Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Any Horse-Back riders on here?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Member
CountryGirl96 is on a distinguished road
 
CountryGirl96's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2011, #66302
Location: Essex
Gender: Girl
Posts: 71
CountryGirl96's Tacoma Gallery
Any Horse-Back riders on here?

Every forum I've seen has some sort of thread for Horse people. I haven't found one on TW yet, so here goes. Lets hear about your horses and maybe see some pics.

I'll tell you a bit about my riding. I'm an eventer, for the last couple years ive done Beginner Novice (Entry lever for the canadians), this year I upgraded to Novice (pre-training) because BN cross-country was starting to get really boring. When I'm not Eventing I just ride, I've shown some Dressage and Hunters but they're just not my cup of tea. I've always wanted to barrel race or Rodeo (bareback bronc or bull riding) but i've never had the opportunity. I don't own a horse, I just ride whoever needs working or training. Mostly I ride Striker, a grey, 15.3 HH, appendix QH.

I don't have any pics now but maybe I'll take some when I go out to the barn later on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Brunes's Avatar
Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Joined: May 2008, #7011
Location: Big Easy, USA
Age: 30
Gender: Dude
Posts: 17,961
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
My wife and I have two - Wife got Mizzens Wake about a year and a half ago when he was retired from the track. 16hh grey TB-7 years old.
And then in Apr we adopted Juniper, a Tennessee Walker mare. She's about 4 and green broke.

Mostly trail riding right now. Mizz has been in a few parades and we ride some western style speed games at our barn.

We also foster a mini-Covergirl-because she was more or less left behind when her owners other horse died...Our little boy rides her once a week or so...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
skidooman's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2011, #54438
Location: Elko, NV
Age: 29
Gender: Dude
Posts: 4,484
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
My wife and her brother grew up Rodeoing. She did barrels and goat tying, and went to college at UNLV and rodeod for them. At the high school national finals she finished 9th overall in goat tying. Her brother is a heeler in team roping. He is pretty good. He made it to the college finals for University Montana Western, but I think his header didnt catch. She is trying to talk me into getting a couple horses, and I would love to learn to rope, but then I think about all the money they cost. My property is fairly set up for horses, we would just have to cross fence. Sometimes I want them, other times I think screw that!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Member
CountryGirl96 is on a distinguished road
 
CountryGirl96's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2011, #66302
Location: Essex
Gender: Girl
Posts: 71
CountryGirl96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
My wife and her brother grew up Rodeoing. She did barrels and goat tying, and went to college at UNLV and rodeod for them. At the high school national finals she finished 9th overall in goat tying. Her brother is a heeler in team roping. He is pretty good. He made it to the college finals for University Montana Western, but I think his header didnt catch. She is trying to talk me into getting a couple horses, and I would love to learn to rope, but then I think about all the money they cost. My property is fairly set up for horses, we would just have to cross fence. Sometimes I want them, other times I think screw that!
Im looking after a farm for a couple weeks. Although its not much work, its take a lot if commitment (stalls in the morning, bringing in the horses at 7pm and feeding again at 10pm. It kinda breaks up your evening if you want to go out with friends etc.

Quarter horses don't cost much to keep, they hardly eat much grain. The big cost is the trailer and fuel to get too and from shows.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
skidooman's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2011, #54438
Location: Elko, NV
Age: 29
Gender: Dude
Posts: 4,484
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl96 View Post
Im looking after a farm for a couple weeks. Although its not much work, its take a lot if commitment (stalls in the morning, bringing in the horses at 7pm and feeding again at 10pm. It kinda breaks up your evening if you want to go out with friends etc.

Quarter horses don't cost much to keep, they hardly eat much grain. The big cost is the trailer and fuel to get too and from shows.
We dont have much for pasture, and its all dry by about mid May. We would have to feed hay just about all year long, and hay is expensive down here because it has been so dry. Just for feed we're looking at about $100/month. Then there's the vet, and the ferrier and all that other crap, and come winter time when it doesnt get above freezing for a month you have to bust ice, or keep a tank heater going. On the other hand I think it would awesome to start roping, and to hunt with them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
J88logue's Avatar
Name: Jonnie
Joined: Jan 2012, #69877
Location: HWY 30
Age: 24
Gender: Tranny
Posts: 5,081
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
We've got a 16h paint. Great horse.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Member
CountryGirl96 is on a distinguished road
 
CountryGirl96's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2011, #66302
Location: Essex
Gender: Girl
Posts: 71
CountryGirl96's Tacoma Gallery
Hay Is damn expensive here this year, $5 a bale right off the field and you're lucky if its a 50lb bale. Farrier is also an expensive part of horses although if you're lucky you can find a horse that can go barefoot so that's not too expensive
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Ice Horse's Avatar
Name: Lauren
Joined: Sep 2012, #87761
Location: Colorado
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,177
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
I'm currently working towards a degree in Equine Science. I used to own a black breedstock Paint mare but had to sell her for school. I mostly ride for pleasure but I've always really wanted to show in something. I'm hoping to start volunteering at a horse rescue here soon and when school starts back up I'm going to get back into riding lessons.

I did team penning once and it was SO much fun! My trainer is a reiner so I might end up doing more of that but I'd also love to learn to jump someday. I have some friends at school with horses that I'll hit up when I get back so get some more riding in.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Member
CountryGirl96 is on a distinguished road
 
CountryGirl96's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2011, #66302
Location: Essex
Gender: Girl
Posts: 71
CountryGirl96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
I'm currently working towards a degree in Equine Science. I used to own a black breedstock Paint mare but had to sell her for school. I mostly ride for pleasure but I've always really wanted to show in something. I'm hoping to start volunteering at a horse rescue here soon and when school starts back up I'm going to get back into riding lessons.

I did team penning once and it was SO much fun! My trainer is a reiner so I might end up doing more of that but I'd also love to learn to jump someday. I have some friends at school with horses that I'll hit up when I get back so get some more riding in.
Oh cool, what college/university are you at?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
92shawman's Avatar
Name: Kevin
Joined: Mar 2012, #74900
Location: Davis and San Diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,478
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
I'm currently working towards a degree in Equine Science. I used to own a black breedstock Paint mare but had to sell her for school. I mostly ride for pleasure but I've always really wanted to show in something. I'm hoping to start volunteering at a horse rescue here soon and when school starts back up I'm going to get back into riding lessons.

I did team penning once and it was SO much fun! My trainer is a reiner so I might end up doing more of that but I'd also love to learn to jump someday. I have some friends at school with horses that I'll hit up when I get back so get some more riding in.
Sorry to hear that you had to sell your horse for school! Where are you attending school? Edit: haha, OP beat me to it My sister rides and is a huge horse person. She's college searching right now and wants to study some sort of equine studies. I'd love to get your input if you don't mind! Feel free to pm if you don't want to talk about it here.

Regardless, I myself don't ride much but I've been around horses most of my life. My family owns a horse that my sister rides and my girlfriend's family has several horses on their property. I prefer relaxed trail riding when I do ride, though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
Member
CountryGirl96 is on a distinguished road
 
CountryGirl96's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2011, #66302
Location: Essex
Gender: Girl
Posts: 71
CountryGirl96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92shawman View Post
Sorry to hear that you had to sell your horse for school! Where are you attending school? Edit: haha, OP beat me to it My sister rides and is a huge horse person. She's college searching right now and wants to study some sort of equine studies. I'd love to get your input if you don't mind! Feel free to pm if you don't want to talk about it here.

Regardless, I myself don't ride much but I've been around horses most of my life. My family owns a horse that my sister rides and my girlfriend's family has several horses on their property. I prefer relaxed trail riding when I do ride, though.
Right now I'm looking at West Texas A&M for their Equine industry and business undergrad program. I hear Guelph university here in Ontario has good equine/veterinarian programs. Idk about where you live but the equine industry here is fast falling basically any horse racing has been stopped and many local barns have been sold. Although I really want a career in horses the unstable equine industry is really scaring me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Ice Horse's Avatar
Name: Lauren
Joined: Sep 2012, #87761
Location: Colorado
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,177
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92shawman View Post
Sorry to hear that you had to sell your horse for school! Where are you attending school? Edit: haha, OP beat me to it My sister rides and is a huge horse person. She's college searching right now and wants to study some sort of equine studies. I'd love to get your input if you don't mind! Feel free to pm if you don't want to talk about it here.

Regardless, I myself don't ride much but I've been around horses most of my life. My family owns a horse that my sister rides and my girlfriend's family has several horses on their property. I prefer relaxed trail riding when I do ride, though.
I didn't want to sell her initially but we were moving from Utah to Colorado and I really didn't have a place for her. I also started out in mechanical engineering and figured I wouldn't have time for her. She was too good to just sit in a field so I sold her to a friend and still get updates. Then I switched majors and was like ugh I need a horse now! lol

It's a great school! We just got a brand new reproduction center since our old one burned down. It's also getting a facility revamp soon (I found the blueprints/concept art in my advisers office one day when I was wandering around LOL) which will include two more indoor arenas and another barn if I recall. Lots of cool classes to take. I've had a great time.

And we have a vet school too if she wants to continue on to do that.

I used to volunteer for the foal care team and got to help take care of foals in ICU. They are so freaking cute.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Ice Horse's Avatar
Name: Lauren
Joined: Sep 2012, #87761
Location: Colorado
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,177
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl96 View Post
Right now I'm looking at West Texas A&M for their Equine industry and business undergrad program. I hear Guelph university here in Ontario has good equine/veterinarian programs. Idk about where you live but the equine industry here is fast falling basically any horse racing has been stopped and many local barns have been sold. Although I really want a career in horses the unstable equine industry is really scaring me.
Yeah that's what I'm worried about. I know the industry is bigger on the east coast but I hate the east. Hopefully something will pan out for me though. I'm getting a business minor too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
Member
CountryGirl96 is on a distinguished road
 
CountryGirl96's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2011, #66302
Location: Essex
Gender: Girl
Posts: 71
CountryGirl96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
Yeah that's what I'm worried about. I know the industry is bigger on the east coast but I hate the east. Hopefully something will pan out for me though. I'm getting a business minor too.
Yeah I get where you're coming from about the East. Anyways most of the equine industry over there is Hunter jumper or Dressage... Kinda boring and expensive... And many other things
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
92shawman's Avatar
Name: Kevin
Joined: Mar 2012, #74900
Location: Davis and San Diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,478
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
I didn't want to sell her initially but we were moving from Utah to Colorado and I really didn't have a place for her. I also started out in mechanical engineering and figured I wouldn't have time for her. She was too good to just sit in a field so I sold her to a friend and still get updates. Then I switched majors and was like ugh I need a horse now! lol

It's a great school! We just got a brand new reproduction center since our old one burned down. It's also getting a facility revamp soon (I found the blueprints/concept art in my advisers office one day when I was wandering around LOL) which will include two more indoor arenas and another barn if I recall. Lots of cool classes to take. I've had a great time.

And we have a vet school too if she wants to continue on to do that.

I used to volunteer for the foal care team and got to help take care of foals in ICU. They are so freaking cute.
Thanks for the info! I'll pass that on to my sister. I may pm you later with more questions that my sister may have, if you don't mind.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Ice Horse's Avatar
Name: Lauren
Joined: Sep 2012, #87761
Location: Colorado
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,177
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92shawman View Post
Thanks for the info! I'll pass that on to my sister. I may pm you later with more questions that my sister may have, if you don't mind.
Nope that's fine!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #19
Senior Member
Truck Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruck Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruck Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruck Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruck Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruck Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruck Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruck Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruck Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruck Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruck Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Truck Girl's Avatar
Name: Jamisyn
Joined: Sep 2012, #86284
Location: Washington
Age: 22
Gender: Chick
Posts: 2,084
Truck Girl's Tacoma Gallery
I have 5 horses down from 10! I used to show in a few different disciplines. Now i ride for fun along with barrel racing and roping! I have 2 main horses that i ride who are brother, have had one for 12 years and the other one who i recently found for 8 months. best two horses ive ever owned! the other is a mustang who was captured out of the wild and the other two are rescues that are living out their retirement and live up to the "hay burner" name

Here is Justin an 8 year old appaloosa gelding and currently my main rodeo/working horse
Any Horse-Back riders on here?-903922_10201008962014624_877311230_o.jpg

Any Horse-Back riders on here?-20121118_111600.jpg

pushing cows for hours! I guess someone's gotta though if we wanna rope!
Any Horse-Back riders on here?-20130504_150231.jpg

Any Horse-Back riders on here?-20130504_143318-0-.jpg

Any Horse-Back riders on here?-20130504_143315.jpg

this is Justin's brother Lonesome a 20 year old appaloosa gelding. still being ridden regularly but i usually put my friend on him since hes a pretty easy going guy. have had him for 12 years! These are a couple pics from a photo shoot he was involved in this year oh and one of just me and him lol

Any Horse-Back riders on here?-img_0730-2-.jpg

Any Horse-Back riders on here?-lonesome-edit.jpg

Any Horse-Back riders on here?-img_0727.jpg

Any Horse-Back riders on here?-lonezom.jpg

Any Horse-Back riders on here?-20120712_175623-1.jpg

Then there is Piper who I am leasing out! he approximately 5/6 years old. (we dont know his age since he was captured out of the wild) have had him a couple years now. hes been a fun project for me!

Any Horse-Back riders on here?-20121028_130510.jpg

This is Jake who I rescued from an abusive home. He is a 15 year old Paint horse I was able to reach his previous owner and get his background and registration papers! She came up and saw him and was so happy we rescued him. Due to the negligence he is no longer ridable but here is a pic she shares with me when she used to do gymnastics on him!

Any Horse-Back riders on here?-jake.jpg

I don't have any pictures of my last rescue to share yet, he wasn't in good shape when i got him. He has a very obvious broken nasal cavity from being abused and was very lame. He is an 18 year old paint ex reining horse. So him and Jake sit out in the pasture fat and happy with lots of love and attention!

So happy someone started a horse thread!! nice work OP I was wondering if one would show up
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OREGON RIDERS!!! J88logue Motorcycles 2 10-30-2012 01:10 PM
HD New Riders Course bubbagumps Off-Topic Discussion 13 06-28-2012 05:21 AM
Dirt riders Phil Dammit Arizona 15 03-13-2012 05:27 PM
Any motorcycle riders here Krp2nite Motorcycles 181 02-15-2012 11:18 AM
TO ALL MOTORCYCLE RIDERS Detective_Dan Motorcycles 10 09-16-2010 08:29 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.