1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

**Trending Video** Police Shoot Man's Dog

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by RJALLDAY702, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 5, 2013 at 3:06 AM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak

This...

Who is "we"?

A "split decision" is not the same as a "life-or-death split decision"

A mechanic or a hairdresser or a salesperson may indeed have to make a quick decisive action to complete a task... However, the outcome of that decision is far less likely to have an immediate, irreversible, life-altering outcome. The general public tends to work in industries that have some kind of schedule, with timelines, and specific goals, and back-up plans that create an acceptable margin of error, and fail-safes if something goes wrong. Also, when something goes wrong in these industries, it's generally not life-or-death wrong.

Every time a cop pulls a vehicle over, or knocks on a door to do a welfare check, or responds to a domestic disturbance call, or stops traffic on a highway to assist a broken down motorist... It has the potential to be the last thing they do as a human. A cop's training is an attempt give each individual officer the "mental tools", knowledge and skill, to accurately assess, and appropriately respond to any and all aspects of an unknown dynamic situation, which can have constantly and rapidly changing variables.

It's just different. Trying to spell it out to someone who doesn't "get it" is difficult and futile, I know. If you don't get "it", it's very easy to sit back on the aforementioned couch saying how "oh well they're trained in this and they should have done that."

And as it was said before, unless you're in, or have a very clear understanding of, any career that finds themselves repeatedly putting themselves in situations that could be life-or-death for themselves or another person, such as Military/LEO/Fire (and several others), then... you probably don't get it. Monday morning quarterback all you like, it's very interesting to hear what YOU would have done in that exact situation that you've never been in (or anything like it for that matter).

But to be honest, regardless of the circumstances surrounding that video, in the few seconds that the shots were taken.... Remove everything before the dog got out of the car, because none of the other stuff that happened prior to that matters... But in those moments, the dog became a serious threat to safety and the officer made the least wrong decision.

2. Jul 5, 2013 at 6:58 AM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    Dog died from ones persons actions. The non compliant idiot that brought the dog into the situation.

How can you possibly be so out of touch with reality? Take a moment, and an open mind for a second and read the post above this.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  3. Jul 5, 2013 at 7:18 AM
    ANT2013taco

ANT2013taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    McAllen Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR 4wd
    Given the exact same situation, 60% of people would do the same thing the officer did and would walk away from the situation. The other 40% would let the dog attack them and the dog would walk away from the situation.

I would rather do the walking.

This is a no win argument, this thread could continue for a long time to come. Infuriating a lot of people in its wake, It will probably be closed due to that. Brings to mind another issue involving LEO's from some time back, Rodney King and his infamous quote...

"Can't we all just get along"

4. Jul 5, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    asuchemist

asuchemist My Hamstrings Hurt!

Member:
    South South Dirty Gilbert
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Sport V6, 23' TRD Pro 4Runner, 23' Tacoma TRD Pro
    NONE
    There is a posting on here where a guy with his wife ran into a similar scenario with a dog.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gu...apon-self-defense-gun-owners-dog-walkers.html

Having the opportunity to see it in replay rather than realtime I wish the situation was treated better. Was the officer out of line. Probably not.

The officer saw the dog as a threat and fired on the dog while he still could. Once the dog attacks and latches the officer can no longer fire the weapon. It would be to dangerous and he could end up shooting himself, the other officers, or looky-loos.

Upon reply the dog appeared to be well trained. It wasn't until the police started cuffing the owner the dog felt the need to protect. I never did see the dog make a threat other than barking and getting in stand his ground stance.

I have delt with many wild dogs growing up. I never once had to kill a dog. Threw a couple rocks in their direction etc.

I don't think the officer was wrong for shooting the dog. I think the officer was wrong in just letting the dog bleed out. He just turned his head and went on with his business.

Law enforcement has a tough job, no question about that. We all know police gun training is to take down (vitals) and not to hit a leg etc. Even from close range it is very hard to aim and purposely hit non-vital area.

That being said, law enforcement will get another negative strike.

5. Jul 5, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    DaWillDaBeast

DaWillDaBeast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 with some goodies
    Things
    For example, Should i get TGI Fridays for lunch or Applebee's....

6. Jul 5, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I will probably regret coming back into this discussion, but meh, WTH.

If you watch the video again and pay close attention you will notice that TWO officers actually sprayed him with OC. The dog reacted to that by dropping his head. Then the officer went in to reach for the leash/collar. Even though the dog had been hit with the spray does not make him no longer a danger. I feel the officer was trying to grab the leash in the hopes that a well trained dog would react to leash control, and said officer could then diffuse the dog situation. The dog lunged however as the officer reached. Sad situation, but again, just because the dog has been sprayed once does not preclude that it is now "subdued" or a safe animal.

If you had read the entire thread you will have seen that the dog owner has a long history of resisting arrest and other charges. In the few seconds after the dog jumped out of the car there is no time to, nor reason to, release the dog owner to "get his dog under control". He is a felon who has a history of resisting arrest. It would be stupid of the officers to release him.

Watch again. As mentioned TWO officers sprayed the dog in an attempt to get him down. The dog did not back down because he was smart, he backed down because he was sprayed. What should they have done at that point? Walked away? The dog was STILL a potential threat. The officer attempted a more subdued attempt by gaining control of a dog by his leash/collar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top