Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Tear down the Sandy Hook School???

Old 05-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Tear down the Sandy Hook School???

Looks like they voted unanimously to tear it down and rebuild on the same site.

http://www.mediacomtoday.com/news/re..._hook_rebui-ap

Your thoughts??
Old 05-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Fire Pony/Stalking Horse
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
I'm actually jumping on the conspiracy bandwagon with this (I usually don't) but a lot of stuff I've seen and read doesn't make any sense and it makes me just a bit suspicious.

I found a website before where someone visited the location afterwards and the entire placed was fenced in with barbed wire on the top and only one of the windows was covered in wood and the school's name was removed from the side of the building. It had signs saying that it was under surveillance but there were no cameras to be seen.

Though I'm not entirely sure why they would need a completely new school but who knows. There's many places where shootings have occurred and there wasn't a need for the building to be torn down.

I'm just more curious of the intentions behind all this.

On a side note, a lot of the parents are saying things like "I don't want my kid attending the school where his sister died". If it takes them 3 years to rebuild, won't most of the kids be on to a new school anyway?
Old 05-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Make the mom pay for it.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Fire Pony/Stalking Horse
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
I find it strange too (I'm reading some other articles about it) that if these people are so touchy about "attending the same school" then why did they transfer all the students to another place and renamed it to Sandy Hook?

"The 430 surviving students are attending a renovated school renamed Sandy Hook Elementary School in the neighboring town of Monroe"
Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
seems to me if the site is now sacred...make it a park or memorial sanctuary or something.

but, to tear down and rebuild doesn't make economic sense.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
Banned
denali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the shed
denali climber's Tacoma Gallery
I think it would be extremely traumatic for the surviving children to attend the school.

Probably a good idea to start over and give the children a chance to be normal and have fun at school.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by denali climber View Post
I think it would be extremely traumatic for the surviving children to attend the school.

Probably a good idea to start over and give the children a chance to be normal and have fun at school.
so send them to a different school

I think it's dumb as hell and a waste of tax payer money to tear down an entire school and rebuild another in the exact same place
Old 05-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Waste of tax dollars.

Edit:

"A study found building a new school on the existing site would cost $57 million."

MASSIVE waste of tax dollars.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Waste of tax dollars.

Edit:

"A study found building a new school on the existing site would cost $57 million."

MASSIVE waste of tax dollars.

unless the school was in need of desperate repairs what is just crazy. There are school districts all over the country that cant afford to pay teachers or supply kids with paper or the most basic after school activities or arts classes, but building a brand new school is the best use of that 57 million dollars...
Old 05-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #10
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
I'm actually jumping on the conspiracy bandwagon with this (I usually don't) but a lot of stuff I've seen and read doesn't make any sense and it makes me just a bit suspicious.

I found a website before where someone visited the location afterwards and the entire placed was fenced in with barbed wire on the top and only one of the windows was covered in wood and the school's name was removed from the side of the building. It had signs saying that it was under surveillance but there were no cameras to be seen.

Though I'm not entirely sure why they would need a completely new school but who knows. There's many places where shootings have occurred and there wasn't a need for the building to be torn down.

I'm just more curious of the intentions behind all this.

On a side note, a lot of the parents are saying things like "I don't want my kid attending the school where his sister died". If it takes them 3 years to rebuild, won't most of the kids be on to a new school anyway?
Basically this! Why the need to raze it just to build another in its place...? Really gives the alternative thinkers some ground to stand on.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
It’s their money there school district if they feel its money well spent have at it. Personally I think it's dumb. When I was young in Jr high school one of the kids was killed by his friend (my friends too) playing with a gun. No grief counselors no media and the school still stands. Life is not easy things happen kids are very resilient they get over things unless it keeps coming up. I’m sure a shrink would tell me I’m all wet but that’s my opinion.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Waste of money...I will never understand why people are so weird about stuff like this. My Grandma passed away in the living room of her and Grandpa's (now mine) modular home and I haven't demolished the trailer and set another on the foundation. In fact, I spent the summer remodeling and improving the place last year. It's like the world trade center, as sad as that was they are moving on and built something new there instead of leaving the lot bare as a memorial.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
azsean is on a distinguished road
Name: sean
azsean's Tacoma Gallery
i lived in the next town over from sandy hook (monroe). its totally understandable that the kids dont wanna be in that school after all the blood shed. think they should make it a memorial and build a new school down the street.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Itís their money there school district if they feel its money well spent have at it. Personally I think it's dumb. When I was young in Jr high school one of the kids was killed by his friend (my friends too) playing with a gun. No grief counselors no media and the school still stands. Life is not easy things happen kids are very resilient they get over things unless it keeps coming up. Iím sure a shrink would tell me Iím all wet but thatís my opinion.
U.S. Depertment of Education = our money.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsean View Post
i lived in the next town over from sandy hook (monroe). its totally understandable that the kids dont wanna be in that school after all the blood shed. think they should make it a memorial and build a new school down the street.
and I think they should place a memorial in the lobby...paint the place...and get back to education.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:11 AM   #16
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
U.S. Depertment of Education = our money.
Tax money CT.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #17
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
seems to me if the site is now sacred...make it a park or memorial sanctuary or something.

but, to tear down and rebuild doesn't make economic sense.
This makes more sense than tearing down and rebuilding over the top. The kids will still feel it is the same place, because essentially it will be. New walls and new roof does not make it a new place. If they are going to tear it down, at least move the new school to another location and put a memorial where the old school is/was
Why not continue to use the same building as they are now? 57 million is a lot of fuel for the school buses to take them there.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 AM   #18
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
I could understand the thought of not wanting to "re-live" the nightmare emotionally, for teachers, students, surrounding parents and neighbors. Although extreme, I can buy that, but then to tear it down and rebuild right in the same spot. If you are a parent who lost your child there, and 5 years down the road you have to pull up to the main drive and drop your younger child off, it doesn't matter if it is a new name, new building, or whatever, it will still hurt. If they destroy it, they should find a completely new location for the new school. I'm not ready to shout conspiracy, but this is just plain dumb.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
It wouldn't be the biggest waste of taxpayer's dollars ever
Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #20
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
It wouldn't be the biggest waste of taxpayer's dollars ever
Not the largest amount, but could it be the biggest waste simply based on the reason of the waste? I'm not arguing with you, just proposing a counter question, I wouldn't say it is the biggest either.