Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Wrecks Out My Window

Old 08-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Wrecks Out My Window

I have the honor of recording all of the accidents at the 5th worst intersection in Houston, as rated by the Houston Chronicle. This is the intersection of Beltway 8 and Westheimer in Houston Texas. My office is on the sixth floor facing West and has a simple webcam in the window. This camera has been in operation since August of 2013 and has captured over 20 accidents as of June 2014. A second camera on the North side of the building was added in May of 2014 and was a quick hit as June was a busy month with four accidents.

Link to the Wrecks Out My Window Playlist

Every Subscriber, Video View, and Ad Click helps me make a few pennies. Help a brother out!

This was the very first wreck recorded on the webcam. If you look closely you can see me at my desk in the window reflection. It was so exciting to actually capture the first wreck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07s14d6NkoE

The latest wreck - 7/10/2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smQRr...ature=youtu.be

If you want to see the pictures I took of the accidents prior to the webcam you can check out my Facebook album.

Facebook album

This is what the intersection looks like. This shot is facing East on Westheimer. The wrecks mostly happen when someone traveling East on Westheimer runs the light on the other side of the intersection. You can see that the light is in plain view.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
alwaysfaded is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
alwaysfaded's Tacoma Gallery
probably texting
Old 08-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
Lol that didn't take long. You installed the camera 2-3 weeks ago right?
I was wondering if I was going to jinx the intersection by installing the camera, but it looks like I didn't hinder the idiots at all.

The camera went live on July 23rd. Didn't take too long.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
CaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
Name: Jesse
CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
For the past six years I've watched the results of many accidents at this particular intersection. Never have I seen the wreck first hand, until today. I finally installed a simple webcam to catch the action. The camera is turned on when I get to work and turned off when I head home. I am sure this will not be the last video I post here. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07s14d6NkoE
No Ducks given by anyone around that

Must be a popular spot for accidents.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
Take a shower, shine your shoes...
BZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBZP56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.Z.P.
BZP56's Tacoma Gallery
You know that might prove useful to the people involved in the accident or the PD who handled it.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZP56 View Post
You know that might prove useful to the people involved in the accident or the PD who handled it.
+1

I see all kinds of stupidity out there.
I've gotten to the point that I don't wait for the PD to request it... if I'm aware of something, I pull it from the short-term DVR and save it to our file server so it'll be ready to go when they call.

Unfortunately, my software doesn't export to a Windows native format, so I can't post anything here.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
grrillA has a spectacular aura aboutgrrillA has a spectacular aura aboutgrrillA has a spectacular aura about

grrillA's Tacoma Gallery
what are the odds that a cop just happened to be parked right there lol
Old 08-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if its just me not seeing many intersections like that, but I would stay FAR away from that intersection forever, that looks ridiculous
Old 08-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Houston drivers + intersection + camera ? I'm in for this
Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #12

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZP56 View Post
I had thought about that possibility. If the wreck is bad enough I'll go down and see who wants it more, the guy at fault or the victim.

$$$ talks
Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #13
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
^Good thinkin... "I have proof that you caused that accident on video, but the Ben Franklin brothers might cause a mysterious hard drive crash or something"
Old 08-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
I had thought about that possibility. If the wreck is bad enough I'll go down and see who wants it more, the guy at fault or the victim.

$$$ talks
haha. Pretty funny thread. Nice work. Who knows what you might catch on film! You can charge the media big $.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #15
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
WOMW

I like it
Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. Good stuff, OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrillA View Post
what are the odds that a cop just happened to be parked right there lol
There was a time-lapse done in there... Can't tell how long it took, but the cop wasn't just parked there.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #18
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
Sub'd. Good stuff, OP.

There was a time-lapse done in there... Can't tell how long it took, but the cop wasn't just parked there.
Hes actually on the middle left of the video pulling someone over.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #19

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post
Hes actually on the middle left of the video pulling someone over.

I believe the officer was talking to a couple of panhandlers when the guy ran the red light. The old sedan that almost forgot to stop was probably watching the cop and not the light. The cop pulls over after one cylce of traffic. The video transition covers up the movement of the cop over to the wreck.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #20
Trying to save the manuals
Smudgey is on a distinguished road

Name: Jack
Smudgey's Tacoma Gallery
This is definitely the culprit of texting - if they were intentionally trying to "make the light", I would think they would have been going a lot faster than that.