1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Really need some advice on finding work

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Cabin Fever, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Jul 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM
    Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Orange, VA
    I've been out of work since 2007 and living back at home with my mom and brother. I've been putting in applications left and right, but never hear back from any employers. I was a floor tech/buffer for 3 years at my previous job, but no one will touch me due to that six year gap. I worked on and off for my brother-in-law who was a painter at a body shop just taping up vehicles and cleaning up around his work area.

He now works at Maaco so that leaves me up the s**t creek without work and he paid me himself so it never went through the shop. Even though I put that information on my applications, I still never get any call backs. I've put in for literally every low end position you could think of from dishwashers, busboys, janitors, stocking, parking lot attendant (collecting carts), etc.

I've contacted the Virginia Employment Commission, but they just walked me through registering on their site which I had already done and basically told me "good luck". To make matters worse, my mom is moving out next week and I'm gonna have to find a new place to live so things just keep getting better. Any advice would really be appreciated folks.

2. Jul 19, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    PkTaco

PkTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Zanesville Ohio
    Any college experience or valuable skills? Is the military an option? Go back to college? How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

3. Jul 19, 2013 at 9:28 PM
    Pcyc

Pcyc Self Proclaimed Leader

Member:
    First Name:
    Fritz
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD OR - Supercharged - Dual Cased - Twin Sticked
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/pcyc-fj40-build.444289/ https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/pcycs-2nd-gen-build.308160/
    Why did you lose your job? Have you begged for a job yet? In college(put myself through it) I begged a handful of businesses for a job. I finally got one.

4. Jul 19, 2013 at 9:28 PM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    It say he 23.
    Do you have a lot of tattoos or piercings that might turn an employer off? Crazy hair? Geriatric profanity disorder? Uncontrollable falling down? If so, ...

5. Jul 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.

23 posts

I could recommend a solid trade starting in a military branch. Not sure if such stuff appeals to you.

6. Jul 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM
    Cabin Fever

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Orange, VA
    I'm 30 years old and no I don't have any piercings or tattoos. I just have a high school education and I quit my last job and moved back home to help my mom look after my brother. He's fine now, but was in an accident that almost left him crippled and she couldn't handle it alone.

I keep an eye on Craigslist every day as well. Also, whenever I walk into a store and ask for work or to talk to the manager about getting a job, I always get the same story. "You have to go home and apply online" they say which is what I've been doing nonstop. I've reached out to family members and it's a no go there as well.

7. Jul 19, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    :smack: I need to quit glancing so quickly!

8. Jul 19, 2013 at 9:47 PM
    BioWheelin

BioWheelin Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4
    K&N air filter Wheelskin wrap
    Getting a 2 year trade degree would probably be a great start. The wind/solar tech trade is really starting to pick up and there are a few colleges now that offer exclusive courses in just those 2 categories. Admittedly, getting a loan and spending all that money may not be your idea of fun, but it's a pretty solid way to get a job.

Alternatively, my military friends keep telling me how great the Air Force has been to them and all that.

Good luck, I was in your same boat for awhile.

9. Jul 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    NateW

NateW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bonney Lake
    Vehicle:
    08 Trd off road
    Ever thought about starting your own business? Like lawn mowing or car detailing..

10. Jul 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    rickmeseke

rickmeseke subaru of america

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    maybe look into getting your CDL? its relatively inexpensive(compared to college), and you will be bound to get a job as the truck driving industry is exploding(atleast here in the south). alot of companies even pay for your cdl school if you sign to stay with them for a few years.

11. Jul 19, 2013 at 9:56 PM
    BioWheelin

BioWheelin Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4
    K&N air filter Wheelskin wrap
    ^this. Come to think of it, my brother is a trucker and never seems to be wanting for work. He's been in it for about 3 years and already looking to buy his own rig. Semis ain't cheap y'know.

12. Jul 19, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I got out of the Navy years ago. After my 6 yrs., I had a lead that seems worth the while, I got on with the city. CDL training on their dime/my weekends and eventually hired full time. CDL, forklift, flagging, even tele-handler operator training can come real cheap. The trainers don't place you in jobs, but might have good leads to help.

13. Jul 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    Cabin Fever

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Orange, VA
    I really appreciate the input so far fellas. I've noticed a couple ads for CDL training on Craigslist, but I guess right now I'm just looking to have at least some kind of income before I try starting a career. Right now I don't even have enough money in the bank to put a full tank of gas in my old Ford Ranger.

14. Jul 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    Junebug McQuinn

Junebug McQuinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wylie, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road Pre-Runner
    For what it's worth, I work for FedEx and we are always hiring. You have to start out part time though but they start you out around $14 an hour. It's not great money at first but once you go full time it's pretty good.

15. Jul 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    A homeless sign and a busy street corner can net you some money.

Products Discussed in

To Top