Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Need Help On Calculus

Old 08-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
"Some people feel the rain, others just get wet"
HawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
HawaiiTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Need Help On Calculus

Just got back to school yesterday and working on my homework. Unfortunately my professor doesn't explain things too well so I am stuck on what to do.

Can anybody help?

I've attached the problems. So far I did the first two problems and got 0 and -2 as answers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 01h.pdf (11.7 KB, 152 views)
Old 08-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Uhhhh 12? Bump
Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
You are correct for the first two.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
HawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I found online that the equation for the tangent to the curve at point (1,4) is...

y=6-2x

But I don't know how to get that.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixinus View Post
You are correct for the first two.
Thanks! Good to know I did the easy part right haha
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
For 10(a), derivative is -2x

At (1,4), x = 1, so slope is -2(1) = -2

Tangent line's slope is also -2, so y = -2x+b.

Sub in (1,4) for x,y: 4 = -2(1)+b >>> b = 6

Tangent line is therefore y = -2x + 6
Old 08-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
^ winner winner, someone get this man some chicken for dinner.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
99tacosupreme has a spectacular aura about99tacosupreme has a spectacular aura about

Name: Kyle
99tacosupreme's Tacoma Gallery
Using the chain rule you find that y'=-2x and which tells you the slope at point (1,4) is y'(1)=-2. Now that you have the slope and the point which the line goes through (1,4) you can use point slope form to get the equation of your tangent line.

edit: ^^Looks like I just got beat
Old 08-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
kws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kws129's Tacoma Gallery
average rate of change for a function is:

{f(b) - f(a)}/(b-a)

so for the first problem it woulb be

(1^2) - (-1^2) / (-1-1) = 0
Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
For 10(a), derivative is -2x

At (1,4), x = 1, so slope is -2(1) = -2

Tangent line's slope is also -2, so y = -2x+b.

Sub in (1,4) for x,y: 4 = -2(1)+b >>> b = 6

Tangent line is therefore y = -2x + 6
How did you find the derivative? I've been trying to get that.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Multiply the x's coefficient with the exponent, reduce the exponent by 1.

-x^2's derivative is therefore -2x^1
Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
Got Beer?
BeerHat will become famous soon enoughBeerHat will become famous soon enough

BeerHat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiTRD View Post
I found online that the equation for the tangent to the curve at point (1,4) is...

y=6-2x

But I don't know how to get that.
I can't see attachment but is the starting eq f (x):= -x^2 +5? If so slope is derivative: -2x and at point x:=1 then m:= -2. Use point slope formula y-y1=m (x-x1) and fill in the blanks(x1, y1) and solve for y.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
dy/dx = -2 ...the slope is a constant...
Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #14

Here's my answers for the last problem (number 12) using the great info you guys game me...

(a) f'(x) = 2(x-2)
f'(1) = -2

(b) y-(-3) = -2(x-1)
y+3 = -2x+2
y = -2x-1

How's it look?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiTRD View Post
Here's my answers for the last problem (number 12) using the great info you guys game me...

(a) f'(x) = 2(x-2)
f'(1) = -2

(b) y-(-3) = -2(x-1)
y+3 = -2x+2
y = -2x-1

How's it look?
looks right to me HI TRD, ....ready for us to start assigning some problems to solve?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
You guys start school before Labor Day? Interesting.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #18
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
School started on Monday for us. It usually starts a week earlier.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
looks right to me HI TRD, ....ready for us to start assigning some problems to solve?
Haha thanks! I think I have enough to keep me busy

Quote:
Yah yesterday was the first day. I didn't even realize Labor Day is next Monday.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #20

Big Mahalo to everyone for helping me out!

I'm sure I will be posting more problems here as the semester goes on, so please stay sub'd