Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

NTSB and .05% alcohol level

Old 05-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
NTSB and .05% alcohol level

The NTSB wants to lower the blood alcohol limit to 0.05% What do you all think about that?
Old 05-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
More convictions. Would it changed much on a large scale? Probably not.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Wouldn't matter to me. I want to get my CDL and you can't be over that with it anyway.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
It would be interesting to see what percentage of alcohol related accidents occured when the operator was between 0.05% - 0.08%. My belief and life experience has taught me that most drunk driving accidents happen when the operator is above the 0.08% - all reducing it will do is hurt the regular guy who has a beer or two and wants to go home. From my understanding too, 0.08% is not that noticable, how the hell would someone with 0.05% even know they are not OK to drive?

People who drive drunk will continue to drive drunk regardless of the legal limit.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Banned
denali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the shed
denali climber's Tacoma Gallery
More important than lowering the limit is punishing people who are actually convicted.

Especially for multiple convictions.

I have many friends who have multiple DUI convictions and not one has ever spent more than 2 days in jail.

I think a second conviction for DUI should be mandatory 1 year in jail.

Drunk drivers kill 12,000 innocent people every year.

They should be punished severly.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
It would be interesting to see what percentage of alcohol related accidents occured when the operator was between 0.05% - 0.08%. My belief and life experience has taught me that most drunk driving accidents happen when the operator is above the 0.08% - all reducing it will do is hurt the regular guy who has a beer or two and wants to go home. From my understanding too, 0.08% is not that noticable, how the hell would someone with 0.05% even know they are not OK to drive?

People who drive drunk will continue to drive drunk regardless of the legal limit.
That depends on a lot of factors. I gave FSTs to a person that was a functioning alcoholic and blew WAYYYY above .08% and completed most FSTs dead on. Certain physiological effects can't be avoided or learned though and those take effect far before .08% so it is noticeable in that sense.

I concur with stricter punishments. Obviously the total cost over the long run isn't enough for some, so bump it up. Believe what you will as far as studies but .05% shows a dramatic loss in reaction time. I don't agree with the "1 is okay to drive" theory but that's just me.

Study from NHTSA in 2000, like I said take it as you wish. http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/r...esults.htm#3.1
Old 05-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Well, the NTSB only recommends, they don't force the standard on the states. The only way it would happen is if it was mandated by restricting freeway funds.

I don't think I'd have too much trouble with it as I save most of my drinking for when I'm at home. From what I've read, for my size, I'd have to drink 4 drinks in an hour to reach .08 whereas it's 2 drinks per hour for .05. I may have one or two beers with a dinner but never more than that.

I'm also curious as to how many people involved in accidents had a BAC of 0.05 -0.08. I believe they're estimating that it would save about 1000/year, so that means about 8.3% of those accidents were for people between 0.05 and 0.08.

Technically, the law in California currently states you can be charged with DUI even if you're at 0.05 if it's believed the alcohol contributed to that. It's just harder to prove (0.08 is statute so it's an automatic). My main concern would be for people who are fine to drive and have done nothing wrong (e.g. random alcohol checkpoint vs. bad driving).
Old 05-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I always wonder what exactly .08 would feel like for me. I'm certainly against drunk driving and agree thang repeat offenders should face severe punishing but I also don't have a problem with having a couple beers when I'm out, especially since I generally drink light beer.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
How it works here is if you are over .08 it's a DUI. If you are .05-.08 you lose your licence for a week and your car towed. My understanding when they changed the law was they wanted people to stop the "just one more, I'll be fine". Since .05 is basically one drink or less the law makers wanted to stop people from having two, three or four.

I stick with the one drink max while I'm driving and zero if I'm riding. But I completely agree with guitarjamman that drunk drivers will drive drunk regardless.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Well, the NTSB only recommends, they don't force the standard on the states. The only way it would happen is if it was mandated by restricting freeway funds.

I don't think I'd have too much trouble with it as I save most of my drinking for when I'm at home. From what I've read, for my size, I'd have to drink 4 drinks in an hour to reach .08 whereas it's 2 drinks per hour for .05. I may have one or two beers with a dinner but never more than that.

I'm also curious as to how many people involved in accidents had a BAC of 0.05 -0.08. I believe they're estimating that it would save about 1000/year, so that means about 9% of those accidents were for people between 0.05 and 0.08.

Technically, the law in California currently states you can be charged with DUI even if you're at 0.05 if it's believed the alcohol contributed to that. It's just harder to prove (0.08 is statute so it's an automatic). My main concern would be for people who are fine to drive and have done nothing wrong (e.g. random alcohol checkpoint vs. bad driving).
That sir is the big one. The real question is are you dangerous at 0.05%?

First time i heard this news:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI

They need to change the charges, not lower the limit. Make the consequences a lot greater.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
I've always been curious about the accident statistics they compile that "involved alcohol". Does it mean they determined conclusively the incident was caused by the alcohol or just that they determined one or more drivers, regardless of fault or circumstances, had a measurable BAC?
Old 05-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by denali climber View Post
More important than lowering the limit is punishing people who are actually convicted.

Especially for multiple convictions.

I have many friends who have multiple DUI convictions and not one has ever spent more than 2 days in jail.

I think a second conviction for DUI should be mandatory 1 year in jail.

Drunk drivers kill 12,000 innocent people every year.

They should be punished severly.
good money buys good lawyers that's the system
Old 05-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post

I'm with ya.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
0.01 limit here. Anything shows up, you are under arrest.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
0.01 limit here. Anything shows up, you are under arrest.

That seems a bit drastic..how about the guy/gal stopping for ONE beer after work on Friday eve.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
You can argue either way as far as the limit. 1 beer can put someone over the edge depending on their physical status at the time that wouldn't normally even give them a buzz. I still feel it's a punishment issue rather than limit issue though, but people will still do it because well...people are people.

Over here if they THINK they smell alcohol you're done, no breathalyzer just jail. Thank the lord for Western laws!
Old 05-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #17
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
TOO LOW--Just more BS government CONTROL.
FYI-Never drive while intoxicated.
NEVER.
One beer and you go to jail--FUCKING BS
SLEEP DEPRIVATION is more dangerous than .08.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
Here in New Brunswick, Canadaif you are caught with 0.05% - 0.08% you can have your license suspended for a week or so. Maybe they should start with something along those lines before just lowering the BAC all together.

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/de...spensions.html
Old 05-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #19
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You can be charged with a DUI for being to tired or on pills. The alcohol limit is somewhat of a moot point. It's not DWI anymore. If they think you are UNDER ANY INFLUENCE you are busted.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #20
NRA Endowment - Member
mwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwc273's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

I wish they would set the gasoline alcohol level that low!