Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Anyone good at Algebra? Help ASAP

Old 08-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Certified Mall Crawling Instructor
SwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Name: Steven
SwanksTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone good at Algebra? Help ASAP

Anyone any good at algebra? I'm beyond horrible at math and this homework is starting to get on my nerves.

Order of Operations (PEMDAS)

First problem:
√(4)+4^2÷5(20-16)-3^2-5

Second Problem:
√(9)+9^2÷3(10-6)-2^2-1

If anyone is decent at math and can help me get this finished, PLEASE help. Thanks a ton TW.

I'm pretty sure these are awfully easy and I'm just over thinking it.. please chime in if you know how to do these.

Got it solved. Thanks everyone for the help. I sure do love TW
Old 08-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
All I Do Is Nguyen
gym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
gym_jamz's Tacoma Gallery
Have you ever tried Wolfram Alpha?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

Enter your equation how it's suppose to look and BAM. It will not only answer it but also shows you how to solve it

Edit: Make sure you use your parentheses correctly! For example: √(4)+4^2÷5(20-16)-3^2-5 is different from √((4)+4^2÷5(20-16)-3^2-5): The number 4 is being rooted on the first equation whereas the whole equation is being rooted on the second equation
Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
SwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwanksTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nguyen View Post
Have you ever tried Wolfram Alpha?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

Enter your equation how it's suppose to look and BAM. It will not only answer it but also shows you how to solve it
Just tried it, have tried two different online calculators w/ showing work so I can get a grasp of it.

The website you just posted gives this answer to be 106.

Another website w/ a calculator gives the answer to be 19/4..

Which is correct?

PS: Thanks for the link!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
All I Do Is Nguyen
gym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Not sure if I got the edit in time for you to see but here it is again:

Edit: Make sure you use your parentheses correctly on wolframalpha. For example: √(4)+4^2÷5(20-16)-3^2-5 is different from √((4)+4^2÷5(20-16)-3^2-5): The number 4 is being rooted on the first equation whereas the whole equation is being rooted on the second equation
Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
Firefighter:
Quote:
Not sure if I got the edit in time for you to see but here it is again:

Edit: Make sure you use your parentheses correctly on wolframalpha. For example: √(4)+4^2÷5(20-16)-3^2-5 is different from √((4)+4^2÷5(20-16)-3^2-5): The number 4 is being rooted on the first equation whereas the whole equation is being rooted on the second equation
Yeah, I'm doing it the first way I posted, copied and pasted into the wolframalpha.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
All I Do Is Nguyen

Can you take a picture of the question? It's easier if I see the question. We're gonna solve this!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Colt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
im getting -1.2 for the first problem
Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Firefighter:
Quote:
Can you take a picture of the question? It's easier if I see the question. We're gonna solve this!
Sure, let me take some and i'll get them right up. Appreciate the help man.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt562 View Post
im getting -1.2 for the first problem
I got 3 and another website got something else. I hate math with a passion.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
would be easier with picture, hard to know where sq rt ends
Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I failed algebra 2. I could maybe solve those problems but I would not be confident in my answers at all. Sorry I am no help. Many guys on here are much smarter than I am though.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
would be easier with picture, hard to know where sq rt ends
That's what I'm waiting for.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
Colt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
for the second I got 4.75

Im pretty good at math, got A's all through high school as well as in college.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
Firefighter:
Quote:
Number 103.

edit.. now the picture won't show up. Great.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #15
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's 4/5 and 106...... Need my ti89 heh heh
Old 08-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #16
All I Do Is Nguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanksTaco View Post
Number 103.
I don't see any pictures or attachments

Edit: NVM saw your edit.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
All I Do Is Nguyen

Answers is 3

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...%29-%285%29%29
Old 08-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #20
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanksTaco View Post
Anyone any good at algebra? I'm beyond horrible at math and this homework is starting to get on my nerves.

Order of Operations (PEMDAS)

First problem:
√(4)+4^2÷5(20-16)-3^2-5

Second Problem:
√(9)+9^2÷3(10-6)-2^2-1

If anyone is decent at math and can help me get this finished, PLEASE help. Thanks a ton TW.

I'm pretty sure these are awfully easy and I'm just over thinking it.. please chime in if you know how to do these.
Q1= 11.2
Q2= 4.75