1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice needed for a property line dispute...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by kingston73, May 1, 2013.

1. May 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    The above suggestions seem pretty good, you should definitely get an attorney. A problem you could run into is how long he has occupied the disputed property. Without too many details (because I don't know them all), since the property was last surveyed back in 70 and he has occupied part of it for X many of years, this could become his (depending on local laws). This happened to us (for us I should say) in a house I grew up in. The fence was about a foot into our neighbors property (unbeknownst to either of us) when we had some stuff done. Long story short, this property became ours.

2. Jul 1, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    An update to this whole property issue. I called the town PD and told them about the neighbor taking the line down and then called the surveyor and asked him if he could redo it. The surveyor was wicked nice, he charged me a small fee but redid the line. The town PD and the town inspector both stopped by as well just to get a look at this and both said everything looks good. I asked the PD if I could move the neighbors things that ended up on my side of the line and they said yes, as long as I don't keep anything that isn't mine. It took me about 30 mins to toss about a cord of stacked wood onto his side of the line.

After all that was done I set up a string line about 6 inches inside my property and set up about 60 feet of fence. Took me 3 days to do that, digging a post hole in rocky ground sucks! For some of the line I just set posts just to try and prevent the guy from easily pulling anything up again.

Even after all this the guy still isn't quitting. I get a knock on the door today and its the town inspector again. He said the guy had complained about my fence and claimed I didn't have a permit and it was on his side of the line. The inspector was wicked nice about it, he said he had to come out because of the complaint but that everything looked good and there was no problems.

In all of this the guy has never once directly initiated a talk with me. When I first started on the fence he was outside and could have easily come and talked to me, so what does he do? Go inside and send his wife out to talk to me! His wife! What kind of wussy coward gets his wife to talk? I seriously have zero respect for this "guy".

3. Jul 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Maybe he thought his wife could sweet talk you? hahaha. Glad to see you finally got a fence installed. I remember reading this when you first started talking about it. Seems he does not understand what the city says are the property dividers. I have a feeeling this is not the end of it, and this is why I love living in the country.

4. Jul 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    RevAdam

RevAdam Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro

You have one of those SOB neighbors that makes you want to take up mid-night sporting clays.

5. Jul 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind being a mile from the next nearest neighbor. I really don't know what is going on with these people since we have never actually had any conversations. My wife and I are basically live and let live kind of people, we leave everybody else alone and expect the same in return. I hate to say but I'm betting Bama is right and I probably haven't heard the last from them, who knows what else they'll try.

6. Jul 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    RevAdam

RevAdam Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    See, I'm one of those SOBs that would have a bonfire with the pile of wood using the dirt as my fire ring....

Products Discussed in

To Top