Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

My Need For Speed

Old 08-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #61
Get Boosted
ToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the rough

Name: Eric
ToyotaTacoma4Ever's Tacoma Gallery
Some more news with the skyline

Got the engine bay all nicely cleaned up and got the front bumper bar off since it was rusted pretty badly

So with the bumper bar off fixed the rust issues by sanding the rust off and painting it back over with rustoleom white paint. It pretty much looks like new again! Did the same for my horns as they were looking very rough

Now back to the engine. Got the transmission disconnected off from the engine

Then came the engine strip down! So this included fuel rail, injectors, intake plenum, the two turbos, exhaust manifolds and all the oil, coolant and vacuum lines

And here it is all off the engine sitting beside the transmission

So that was last weekends work. Never got the engine on the engine stand yet because I don't have long enough metric bolts to go into the block. So this was as far as I can go before it gets mounted. Work for another day!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #62
Get Boosted
ToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the rough

Well another day with the skyline

Let The Engine Strip Down Commence

So start taking the main crankshaft pulley with the the timing belt and cam gears. Then the intake manifold with the cam covers after with the cams. By the time you know it the head is off and it's looking like this

Now was time to take the oil pan off. You can see in the picture below that the front diff is connected to the oil pan. The whole reason why the engine came out for a blown diff.

Engine oil pan off and sitting on the ground, then the pic on the engine

Main lower bearing brace removed with all the baffling

And finally got all the pistons out sitting pretty on the bench

So another day done with everything almost everything dis-assembled. All that's gotta be done is cleaning and take a closer look at my front diff

Old 08-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #63
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Awe yeah. This just got good.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #64
Banned
1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Samuel
1993t100's Tacoma Gallery
OH
MY
GAWD

Old 08-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #65
Get Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Awe yeah. This just got good.
Literally took a year to get here finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie g View Post
nice car with a lot of good old sweat, best wishes with the build yet while your working on that car shoe horn one of these in there,
Thanks man, I sure hope everything goes well too. Nice car to show lol
Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #66
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
subd

Nice r33!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:38 PM   #67
Get Boosted

Well got around to removing the crank shaft from the block including the oil pump

Inspected all the bearing journals and the cylinder bores. All looks well without the need of re-boring the cylinders so im pretty happy about that

So now it was time to inspect my front diff so here we go. Took off the front cover and the side cover to where it seal on the side. Split the flange and removed the whole extended shaft

Once that was out it was a little bit of manoeuvering to get the diff out

Here's the whole reason why the engine came out (don't mean to keep repeating myself but ive got proof of what happened now) Pictures will do the talking

Now no one in my town will clean up the oil pan or the engine block so i'll be driving down to the bigger city down south for the shop im bringing my engine parts can do the following jobs for me

-Balance the crankshaft
-Clean and flux coat (check for cracks) the oil pan
-Clean and flux coat (check for cracks) the engine block
-Deck and re-hone engine block

So pretty much saran-wrapped the oil pan, engine block and lower bearing brace and in the Tacoma it goes for a road trip down south for next weekend

There you go for all you readers. Everything dismantled and now we can start the re-building phase of things for then engine and a new front diff
Old 08-31-2014, 06:56 PM   #68
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Awesome, I'm doing basically the same thing with my corolla. The 3TC is about a million times simpler though

Sorry if I missed it but are you planning on replacing the pistons/rods for more boost?
Old 08-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #70
Get Boosted

Quote:
Awesome, I'm doing basically the same thing with my corolla. The 3TC is about a million times simpler though

Sorry if I missed it but are you planning on replacing the pistons/rods for more boost?
Oh yeah I bet it's much easier haha

It's on my first page why I wanna build my motor but no worries, I haven't really explained to much on exactly why anyways

The stock engine can handle 500 hp but your pushing it and you better have a great tune to run that but before you even hit 500 you have to replace the head gasket to a metal one

I'd like to hit somewhere between 500 - 600 hp reliably so a full forged bottom end is an overkill but I'll have a bullet proof bottom end. I'd like to hit a minimum of 20 psi with the new turbos so we'll see where this goes

Still don't have a plan for the engine head haha
Old 09-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #71
Get Boosted

Time to take apart everything in the diff which included that smaller axle/shaft, bearings and seals. Got a hand from my old man on this one!

Before i went down south to the shop a good friend of mine already has the tomei baffle installed which he told me the drain back hole in the oil pan have to be enlarged as part of the instructions. I did just that but needed one hell of a long bit to get the far side of the hole since the drill would hit the side before the bit would go through

After the mod i left the next day to drop off my block and oil pan. Got news that the balancing required all of the rotating assembly which is pistons, rods, crankshaft, harmonic balancer and flywheel. Well shucks thats gonna have to wait for later until i get the pistons, rods and harmonic balancer!

Back at home with the one day trip. That amde for a long day driving in the taco. So back at home and at the car again.

Theres this charcoal canister in the engine bay which is used for emissions purposes which is getting deleted (EVERYONE gets rid of these)

So with the canister out already when i pulled the engine it was just lines left over. It was easy as snip, cut pull out haha

There is one issue though the canister see'e which is fuel vapors from the gas tank which is the line in the pic above. So snip and cut again half way down the frame of the car and bend it back into the frame.

So thats all I've got for now until i hear back from the shop with my block and oil pan. Still figuring out what to do with my head. Still have yet to order any pistons, rods or bearings. So next update might be in a couple of weeks or so
Old 09-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #72
Get Boosted

Quote:
sounds like your using a good machine shop that knows. telling you to bring the rods, pistons, rings. pins balancer and flywheel,

like what your doing and how carful you are being,
The shop I brought my block to are big into making big block V8's. They have seen the inline 6 blocks before and they're all old guys working in the shop so I'm sure they have plenty of experience. I'll see how they do with the machining on my block.

Until I hear from them is when I can start ordering any kind of parts for the block
Old 09-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #73
Z E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of light
Z E R 0's Tacoma Gallery
Nice
Old 09-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #74
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTacoma4Ever View Post
Oh yeah I bet it's much easier haha

It's on my first page why I wanna build my motor but no worries, I haven't really explained to much on exactly why anyways

The stock engine can handle 500 hp but your pushing it and you better have a great tune to run that but before you even hit 500 you have to replace the head gasket to a metal one

I'd like to hit somewhere between 500 - 600 hp reliably so a full forged bottom end is an overkill but I'll have a bullet proof bottom end. I'd like to hit a minimum of 20 psi with the new turbos so we'll see where this goes

Still don't have a plan for the engine head haha
Oops.

Well that sounds awesome. Looking forward to the 4 wheel burnout videos!
Old 09-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #75
Get Boosted

Quote:
Oops.

Well that sounds awesome. Looking forward to the 4 wheel burnout videos!
no worries man

haha oh yeah! that will be a time! I've got a friend who owns the identical car as me with a built engine and he can spin in 1st on all fours! The shitty thing is that he ran into the same front diff issue as me with to many launches at the drag strip
Old 09-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #76
Get Boosted

Quote:
watched a kid at the local drag strip last night for test and tune do just that, a turbo Subaru launched it and blew the trans .sad part was him and his mother with him to take photo's drove the car to the track for his very first drag run, home was 70 miles away,

she got ticked when us old timers asked if they drove it or towed it? then said never drive what your racing, been there done that . one long tow or hitch hiking home makes one know race it! tow it! never drive to what you race.
Nice story and I'm sure that's a lesson learned

That's a good thing my friend that has the front diff issue tows his car down since home is around 450KM away. Me and my other friend we drove to the same track with both our skylines for the circuit racing and not the drag strip. I brought pretty much all my tools and some spare parts in case we did break down. Luckily nothing big happened other then a leaking fuel line :$
Old 09-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #77
Get Boosted

Well even after a couple weeks things are slowed down. Manage to work some OT for the upcoming bills I've got coming haha

So the block is still in the shop since they found my cylinders to be tapered and needed to be re-bored to next size. So 86.5mm pistons it is. They have ordered the CP pistons and Eagle Rods, soon to order ACL bearings. Shop is still waiting on mail to get my pistons in, but I did get to check out my beautiful con rods

On this weekend I got off from work and not working the OT, I dropped off my flywheel, my ATI Harmonic Dampener and crankshaft off for everything can get balanced

So now the shop pretty much has my entire bottom end and it's simply a waiting game now. So who knows when the next update on this build will be. Stay Tuned!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #78
Get Boosted

Quote:
sweet rods.nice and strong. it's now fall slow down and watch it all fall in place for spring
Yes those rods are very strong! Rated up to 1200 HP lol

Yeah the rebuild is gonna take a while so it is a winter project, sure hope everything falls into place with the car when spring comes around
Old 12-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #79
Get Boosted

Well a nice 4 month wait and I finally got my block back, to bad I was in such a rush to get mounted and wrapped I nearly forgot to take a picture. I had a long day and drive so you guys will eventually see the block all done lol

The Oil Pan looks sooo fresh!

With that said got all my other parts (pistons, rods and bearings) just need to order a new set of ARP main bolts but there's still so much to do while I wait for them to come in the mail! Got the crankshaft back in there too!