Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Craigslist Scam Question

Old 05-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Craigslist Scam Question

I listed something for sale on Craigslist, a motorcycle. I got the usual, obvious scam e-mails but then I got one that at least seems like a real person. They want to buy the bike, pay through Paypal, then arrange for someone to pick the bike up. If they pay using Paypal, and the money ends up in my account, what's the scam? Is there a scam?

So far, I told the guy, if you have a good relationship with this shipping company, send your 'agent' with cash in hand and he can take the bike and title with him.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
he's going to dispute the sale afterwards and get his money back.

tell him if he really wants the bike, the "friend" can pay you cash.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I listed something for sale on Craigslist, a motorcycle. I got the usual, obvious scam e-mails but then I got one that at least seems like a real person. They want to buy the bike, pay through Paypal, then arrange for someone to pick the bike up. If they pay using Paypal, and the money ends up in my account, what's the scam? Is there a scam?

So far, I told the guy, if you have a good relationship with this shipping company, send your 'agent' with cash in hand and he can take the bike and title with him.
I've heard of people getting scammed off of paypal. hacked accounts and shitz
Old 05-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
If they pay to your Paypal account I would wait until you transfer that to a bank account. As long as its in your Paypal account they could ask Paypal to refund the money and it could get frozen for a while.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
he's going to dispute the sale afterwards and get his money back.

tell him if he really wants the bike, the "friend" can pay you cash.
That's what I've been doing so far, told him cash only, send his shipping agent with cash if he wants the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Damn, scary stuff!
Old 05-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hacking a paypal acct would be serious shit...
Old 05-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
hacking a paypal acct would be serious shit...
Weak passwords. People usually use the same password for everything. I bet they're people on this site use the same password here that they use for their ebay, email, bank, paypal....
Old 05-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Even if it wasn't a scam, which it surely is, the paypal fees would be crazy expensive.
If someone is coming to pick it up, why wouldn't they just bring the cash?
Old 05-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
If they pay to your Paypal account I would wait until you transfer that to a bank account. As long as its in your Paypal account they could ask Paypal to refund the money and it could get frozen for a while.
So if I sit on the money until it clears my bank account, am I in the clear, or should I hold it for the 45 or 90 days or whatever Paypal says is the deadline for a disputed charge? Can they still come back at me after I withdraw the money from Paypal?
Old 05-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
revised
Quote:
So if I sit on the money until it clears my bank account, am I in the clear, or should I hold it for the 45 or 90 days or whatever Paypal says is the deadline for a disputed charge? Can they still come back at me after I withdraw the money from Paypal?

I would steer clear of the whole deal. Patients is key on selling a bike. When I sold the two of mine, it usually took weeks where no one serious would come by and then boom lots of people calling all weekend.

Take your time. If they come up with cash for it great but otherwise screw that mess.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would steer clear of the whole deal. Patients is key on selling a bike. When I sold the two of mine, it usually took weeks where no one serious would come by and then boom lots of people calling all weekend.

Take your time. If they come up with cash for it great but otherwise screw that mess.
I completely understand, I just don't understand how all these scams work. I'm sticking to my guns with this guy, I told him to send his 'shipping agent' with cash. Sounds like anything having to do with electronic money transfers are a horrible idea.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
Paypal covers the buyers ass, It seems fishy man. Id say if he wanted hes welcome to send a check through the mail and have him wait for it to clear. Even better to just have cold hard cash when his friend comes to pick it up.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
Hoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
dont do paypal man. like they said before its a scam, he can dispute it and you would have no money and bike gone. or its a hacked paypal account, and you are screwed as well. Paypal protects the buyer, if you are a seller you can get fucked by anyone, the just complain and dispute and you are screwed
Old 05-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Weak passwords. People usually use the same password for everything. I bet they're people on this site use the same password here that they use for their ebay, email, bank, paypal....
Youre not supposed to do that?!?!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So if I sit on the money until it clears my bank account, am I in the clear
NO!!!!!!!
Quote:
Can they still come back at me after I withdraw the money from Paypal?
YES!!!!!!

And sitting on the money for 90 days before releasing the bike would guarantee a dispute.

I would never, ever buy or sell a vehicle through Paypal. Least of your problems will be the Paypal fees.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #16
cameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to behold

Name: cameron
cameronlane's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I had that happen to me... it wasnt a scam but a confused buyer. I took the money out and it was in my bank account. Since there was no money in my paypal account, they just treated it like a credit card and I had to pay the the new balance on the paypal account.

STAY CLEAR OF ELECTRONIC TRANSFERS OF MONEY UNLESS YOU KNOW/TRUST THE PERSON.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
cameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to behold

Name: cameron
cameronlane's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I had that happen to me... it wasnt a scam but a confused buyer. I took the money out and it was in my bank account. Since there was no money in my paypal account, they just treated it like a credit card and I had to pay the the new balance on the paypal account.

STAY CLEAR OF ELECTRONIC TRANSFERS OF MONEY UNLESS YOU KNOW/TRUST THE PERSON.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #18
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
COD. If it smells like a Rat...
Old 05-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #19

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies. I told him to send cash with his 'shipping agent' and haven't heard back from him since
Old 05-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #20
Banned
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I told him to send cash with his 'shipping agent' and haven't heard back from him since
I smell Scam pugga,,Yes there are pay pal scams out now. Some one in Cal was trying to use mine to buy 3k worth of parts.