Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Need Help On Calculus

Old 08-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #21
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ever since finishing my calc classes in school, I think I've done more calc on TW than at work or in school haha
Old 09-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #22
"Some people feel the rain, others just get wet"
HawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
HawaiiTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Here we go, week 2!

Working on these two, so far only got the first two problems on number 3 and the first two on number 4.
I got to turn these in tomorrow, so any help would be great.
I'm basically reading over the lectures and hoping it makes sense before then.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 03h.pdf (24.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf 04h.pdf (21.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #23
'Murrica!
AK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
On 3, numbers 62 and 64 do you have to find the derivative using limits or can you solve by any way you choose?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #24
'Murrica!
AK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
If it's any way you want...

62) f(x)= x^2

f'(x)= 2x

f'(-2)= 2(-2)

= -4

64) f(x)= 1/x

rewrite as x^-1

f'(x)= -x^-2

which is the same as -1/x^2

f'(-2)= -1/ (-2)^2

= -1/4
Old 09-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #25
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
Ah I wish I remembered how to do this stuff...... If you ever need help also try wolfram alpha. Tends to be pretty helpful with calc.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #26
'Murrica!

AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
62) by limit

lim f(x) f(x+h)+f(x)/ h
h--> 0

f(x)=x^2

L= [(x+H)^2 + (x^2)]/h
L= (x^2+ 2xh+h^2)/h
Cancel
= 2x+h
h=0, so f'(x)= 2x

Note: After initially writing out the limit and h approcaches stuff I abbreviated with L for the rest of the problem.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #27
'Murrica!

AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
for 14 on page 4 you should just be able to plug and chug.

=-(1/1+1)(1+6/1)(3-1/7)
= -1
Old 09-05-2013, 03:04 AM   #28
'Murrica!

AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
on 14 you could also multiply everything together first and then plug in 1 after.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:18 AM   #29
'Murrica!

AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and remember that when in doubt, you can almost always make a table of values to find the limits
Old 09-05-2013, 03:37 AM   #30
'Murrica!

AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
for the limits approaching infinity you divide everything in both the numerator and denominator by the highest power of x in the denominator.

not sure where i could find the pi sign on my keyboard so im just going to use "n" instead

so for 38 we have Lim as x--->-infinity(n-(2/x^2))

divide everything in the fraction by x^2

L = n - (2/x^2)/1

when you plug in negative infinity for x in 2/x^2 you get a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiny number so it is assumed as zero.

which leaves you with L= n- 0/1

you can get rid of the 0/1 which leaves Pi as your answer.

So, the Lim x-->-infinity of (n-2/x^2) = Pi.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #32
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
You guys are confusing the hell out of me. I took Algebra 2 three times. But OP, if you ever need help with History, English, or something else other than math, I could probably give you a hand.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #33
HawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Taco View Post
Hopefully that helped
Wow! I'm going to look over it all and see if I can get it.
Thanks a lot
Old 09-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenwick1993 View Post
You guys are confusing the hell out of me. I took Algebra 2 three times. But OP, if you ever need help with History, English, or something else other than math, I could probably give you a hand.
Haha I'll keep that it mind, thanks!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ah I wish I remembered how to do this stuff...... If you ever need help also try wolfram alpha. Tends to be pretty helpful with calc.
I actually have the phone app, which is great. Unfortunately wolfram isn't allowed on test
Old 09-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #36

Here's more work. I think I know what to do on 5 & 6, but I'm absolutely clueless on 7. I've attached all three. Anybody care to help?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 05h.pdf (24.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf 06h.pdf (11.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf 07h.pdf (23.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #37
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Shit this all is too far gone for me, is it calc 2?

Hopefully it's fresher in someone else's mind. I'd never thought I'd say this but...

KONAAAAAAAA! HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!
Old 09-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
Shit this all is too far gone for me, is it calc 2?

Hopefully it's fresher in someone else's mind. I'd never thought I'd say this but...

KONAAAAAAAA! HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!
It's calc 1. I managed to answer every question, but my confidence isn't too high. I just need to turn in something though.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
241? are you at Manoa?
Yup, I got Myers. Everyday except Tuesdays.