LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

North Dakota oil boom

Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
North Dakota oil boom

For the last 2 days my co-workers and I have realized that we are fascinated by what has been happening over the past few years in North Dakota with the oil business. Having spent a year of my life in Minot ND while in the USAF, I can remember the lack of trees, and women, and of course the cold. I was working one night and with the wind-chill, it was -70F. Nice.

Anyways, we keep talking about all of the opportunities for people up there and how we would make it big or if we could even survive up there. We have a host of hair-brained schemes and get rich ideas. It's all in fun, since we all have decent jobs and none of us would move, but we can't seem to stop talking about it.

FYI-YouTube is loaded with vids about it, unfortunately.............
Old 07-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
top flight security
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp1 View Post
For the last 2 days my co-workers and I have realized that we are fascinated by what has been happening over the past few years in North Dakota with the oil business. Having spent a year of my life in Minot ND while in the USAF, I can remember the lack of trees, and women, and of course the cold. I was working one night and with the wind-chill, it was -70F. Nice.

Anyways, we keep talking about all of the opportunities for people up there and how we would make it big or if we could even survive up there. We have a host of hair-brained schemes and get rich ideas. It's all in fun, since we all have decent jobs and none of us would move, but we can't seem to stop talking about it.

FYI-YouTube is loaded with vids about it, unfortunately.............
i dont survive in georgia if its under 70 degrees

i would not make it up there, not for all the money in the world. f that
Old 07-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
0~ 0~ 0~
670 is on a distinguished road

670's Tacoma Gallery
Got a buddy that's been there for 2yrs now and he banks around 3k a week (that's take home). The only problem is housing, 2k for a bedroom at a shared housing.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
tunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
tunernewb92's Tacoma Gallery
You have to basically buy a house if your up here (they go 100-150 a sq ft). Winter is brutal, summer is perfect. (although I haven't been through winter)

I haven't had to pay for housing yet, but once I'm done with training I will have to buy a house unfortunately.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty close to the same thing happening here with the gold. Although it has slowed down some in the last year or so. Housing is still ridiculous though, no rentals below $1k/ month no matter how dumpy. Plus with booms like this, the towns turn to crap, because you get mostly the bottom of the barrell, people who cant find work anywhere else coming in to try to get rich quick. Some real winners show up in the boom cycle.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
tunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtunernewb92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
tunernewb92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Pretty close to the same thing happening here with the gold. Although it has slowed down some in the last year or so. Housing is still ridiculous though, no rentals below $1k/ month no matter how dumpy. Plus with booms like this, the towns turn to crap, because you get mostly the bottom of the barrell, people who cant find work anywhere else coming in to try to get rich quick. Some real winners show up in the boom cycle.
Its not that bad. Most of the people here are nice enough. Lots of people just happy to be working. But if you've ever been to Midland, TX then you've been to Williston, ND. Just sub in snow for sand.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I think what has got us fascinated is that pioneer spirit that you would have to have to give it a try.

An yes, you count on heat there like we count on air conditioning here in NC.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
I spent some time up in Tioga a bout a month ago on a project our company is working on. I'm an engineer for Kiewit, the company building the natural gas plant for Hess.

I was lucky enough to be put up in the Black Gold Suits by my company while i was there, otherwise i would have been in one of the man-camps. It's quite an experience up there. However, I've been to some small towns, and Tioga was bigger than i expected.

Definitely going to be much much more work going on there in the future.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go up there if I had a mobile welder. My cousin makes $50 an hour welding. The weather doesn't bother me, a bunch of babies y'all are. The heat is worse to me because as a welder you have jeans, a jacket, gloves, and a hat on. Winter is easy, just put a couple extra layers of clothes on.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
I'd go up there if I had a mobile welder. My cousin makes $50 an hour welding. The weather doesn't bother me, a bunch of babies y'all are. The heat is worse to me because as a welder you have jeans, a jacket, gloves, and a hat on. Winter is easy, just put a couple extra layers of clothes on.
I've welded in the snow and during 110+ heat waves. i'll take the heat any day.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
I've welded in the snow and during 110+ heat waves. i'll take the heat any day.
I usually just sit inside when it's hot if I'm not working, but I will snow ski when it's below zero. I draw the line for snowmobiling at zero degrees though.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #12

I'll do a lot of things in sub zero weather, even camp, but i really don't like wrenching or welding in it.

-13 degrees, windy, and got a foot of snow overnight, just to do some winter wheeling.....

Old 08-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
North Dakota oil boom
has the Saudi's concerned.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #14

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
has the Saudi's concerned.
I read that. What I haven't read yet is where is is going and how it is going to play out in the US market.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #15

Quote:
I read that. What I haven't read yet is where is is going and how it is going to play out in the US market.
Construction on the plant in Tioga we are building is winding down. I'm not on a project team for an LNG export facility we are building in Maryland. I know it's not oil, but in that entire part of the country, oil and gas go hand in hand.

so to indirectly answer your question, at least on the natural gas front, we are now harvesting quantities to the point that we can make money by selling it to other countries. I'm on the engineering and construction side of things, so once we get the facility up and running, i'll no longer have anything to do with it, meaning my knowledge of where it all goes is limited. but as far as i know, the LNG from this facility will be tanked overseas to ammonia plants, where it will be turned into fertilizer, and then as needed, sent back to the US.