1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Private or public schools for kids - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by SpacemanSpiff, May 8, 2013.

1. May 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    '12 Silver Streak stocker
    Another teacher here, 18 years in education with a Masters plus, and I can tell you that the greatest key to a child's success is parental involvement. The correlation between high achieving students and parents who actually value education is irrefutable. Unfortunately, so many parents use public school as day-care, not as a stepping stone towards self improvement. My daughter has been in two different public school systems, and both of them have their faults (some are fairly large faults), but we spend as much time with her as needed to ensure she is continuing to improve as a learner. If children see that their parents care, have high expectations for them and take an active role in their education, they will learn through modeling of that behavior that hard work and effort pay off.

2. May 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    97Blk_one

97Blk_one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    A whole lot,But not satify
    Your daughter should be proud to have a parents like y'all sir. Thank you for all you do, and done for the children....thank you !

3. May 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    NC
    Vehicle:
    10 taco
    B Leary of private schools. I attended private and the rules out of the school are very strict. Very controlling. Also I liked the class of ppl in public schools better than private. Most are dicks cause they think they are better. I left private my sophomore year and attended public thru graduation. Saw no diff in teaching and actually saw more hands on attention in public. Private holds u to such high standards that if u struggle it's harder to keep up. If u have reputable public in the area then do some research. U may b surprised how good they can b. myself and my graduating class that I still keep up with have done really well. Private schools had nothing to do with me getting into a good college. I was told this upon getting accepted. Grades are what count. Good luck in ur choice.

4. May 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    NC
    Vehicle:
    10 taco
    ^ x2. This is what really counts and cheers to y'all as parents. Lucky child. Others should take notes... The world would b a better place if all parents shared ur views.

5. May 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    '12 Silver Streak stocker
    Isn't y'all singular and all y'all plural? :)

Thanks for the compliments, but really, it's not that hard keeping her focused on school. My parents did it for me (as much as I resisted like the rebellious jerk I was), and eventually it took hold. Realistically, if more parents read to their children instead of plunking them down in from of the TV, those kids would be so much more ready to learn. Besides, working with my daughter is the only way I can keep some semblance of basic Algebra knowledge. It's amazing the body of information students are required to be proficient in these days.

6. May 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    no matter what you decide just keep your pulse on your kids grades, school home work etc..

7. May 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Thank you

Vouchers would make the OP's decision easier. And if the success of current voucher programs are any indication...it probably would help the youngster receive the best possible education.

8. May 8, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    Best answer! The quality of the public school is just as good as the people who live in that area. If you leave in a run down, gun loving, welfare recipients area, then the school is the same way. Good neighborhoods where
    parents demand their children to learn, will have a good school as the result.

9. May 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    I say private school. We have our 4 1/2 in private catholic school for almost two years. I'm anti religion but I wouldn't tell her what to think aboutgod.ill let her decide how she feels when she is older.i think private will teach more manners/morals and respect for people unlike public schools.some towns have amazing public schools but my town isn't one of the top schools so i chose private.

10. May 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    Sje1124

Sje1124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBL Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Just a few
    We had our daughter in a private school and we paid $780 a month......got to expensive so now she goes to a public school since we moved to a better area

11. May 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Thank you, sir! And thanks to all that have answered! Step away for a couple of hours and look at all the responses! Just goes to show how great of a community TW is! Thanks to all of you.

12. May 9, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I'd like to clarify my position on my earlier post here. It's not that I really mind paying school taxes via home ownership even with no kids in school, but so much is spent on other stuff rather than paying for good teachers and kids learning more, which is the main point of school to begin with. Too much is spent on administrator salaries and focus on building college level campuses and stadiums IMO. Kinda the same as paying federal taxes, if they weren't wasted so much and everyone paid into it equally then it'd be more palatable.

13. May 9, 2013 at 5:19 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    Go talk to a local police officer. Around here, most local cops grew up in the Town and went through the school system - they also know the trouble within the schools. They can shed light on how much riff-raff comes about due to the kids and most are very willing to give it to you straight up if you ask.

14. May 9, 2013 at 5:20 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road

Very good point. I also have a problem with school taxes. Here they are astronomical - while I understand that its "supposed" to go to the kids, it goes exactly as you say. I, for one, think that seniors should not have to pay school taxes - there is no way this can be justified... But as we all know, the public system is just another business. If it weren't, then why are the standardized so all-fired important? To get state money, bottom line. Hell, when I was a teacher, we were ordered to spend 10 minutes every day in each class going over the previous year's test to "prepare" the kids for the real one...now what does that say?

15. May 9, 2013 at 5:21 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road

Wow, have never thought of that! Will definitely have to do that one. Thanks!

16. May 9, 2013 at 5:24 AM
    97Blk_one

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    I could agree on that one.Where I'm reside they tried to lay off teachers just to save money for the city, we already got the worse school system in the nation. What the future of the children may hold, we only hope for the best....

17. May 9, 2013 at 5:28 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road

^This. I, for one, am really worried about the future of the children. They already have to grow up way too fast - but am not just talking about their education...a child should be able to be a child without any worries. Like when I was little, I could go out and play until dark - now I wouldn't even think about letting my kids do that when they get old enough - maybe if we lived in a very rural place or had a farm or something like that...

18. May 9, 2013 at 5:41 AM
    97Blk_one

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    things have changed,it's aint like when we were kid anymore.

19. May 9, 2013 at 5:48 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Unfortunately, that is so true. I don't want to shelter them from everything, yet at the same time I still want them to have that innocence of childhood. But, there are a lot of good things now, too. We can only do what we think is best and pray that things work out...

20. May 9, 2013 at 5:54 AM
    buzzard1992

buzzard1992 Yep

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    01 4wd trd, 255/85/16 km2s
    5100's with eibachs. And 255/85/16 km2s
    I attended public from 1st till 7th grade. I went on to a private school after that. I personally will not put my kids in private school. Here we have charter schools and that seems like a better option. At my private school I'm pretty sure anyone with a degree could teach. The teachers were awesome and I still talk to most of them today. But I also graduated with a 3.75 GPA and in my senior year I never once brought my book bag home. Instead I deer hunted everyday after school. And still had straight A's and a B. Which did not leave me prepared for college. My first semester was hell. But I've graduated with an associates degree and have a very good job now. My point is, You need to do your research on the private school of that's the way you want to go

Products Discussed in

To Top