all new bodywork and interior, it should be taken as a vote of confidence for those who like their trucks to have a little toughness. But then you see it, and much like the controversial new Jeep Cherokee, you can't unsee it.
Toyota tweaked the mechanical pieces of the 4Runner, but didn't dilute them; there's still a 5-speed automatic mated to either a pure rear-wheel-drive setup or an optional four-by-four (not all-wheel-drive) with locking center differential. All of which is still powered by the 270-hp V-6, strong enough to score a maximum towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. That lack of changes also means only a one mile-per-gallon increase in highway fuel economy for the 4Runner to 22 or 23 mpg depending on drivetrain; the city ratings remain at 17 mpg for all versions.
Inside, passengers get up-to-date seat materials, a more pleasant cabin with softer surfaces and a modern version of the Toyota in-dash computer. Which they should enjoy, because it saves them from having to look at the front of the new 4Runner, an odd collision of angles and scoops that appear inspired by an angry largemouth bass. Those fish need that gullet to thrive in a variety of habitats; making the 4Runner stand out on the road may be Toyota's similar strategy for the 4Runner's survival.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...153109167.html

I hope that front end does not end up on the Tacoma.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Wow that is not going to get me back in a SUV anytime soon. Nice to see its still very capable but the front end is definitly different...
Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
Brewsy is on a distinguished road

Name: Carlos
Brewsy's Tacoma Gallery
Reminds me of a mitsubishi outlander, only more "aggressive". Wouldn't have thought the 4runner would get a refresh so early in it's life cycle.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
I can honestly say that I dig it. It still looks a shit-ton better than the new Pathfinder Nissan squeezed out of their design department's dysentery-afflicted sphincter.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Woah! How did that get here?
EFalco50 will become famous soon enoughEFalco50 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ethan
EFalco50's Tacoma Gallery
Sexy
Old 04-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Updated the 4runner already? Damn and we can't even get an engine update.... I would be happy with the newer 1gr.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
ToRriD is on a distinguished road

ToRriD's Tacoma Gallery
Bastards stole my grill design. lol

Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
Banned
denali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the shed
denali climber's Tacoma Gallery
The opened grill looks like it would be more effective at cooling. Something an offroader should appreciate and value.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
I can honestly say that I dig it. It still looks a shit-ton better than the new Pathfinder Nissan squeezed out of their design department's dysentery-afflicted sphincter.
Totally agree man. I love it. They just made subtle changes which I think is good.

Already been discussed extensively by most of the people that hate it...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4runners/275484-2014-4runner-hideous.html

But I'm down to discuss more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFalco50 View Post
Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRriD View Post
Bastards stole my grill design. lol

Looks good man. Nice work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post

The genus of truck-framed sport utility vehicles has sharply declined in recent years, as consumers favor the soft-riding, more efficient car-based models rather than ones which still provide a modicum of off-road and towing prowess. So when an automaker like Toyota updates an older model like the 4Runner for 2014 with all new bodywork and interior, it should be taken as a vote of confidence for those who like their trucks to have a little toughness. But then you see it, and much like the controversial new Jeep Cherokee, you can't unsee it.
Toyota tweaked the mechanical pieces of the 4Runner, but didn't dilute them; there's still a 5-speed automatic mated to either a pure rear-wheel-drive setup or an optional four-by-four (not all-wheel-drive) with locking center differential. All of which is still powered by the 270-hp V-6, strong enough to score a maximum towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. That lack of changes also means only a one mile-per-gallon increase in highway fuel economy for the 4Runner to 22 or 23 mpg depending on drivetrain; the city ratings remain at 17 mpg for all versions.
Inside, passengers get up-to-date seat materials, a more pleasant cabin with softer surfaces and a modern version of the Toyota in-dash computer. Which they should enjoy, because it saves them from having to look at the front of the new 4Runner, an odd collision of angles and scoops that appear inspired by an angry largemouth bass. Those fish need that gullet to thrive in a variety of habitats; making the 4Runner stand out on the road may be Toyota's similar strategy for the 4Runner's survival.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...153109167.html

I hope that front end does not end up on the Tacoma.
Thanks Adam for this bad ass pic...

Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
I don't care for it.It's reminded me of the Mitsibishit(Montero Sport) I use to owned.