Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Adoption help

Old 08-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
Adoption help

So a little background.... My god daughter is 6 months old. When her mother and I met she wasn't born. Her mother have known each other for a little over a year now. And I have been the only male figure in this little girls life. From the time she first opened her eyes. To tonight as she closed them to go to sleep. Well I have been thinking a lot recently about the fact that I am in the percentile of men that it would be extremely hard to father a child of my own. Not to mention I am not getting any older.

The little girls father is no where in the picture. He made the comment to the mother that, " you should have aborted the &*%^ kid when you first found out."
I was furious but knew it wouldn't do any good to do anything. But like I said a little over 6 months ago. I held this beautiful young girl in my arms for the first time and couldn't ever think of letting her go.

Now I am losing sleep over the fact that I can't think of anything else but giving this little girl a home in my life and stepping up to be her Daddy. Her mom and I have talked and she is ecstatic over it. She couldn't be more happy. Her family is the same. Even if I didn't adopt her I would never be able to let this little girl go.

So basically have any of you adopted a child before? And how did you feel if you had never had a child before? What are some things I should pay closer attention to than others. The fears I should have if any?

I guess my thing is I am scared of the most is not being a good daddy. I want her to have the life I've worked so hard for. And so much more. I actually went to the bank today and opened a deposit only CD in her name for her college fund. There is more but I don't want to make this into a lengthy post.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
What an honorable thing to do. This little girl is special to you. Sounds like your decision is already in your heart.

And don't worry about being the perfect daddy to her. You already are.

God bless you.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
An old coworker was working on adopting a foster child. It seemed like a long process. Make sure you do some research.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
An old coworker was working on adopting a foster child. It seemed like a long process. Make sure you do some research.
I've done a lot of it. Still some un answered questions. The biological father has already signed over all parental rights. And has agreed to do go to court to make it official to a judge.

A friend who is an attorney has agreed to handle the case for us to make things smoother. He was telling me I may be subject to a home inspection from DCS. Which I have already been cleared on as well as the criminal background check required by the state of Tennessee and the financial background check.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
AZDesertTRD is on a distinguished road

Name: Pamela
AZDesertTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like she already has a wonderful daddy! If you can make it legal...do it! You love her and care about her and I am sure she loves you more than you can imagine.

If her you and her mother are in a healthy reltionship and she is ok with you adopting her I'd say go for it. Not sure what marital status needs to be for this to happen. Just be sure you are fully aware of the lifetime of responsibility you are taking on. Sounds like you have been putting some serious thought into this.

You sound like a wonderful man stepping up to be this little girl's daddy. Very sweet to hear something so touching in this sometimes crazy world.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Go for it!! Don't worry about being the perfect daddy for her- I think you already are. Not many men would do as you are trying to do for her. Major respect for you, man- we need more people like you in the world. Best of luck, man!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Pockets is on a distinguished road

Name: Keith
Pockets's Tacoma Gallery
My one and only daughter is adopted, she was born in Vietnam. Your situation is a lot different than mine. Even though my daughter obviously looks nothing like me, she's my baby girl and i couldn't love her any more. Adoption is a wonderful thing and I pray you have the guidance to make the right decision.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
blm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertTRD View Post
Just be sure you are fully aware of the lifetime of responsibility you are taking on.
Adam: not trying to be the wet blanket here but I think you could possibly be rushing things a bit. I think what you are doing is very noble. It would be just as noble if you did the exact same thing 3-4 years from now. She is 6 months old correct. So that means that just 15 months ago her mother was secure enough with another guy to have his child. All I am saying is a lot can change in a year or two. You can be just as big a part of her life without being her legal guardian. If you will be a part of her life for ever then it wont make a bit of difference (to her) if you adopted her in 2013 or 2016. All she will remember is that you were always there. Again not trying to sway you just think about what could happen????
Old 08-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #10

Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
I totally see your point. It has been something I have tossed around. My parents have said the same. I guess it's just a reality I need to think on. My biggest concern is 15 years down the road after she's been adopted. And she asks the age old question of real dad. And of course the minor things.