1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

unemployed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Greytacoma1, May 24, 2013.

1. May 26, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I read something the other day about job searches. Something like 25% of hires are personal referrals. Only 12% come from places like Career Builder or Monster.com.

It's not that you should ignore these sites but you're better off calling and talking to people you know as you look for work.

Good luck in your search!

2. May 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3

Yeah that doesn't surprise me. I only had a few hits with those sites. This job I am hoping to start soon actually came from the employment services at my school. I called the manager once and left a voice mail. After not hearing back after a few days I called again and actually spoke to him.

3. May 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    This thread humbles me.

At 53 y/o, and self employed nearly my entire life...I have never been unemployed.

Matter of fact, I recently was about to go semi-retire...but was offered a position with an awesome company that I couldn't pass up.

I am truly blessed.

4. May 26, 2013 at 2:01 PM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    Sometimes you just click at what you do and you stick with it :D I'd love to own my own business

5. May 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    Greytacoma1

Greytacoma1 [OP] Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    Sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma dc lb
    Satoshi grill, Plasti derp, Ready lift kit, Wheelers 2 inch aal, Hella 700, Wheather tech floor mats, Blueinstinct armrest cover, sockmonkey bed decal, BHLM, debadge, 35% tint front windows, OEM roof rack, OEM step bar, TRD skid plate, tacomaworld.com decal, stock antenna trimed, gorilla extended lug nuts,diff breather mod, cab mount chop, AVS window visor, spidertrax 1.25 wheel spacers, toytec sway bar relocate, extra d ring mod
    Yea, after I was laid off I actually attended this truck driving school and got my CDL out of it. So just looking for a driving job locally. But it ain't easy.

6. May 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    You're not a firefighter still?

Unemployed and was able to travel to Asia? Wow, maybe you don't need to be employed!! :p

I live paycheck to mouth every week. Even missing one day of work is hard for me. The sad part is that the school told me that I was eligible for free lunches for my kid when he was attending. I was also told that I'm eligible for food stamps. But I would not take that. I didn't want to teach him to take things for free when you can work for them.

7. May 26, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    97Blk_one

97Blk_one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    A whole lot,But not satify
    It will be brighter,when the bank kick me out of the house. Some of us have bills, and family to take care of...

8. May 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Not anymore because I injured my back a few years ago and my knees are jacked up as well. Firefighting did a number on both those areas so for my own good, I quit because I didn't want to be in a wheel chair by the time I was 30. :( Miss it every day

9. May 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Sorry to hear that, I know it's hard to give up something that you love. How long were you a firefighter? Was the injury due to the job? If so, I would hope they have a re-training and placement program.

10. May 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    MIAtaco

MIAtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Miami FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma base lifted
    2.75" front lift 2.5" rear, pro comp es3000 rear shocks w/ orange shock boots, custom exhaust, k&n cold air intake, 20" led light bar behind grill, aftermarket grill, T-rex3 eyelids, pioneer HD radio
    Unemployed again, got terminate while on workers comp so going to talk to an attorney soon

11. May 26, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com

To this all I have to say is a shit paycheck is better than no paycheck at all. I worked as a janitor for 6 months so that I could keep food on the table for my kids. You do what you have to in order to survive.

I got my first job at a dealership simply because I had patience. I picked up an application at a dealership that I had been wanting to work at for a long time. (At this time I was working in the automotive department at Sears doing brakes and alignments) After I filled out the application I came back in the morning to speak to the service manager. I arrived at 7am and the manager came out, shook my hand, and said he would return to come interview me as soon as he took care of a few things. at 11 am, 4 hours later, he stepped out to the customer's lounge to speak to a customer and saw me sitting there. You could see the look in his eye as he realized he had forgotten all about me. Well he called me into his office and had me sit for a few while he spoke to the customer. When he came into the office he asked why I hadn't asked the receptionist to get him after waiting for a little while. I told him that I knew he had an important job, and that I didn't want to take away from the customers or his techs. I let him know I was a patient man, and that I was willing to wait my turn. The man didn't even read over my job application. He hired me on the spot, and then sponsored me in the ASEP program for introductory techs to get a degree program courtesy of General Motors. Now, 20 years later I have my own business after working for GM for many years, advancing from line tech to team leader, shop foreman, and was groomed for service manager before my divorce in 2010. I credit my determination and patience to getting my dream job.

12. May 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    Also on the same boat as some of you guys. Being un-employed does suck, it really gets you mentally. The bills ain't gonna pay for itself. My savings pretty much went down the drain. It's pretty hard to find a job/career that you truly want to be in. But I wouldn't mind just taking anything that has decent pay, that can pay the bills and put food on the table.

Price of living in paradise is expensive, so I'm cutting back on what I spend money on. Been applying a lot and sending out resumes here and there. And bummer thing is that I get an email back saying the position has already been filled, or I'm not qualified enough for it.

But I've never gave up yet, pretty much on a daily bases I'm checking Indeed, Monster and like someone said Craiglist, and other local job sites.

Good luck everyone out there, and in their search for something better.

13. May 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    http://www1.honolulu.gov/hr/

:)

14. May 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Got my certification back in 2008. I was injured in 2011 but it was off the job. I was mountain biking. Basically 2 things I loved doing went out the door because of a tree that got in my way.

15. May 26, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    That's why I ride a hard tail 29er instead of all mountain bikes and down hill bikes now, I sold them all after a bad wreck 2 years ago. I jacked my back up but it luckily didn't end my career. Sorry to hear that man.

16. May 26, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Yeah all I did was XC stuff on my hard tail. Nothing intense. Just came around a corner and slammed into the tree moving pretty quick. Still get spasms and sciatica issues. I would have kept going with the FF had it not been for the sciatica problems. Those bring me to tears.

17. May 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I have been lucky all my life I guess ... never was on unemployment.

Was "gently pushed out the door by a big company once" (was doing a good job there too) and was crushed ... :(

Then a foreign competitor hired me and I put the old company out of business in 5 years ... :D

Worked my azz off since I was 12 and semi-retired at 46 and am busier than ever now.

Personally ... I love to work ... makes me feel good to do something.

If you are out of a job ... the guy who is the most aggressive will get the few jobs left in a tight market (and you need some luck too).

I wish you guys the best ... looking for a job is much harder than working one because you have to be more creative.

Good luck fellows ... :D

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  18. Jun 3, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    alwaysfaded

alwaysfaded Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So. Cal.
    Vehicle:
    08 Black taco, 5 spd.
    blacked out tint, k&n drop in, removed secondary filter, kenwood 7" touchscreen, 12" memphis audio sub, 1000 watt amp, Alpine type R conponets
    Just an update ::

Had an interview today, went well and they want me to come back tomorrow for a second interview! Trying to not get overly excited but a second interview is usually a good step. Much better than getting the "..well thanks for coming in, we'll be in touch with you".

Update tomorrow if I get it

19. Jun 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    Greytacoma1

Greytacoma1 [OP] Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    Sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma dc lb
    Satoshi grill, Plasti derp, Ready lift kit, Wheelers 2 inch aal, Hella 700, Wheather tech floor mats, Blueinstinct armrest cover, sockmonkey bed decal, BHLM, debadge, 35% tint front windows, OEM roof rack, OEM step bar, TRD skid plate, tacomaworld.com decal, stock antenna trimed, gorilla extended lug nuts,diff breather mod, cab mount chop, AVS window visor, spidertrax 1.25 wheel spacers, toytec sway bar relocate, extra d ring mod
    Goodluck man? You got this.

20. Jun 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    alwaysfaded

alwaysfaded Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So. Cal.
    Vehicle:
    08 Black taco, 5 spd.
    blacked out tint, k&n drop in, removed secondary filter, kenwood 7" touchscreen, 12" memphis audio sub, 1000 watt amp, Alpine type R conponets
    Thank you sir!

Products Discussed in

To Top