1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overdraft Fees...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Untamed_SS, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Feb 28, 2009 at 9:59 AM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS [OP] Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    Suck so bad. :mad:

I'm a kid so I don't balance checkbooks and all. I just log onto my account and just see whats up. Oh but sometimes the system just sucks and doesn't post things. Then I spend to much money. I have a lot of bad words lined up for them. :smash:

Who on here still uses paper and pen to manage accounts? Just wondering. I don't even have checks. Very much less a "check book" to balance and keep track of funds. I've always use the online banking.

2. Feb 28, 2009 at 10:02 AM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    I use my online banking all the time. never balanace my check book since i dont write checks. just use my debt card. I have had a few overdrafts but now i realized why not just keep track of everything. instead of when I get paid it automatically takes the fee+what ever i bought. I have saved some money this year so far with no overdraft fees. its been good.

3. Feb 28, 2009 at 10:05 AM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Yeah my bank didnt even give me checks. I got a checkbook though but I've never touched it.

Before long they wont have this stuff anymore......It will all be online. More safety

4. Feb 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    No love for my little thread, huh?

I use Quicken and I always know exactly where everything is. I think I would go nuts if that weren't the case.

I know you hate overdraft fees, but they wouldn't show up if you just kept track of what you were spending. A checkbook is a pain in the ass, but there are some really simple ways to keep up with your money if you care enough to.

5. Feb 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    :infantry:----------:bananadead:

:mad:

You ever just wanted to beat the hell out of something. :mad: I'm so mad at myself. :(

6. Feb 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Always get a receipt, then you can double check your account online to be sure everything is posted before spending any more.... Keep a log or something.

Get overdraft protection. Could cost a few $$ if you have to use it, but definately cheaper than overdraft fees

7. Feb 28, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Well-Known Member

Member:
    East of the Mississippi, South of the Ohio
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    modified for light trail use
    ^This.

Money is too damned hard to make to use "Lazy" as an excuse for wasting it.

My best advice is to get rid of your ATM card. When you cash/deposit a check, budget out how much you're gonna need (in spending money) til you get paid again. When it's gone, it's gone...but your bills will be paid.

Do you even have a budget or know how to set one up?

8. Feb 28, 2009 at 1:55 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    x2..I really need to get rid of my debit card:mad: i just checked my account yesterday, and I have $10 in it..I get paid next week:eek:

9. Feb 28, 2009 at 2:36 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Anybody use Bank of America? Experience?

10. Feb 28, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Bank of America can kiss my dick. Worst bank ever. I had them for a time and they did some shady crap, lied to me and overall the worst customer service. I think that anyone in the Military that has access to USAA should use them if not go with a Credit Union.

11. Feb 28, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Shady crap...what happened?

12. Feb 28, 2009 at 3:21 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    We had a credit card with them. I'm active duty Military and I called to see if I could get a lower interest rate. Now I'm fully aware of the requirements for the Soldiers and Sailors act and know that I'm not eligible for that. So I called 3 different times and spoke to 3 different people to see if I could get my interest rate lowered. All 3 times I was told yes I could all I had to do was get some information and fax it to them so I did. About 2 weeks later I receive a letter from them saying I didn't qualify for the Soldiers ans Sailors act (no shit that is why I called 3 different times) and I would not be getting a lower interest rate. So I called and spoke to another rep, they reviewed the information and told me that the people that told me I could get a lower rate were wrong. Then he tells me that since my account was in good standing I qualified for a lower interest rate anyways and all I needed to do was talk to a "Senior Account Manager". He transferred me to some lady and after I pass all my account info again she tells me that he was wrong and our interest rate was "variable" and I could not get a lower rate. Five different people and not one straight story. So I opened an account with USAA, was approved for a CC from them and I transfered my balance to them. However earlier that day we had made a payment (about $300) to the BofA card. We did a balance transfer of what we owed that night to USAA (not including that days payment). We checked our account about 2 days later and saw a "pending payment" for the transfer (the ammount we just paid preccessed within 2 days). We watched for 24 days as BofA waited to fully proccess the transfer once it was complete I called to cancel all my accounts. Expecting a refund for the difference we actually owed and vice the total that was paid but no joy. BofA waited so long to proccess the transfer payment that the difference was eaten up by the finance charge.

So BofA can kiss my dick and I hope they go under.

13. Feb 28, 2009 at 3:26 PM
    Lane Cypert

Lane Cypert Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lewisville, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 silver prerunner double cab TRD
    The best thing to do is if you know you you are going to be running low on funds don't use your debit card for a couple of days. Sometimes merchants will wait several days before they actually take the funds from your account. In the meantime other things can post which will cause the overdraft fees. They may take the transaction out of your available balance but it may not clear for several days.

14. Feb 28, 2009 at 4:17 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Let me guess you still have FSNB! There is nothing wrong with not using paper and pen to balance your account however you should understand that sometimes it takes a few days for things to post to your account so check your balance when you get paid then spend less than that! Remember every time you use that overdraft it cost you about $20 from your next pay day.

PS. Eat at the damn chow hall to!

15. Feb 28, 2009 at 4:40 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    I have my checking account at Charles Schwab.....I use Microsoft Money to keep up with and blance with my online banking.

I live by the debit card and bill pay. The only checks I write are for school lunch money......if he loses a check no biggy......if he loses cash I'd have to kick him in the nutz! :D

16. Feb 28, 2009 at 6:08 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    lol I so dropped the FSNB so long ago. And i'm reservist so not really a chow hall option. :(

But Ramen Noodles get used here daily. lol

17. Feb 28, 2009 at 6:24 PM
    brockw22

brockw22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Johnson City, Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab Sport Tacoma
    my bank has never charged me a over draft fee and i have went over several times :D

18. Feb 28, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Well-Known Member

Member:
    East of the Mississippi, South of the Ohio
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    modified for light trail use
    While you're still young, you need to get to know this guy. Listen to him on the radio, watch his tv show, read his book. Practice what he teaches.

19. Feb 28, 2009 at 11:02 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I've heard of that guy's name before. Maybe on Oprah or Dr. Phil???

LoL I don't really watch those but my mom does time to time. I just think I've heard that before.

20. Mar 1, 2009 at 7:04 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah..Everyone else has kinda beat it up- You did this to yourself. It's your money- Pay enuf attention to make sure that it stays yours man.

Debit cards aren't the debil- You just gotta pay attention to what you are doing. I haven't ever overdrafted my account in 10 years by using my debit card.
    Overdraft protection is probably worth it if you do this alot tho. Balancing a checkbook doesn't require checks- It gives you a sanity check of what the bank tells you- My wife keeps all of her expenses in her checkbook ledger- Debits, checks, ATM withdrawals...She doesn't overdraw her account either.

You might be just a kid-but bad money habits are hard to break- Start off on the right foot right now and you'll be MUCH better off/much happier.

Products Discussed in

To Top