1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tools stolen from my Garage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by guitarjamman, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Jul 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    I keep all my tools in my garage. I use it for my main access to our place and close it behind me every time out of habit; my wife and I leave for work in the AM at the same time and it gets closed before we head off. That said, I had a brand new Makita 18-V Combo drill set with about $100 worth of drill bits that I was given as a wedding gift from my wife's uncle....He thought that guys needed "guy" things instead of all the towel and kitchen appliances weddings normally produce. Needless to say, I was extremely grateful and had grand plans for those drills. We are closing on our first house as we speak and those were going to be life savers!

Enter yesterday. I go to the garage to get my sweet drills and they are not where I left them. The drills came with a carry-all bag and I kept all the bits in there as well. Went through all my cabinets and tear apart the whole house looking for them; nowhere. Went back out to the garage and went through everything I have and my mechanics tool set is MIA as well. Birthday Gift from my father....Now I am pissed and after reflecting on what could of happened to them, only one instance pops up.

We had our hot water heater let go about two months ago. Insurance paid for a professional clean up crew and then we hired a local carpeting company to come in and replace the damaged areas. The Inlaws stayed at our place to make sure someone was home, but they were upstairs on the computer while the contractors had free reign in and out through the garage. That would be the ONLY time someone was in my garage who would of taken those tools - easy grabs too. If someone broke in while we were out, I would assume that a lot more items would of been stolen, not just the two things that were in cases with handles.

How do I go about calling these guys up and letting them know I am missing about $400 worth of tools? Is this a case of "too bad, so sad"? I am about ready to drive over there and bitch them out.

2. Jul 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx Master Shredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SW TRD OR/ 2015 tundra CM off road sr5
    3in lift, 5100s front and rear, OME 887 springs 2in aal, 285 75 16 Duratracs, mb 352 black wheels, white sport grill, derp'd lower valance, derp'd front toyota emblem white, tinted windows, tinted tail lights, trd shorty antenna, trd hitch cover, trd valve stem caps, trd neoprene covers, trd all weather floor mats, kenwood double din, stampede window visors, flyzeye interior leds, anytime fog light mod, flashlight mod, kool vue intake, LED dome light, Lund bug shield, TRD shift knob,front mud flaps removed, Debadged, truxedo roll up bed cover, led fog light bulbs, led parking light bulbs, led dtrls bulbs, led headlight bulbs, led back up light bulbs, led license plate bulbs, tinted license plate covers, 18" magnaflow muffler, 32in ebay, light bar, coverking neoprene resr seat cover, oem trd skid plate, trd decal on center caps, oem trd exhaust tip, blacked out pinch welds, color matched mirror covers.
    call the police first and file a report

3. Jul 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    You pretty much nailed it, call them up and complain, be descriptive about the situation, more than likely nothing will come out of it and you'll just have to file a claim with your homeowners insurance. It might be worth a shot, they might come forward and claim they grabbed the wrong bag or something.

4. Jul 15, 2013 at 9:50 PM
    BZP56

BZP56 Take a shower, shine your shoes...

Member:
    First Name:
    B.Z.P.
    NM
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB
    Be glad youve caught it fast. Years ago I had an elderly relative likely lose a fancy shotgun new-in-box like that. We didn't realize it until probably 10 years later when "the only people who've been down there was the flood cleanup crew years back..." The box and wrap was still there but the gun wasn't. Years later, what can ya do? :mad:

I'd say file the report fast. Give them the company names if you know them, and file a claim. In the end there isn't a whole lot you can do. That's why criminals are still around. Sometimes they get away.

5. Jul 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    That's what I'd do.

6. Jul 16, 2013 at 7:12 AM
    BZP56

BZP56 Take a shower, shine your shoes...

Member:
    First Name:
    B.Z.P.
    NM
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB
    Worst case if they deny everything and you know it had to be them, post it on a google review. Let people know that if you hire these guys your tools might get stolen. However this may be risky unless you can prove it is them.

7. Jul 22, 2013 at 4:21 AM
    JCruiser

JCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner SR-5 A/T 6Cyl
    Pioneer AVH P 2400BT, powder coated wheels, fog light mod, tail gate anti-theft, Classio leather seat covers, light bar with KC off-road lights, rocker panel protection strips, bed compartment door locks, addl. bed "D" rings, window tint & floor mats.
    I took an engraver that I got at Harbor Freight, but a soldering iron would also work, and put the last 4 numbers of your social security number backwards (example, if the last 4 would be 1-2-3-4, engrave 4-3-2-1) on the battery pack and the drill body somewhere & the charging unit. If you are on a job site, this is how those that share a charger know their battery from someone else's. If you get ripped off, hit the pawn shops and see what they have. If you find it, call the cops!

Products Discussed in

To Top