Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Sports logo copyright laws? Anybody familiar??

Old 07-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Name: Wes
wmflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
Sports logo copyright laws? Anybody familiar??

I have a design that I'm looking to produce but it involves using a college team logo. Is anybody familiar with the "ins and outs" regarding the use of copyrighted logos?? Would it be possible for me to pay an amount of money to "use" the logo officially? Any help would be great if anyone has anything to offer.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
joshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoshua721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Satcom
joshua721's Tacoma Gallery
Contact the owners. Chances are they will not let you use it.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
At the college I go to, you can use the logo for cash. Lots of cash.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Yeah I figured it would probably cost A LOT. My other question, what are my chances of getting caught?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
If you use it only for yourself then there should not be a problem
Old 07-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
If you use it only for yourself then there should not be a problem
One of my goals would be to make money so therein lies the problem.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmflyfisher View Post
One of my goals would be to make money so therein lies the problem.
A very big problem.

Possibility of getting caught?

Motorcycle clubs have shut down eBay sellers offering t-shirts with the club artwork.

Your legal defense will be far higher than any money you might make as a one-man operation.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Will you be changing the logo? You can try and contact the college, a lawyer, or try and research how much of a logo you have to change so that it is not legally the same. My HS actually got busted for basing our logo off of Georgia Southern and had to change it. They ended up just cropping out the head of the eagle and flipping it horizantally. I'm not saying you may have to change it that much, but just an example.

Original:

My HS:

Current HS Logo:

Matt
Old 07-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously
tacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoftw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Will you be changing the logo? You can try and contact the college, a lawyer, or try and research how much of a logo you have to change so that it is not legally the same. My HS actually got busted for basing our logo off of Georgia Southern and had to change it. They ended up just cropping out the head of the eagle and flipping it horizantally. I'm not saying you may have to change it that much, but just an example.

Original:

My HS:

Current HS Logo:

Matt
hah i go to georgia southern...
Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoftw View Post
Sorry we copied you I hate my HS if it helps any...

Matt
Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
tacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoftw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Sorry we copied you I hate my HS if it helps any...

Matt
hahaha i gotta say, yall did a pretty good job. doesnt everyone hate their high school?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
My high school got in trouble for using an Indian head and spear for their logo.

If you're going to make money off it, why not just create something original instead of using what's already out.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #13
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoftw View Post
I graduated from Georgia Southern!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #14

tacoftw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtopgun515 View Post
I graduated from Georgia Southern!
nice!