Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Private or public schools for kids - thoughts?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #41
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
Another teacher here, 18 years in education with a Masters plus, and I can tell you that the greatest key to a child's success is parental involvement. The correlation between high achieving students and parents who actually value education is irrefutable. Unfortunately, so many parents use public school as day-care, not as a stepping stone towards self improvement. My daughter has been in two different public school systems, and both of them have their faults (some are fairly large faults), but we spend as much time with her as needed to ensure she is continuing to improve as a learner. If children see that their parents care, have high expectations for them and take an active role in their education, they will learn through modeling of that behavior that hard work and effort pay off.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #42
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuxdiesel View Post
we spend as much time with her as needed to ensure she is continuing to improve as a learner. If children see that their parents care, have high expectations for them and take an active role in their education, they will learn through modeling of that behavior that hard work and effort pay off.
Your daughter should be proud to have a parents like y'all sir. Thank you for all you do, and done for the children....thank you !
Old 05-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #43
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
B Leary of private schools. I attended private and the rules out of the school are very strict. Very controlling. Also I liked the class of ppl in public schools better than private. Most are dicks cause they think they are better. I left private my sophomore year and attended public thru graduation. Saw no diff in teaching and actually saw more hands on attention in public. Private holds u to such high standards that if u struggle it's harder to keep up. If u have reputable public in the area then do some research. U may b surprised how good they can b. myself and my graduating class that I still keep up with have done really well. Private schools had nothing to do with me getting into a good college. I was told this upon getting accepted. Grades are what count. Good luck in ur choice.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #44
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Blk_one View Post
Your daughter should be proud to have a parents like y'all sir. Thank you for all you do, and done for the children....thank you !
^ x2. This is what really counts and cheers to y'all as parents. Lucky child. Others should take notes... The world would b a better place if all parents shared ur views.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #45
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't y'all singular and all y'all plural?

Thanks for the compliments, but really, it's not that hard keeping her focused on school. My parents did it for me (as much as I resisted like the rebellious jerk I was), and eventually it took hold. Realistically, if more parents read to their children instead of plunking them down in from of the TV, those kids would be so much more ready to learn. Besides, working with my daughter is the only way I can keep some semblance of basic Algebra knowledge. It's amazing the body of information students are required to be proficient in these days.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #46
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
no matter what you decide just keep your pulse on your kids grades, school home work etc..
Old 05-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #47
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
In before Larry says vouchers
Thank you

Vouchers would make the OP's decision easier. And if the success of current voucher programs are any indication...it probably would help the youngster receive the best possible education.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #48
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
If we stay in the same house we live in now my daughter will go to private school. We are looking a building a house where the public school systems are very highly ranked. That will be the only way my daughter will go to public school.
Best answer! The quality of the public school is just as good as the people who live in that area. If you leave in a run down, gun loving, welfare recipients area, then the school is the same way. Good neighborhoods where
parents demand their children to learn, will have a good school as the result.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #49
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I say private school. We have our 4 1/2 in private catholic school for almost two years. I'm anti religion but I wouldn't tell her what to think aboutgod.ill let her decide how she feels when she is older.i think private will teach more manners/morals and respect for people unlike public schools.some towns have amazing public schools but my town isn't one of the top schools so i chose private.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #50
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Sean
Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
We had our daughter in a private school and we paid $780 a month......got to expensive so now she goes to a public school since we moved to a better area
Old 05-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #51
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good Luck Eric ! God Bless you and the family !
Thank you, sir! And thanks to all that have answered! Step away for a couple of hours and look at all the responses! Just goes to show how great of a community TW is! Thanks to all of you.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #52
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to clarify my position on my earlier post here. It's not that I really mind paying school taxes via home ownership even with no kids in school, but so much is spent on other stuff rather than paying for good teachers and kids learning more, which is the main point of school to begin with. Too much is spent on administrator salaries and focus on building college level campuses and stadiums IMO. Kinda the same as paying federal taxes, if they weren't wasted so much and everyone paid into it equally then it'd be more palatable.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #53
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Go talk to a local police officer. Around here, most local cops grew up in the Town and went through the school system - they also know the trouble within the schools. They can shed light on how much riff-raff comes about due to the kids and most are very willing to give it to you straight up if you ask.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #54
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
I'd like to clarify my position on my earlier post here. It's not that I really mind paying school taxes via home ownership even with no kids in school, but so much is spent on other stuff rather than paying for good teachers and kids learning more, which is the main point of school to begin with. Too much is spent on administrator salaries and focus on building college level campuses and stadiums IMO. Kinda the same as paying federal taxes, if they weren't wasted so much and everyone paid into it equally then it'd be more palatable.

Very good point. I also have a problem with school taxes. Here they are astronomical - while I understand that its "supposed" to go to the kids, it goes exactly as you say. I, for one, think that seniors should not have to pay school taxes - there is no way this can be justified... But as we all know, the public system is just another business. If it weren't, then why are the standardized so all-fired important? To get state money, bottom line. Hell, when I was a teacher, we were ordered to spend 10 minutes every day in each class going over the previous year's test to "prepare" the kids for the real one...now what does that say?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
Go talk to a local police officer. Around here, most local cops grew up in the Town and went through the school system - they also know the trouble within the schools. They can shed light on how much riff-raff comes about due to the kids and most are very willing to give it to you straight up if you ask.

Wow, have never thought of that! Will definitely have to do that one. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #56
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
but so much is spent on other stuff rather than paying for good teachers and kids learning more, which is the main point of school to begin with.
I could agree on that one.Where I'm reside they tried to lay off teachers just to save money for the city, we already got the worse school system in the nation. What the future of the children may hold, we only hope for the best....
Old 05-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #57

Quote:
I could agree on that one.Where I'm reside they tried to lay off teachers just to save money for the city, we already got the worse school system in the nation. What the future of the children may hold, we only hope for the best....

^This. I, for one, am really worried about the future of the children. They already have to grow up way too fast - but am not just talking about their education...a child should be able to be a child without any worries. Like when I was little, I could go out and play until dark - now I wouldn't even think about letting my kids do that when they get old enough - maybe if we lived in a very rural place or had a farm or something like that...
Old 05-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
^Like when I was little, I could go out and play until dark - now I wouldn't even think about letting my kids do that when they get old enough
things have changed,it's aint like when we were kid anymore.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #59

Quote:
things have changed,it's aint like when we were kid anymore.
Unfortunately, that is so true. I don't want to shelter them from everything, yet at the same time I still want them to have that innocence of childhood. But, there are a lot of good things now, too. We can only do what we think is best and pray that things work out...
Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #60
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
I attended public from 1st till 7th grade. I went on to a private school after that. I personally will not put my kids in private school. Here we have charter schools and that seems like a better option. At my private school I'm pretty sure anyone with a degree could teach. The teachers were awesome and I still talk to most of them today. But I also graduated with a 3.75 GPA and in my senior year I never once brought my book bag home. Instead I deer hunted everyday after school. And still had straight A's and a B. Which did not leave me prepared for college. My first semester was hell. But I've graduated with an associates degree and have a very good job now. My point is, You need to do your research on the private school of that's the way you want to go