Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Angelina Jolie Double Mastectomy

Old 05-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #21
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by denali climber View Post
I havent found any studies to confirm her assertion that she had an 87% chance of that specific cancer if she kept her breasts.
I think her odds jumped considerably because her mother died of cervical cancer:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...be-overstated/
Old 05-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #22
Banned
denali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the shed
denali climber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I think her odds jumped considerably because her mother died of cervical cancer:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...be-overstated/

Most of the studies I have read dont adequately study the number of people with the gene mutations that dont get cancer.

They rely too heavily on people who DO get cancer and how many of them have the gene mutation.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #23
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Most of the studies I have read dont adequately study the number of people with the gene mutations that dont get cancer.

They rely too heavily on people who DO get cancer and how many of them have the gene mutation.
Because most people who are tested have presented with symptoms that indicate cancer.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #24
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
I don't necessarily care about hearing about her and/or Brad every other week for whatever reason but this time is the exception. I respect the informed choice she made based upon her own personal genetic history and knowledge of what chances she had to face same destiny as her mother. It also goes pretty far to help other women facing a similar possibility to find the courage to take the same self preservation actions.
This.

I know someone who went through the same choice and procedure. Her sister is ten years older and had cancer. She had the genetic test and chose to take them off. From what I hear, the recovery isn't easy. It may well have extended her life and saved her from chemo.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #25
Banned
denali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the shed
denali climber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Because most people who are tested have presented with symptoms that indicate cancer.
either way, the numbers jolie referenced dont appear to be scientifically sound.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #26
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
either way, the numbers jolie referenced dont appear to be scientifically sound.
I personally think the numbers surrounding cancer are difficult in the same vein that each cancer diagnosis is different than the last or the next. Which is to say any discussion of numbers in the general context has to be well qualified.

Sure, you might have pancreatic cancer but why do some live only a short while after diagnosis while others live well past the 95th percentile (even when the tumor size/location/etc are similar)? Why do some tumors respond to different treatments differently? This is why I say well qualified.

I'm sure that Jolie and her physician discussed the numbers based on whatever testing was done (at least I hope so). And I hope she was given the proper context of those numbers.

Hope that makes sense.