Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Kaplan University?

Old 08-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Kaplan University?

Anyone have any information regarding Kaplan?

I've researched them online but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience?
Are they a good online school? I'm looking to get a Bachelors from there as well as continuing with my education tract now.
If anyone has any insight, has gone, or knows someone that went I could use all the information I can get before making a decision.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend going to a regular college in your area. You'll get a much better education for a better price.

They look to be similar to University of Phoenix. It's expensive and doesn't provide a very good education. A buddy of mine at work has been getting his education through U of P and the classes are a joke. My concern is will your degree be recognized by anyone who would care?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/10/ed...anted=all&_r=0

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kaplan...ne-is-a-285744
Old 08-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I would recommend going to a regular college in your area. You'll get a much better education for a better price.

They look to be similar to University of Phoenix. It's expensive and doesn't provide a very good education. A buddy of mine at work has been getting his education through U of P and the classes are a joke. My concern is will your degree be recognized by anyone who would care?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/10/ed...anted=all&_r=0

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kaplan...ne-is-a-285744
Interesting, thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
At the end of all Kaplan commercials around here they say "courses will not transfer". That's sketchy to me and tells me the classes aren't equal to even a community college.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Only way I would ever do online courses is if they were through a normal reputable college. I don't know if Kaplan is the same but university of Phoenix is a for profit corporation with stockholders which is always a red flag to me as far as education goes.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Diploma Mill

Kaplan, Phoenix and others are diploma mills. They are set up to take your money, but academics aren't backed by accrediting bodies, which is basically a reputation and commitment rating in higher education. Without accreditation, you are subject to subpar instructors and curriculum.

Stay with reputable institutions with brick and mortar locations.

I work for a local college in enrollment management, and I've heard too many horror stories from former students at those mills.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #7

I think I'm going to be looking at places in PA, NY, or MD for getting a second bachelors
Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
Take a shower, shine your shoes...
BZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.Z.P.
BZP56's Tacoma Gallery
As has already been said, STAY CLEAR OF FOR-PROFIT INSTITUTIONS!!! I have known some people who rave about their online classes from UoP but I have my reservations. MBA in a year online? While working and partying fulltime? Yeah, right. It's a joke. Most employers will see right through that too.

What's funny is that for-profit institutions have recently taken a hurting from public and not-profit online classes. Surprisingly most state and private schools now offer online classes. They do so at a better price and offer generally more well-qualified faculty. If you look you'll be surprised. Some schools give the same degrees for online/in class. So, you just may get the same diploma that reads "Generic State" if you did it online or in class.

Remember, for-profit schools want your money. Most non-profit schools want academic integrity.