Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Geo-cachers

Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #21
otter is on a distinguished road

Name: Rob
otter's Tacoma Gallery
Never heard of this, but looks like a good way to burn a Saturday afternoon, I'll have to look into it.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #22
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!
fghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
fghtngsquirrel's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fghtngsquirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Never heard of this, but looks like a good way to burn a Saturday afternoon, I'll have to look into it.
If you're looking to start out, www.geocaching.com is your best friend.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #23
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fghtngsquirrel View Post
Yeah, but I thought it'd be better than starting a new thread. I think I have the same Garmin... does yours have the SD slot? Mine doesn't, and I regret not buying one with it...
No, I didn't spend enough money for the MicroSD slot, only internal storage. It kind of sucks, but hey... it was only 100$ bucks.

Recently, I have discovered some 4x4 GeoCaches at the beach. They had 3-4 at Matagorda beach in Texas, about 6-22 miles down the beach. One of them cut inland a ways, pretty cool being able to drive to the cache and hop out and find it. GeoCaching is just a great excuse to get out there and get off trail.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #25
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!
fghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shedfghtngsquirrel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

We have NEFGA (Northeast FL Geocachers Association)...it's pretty popular here!
Old 09-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #26
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lately, we have been more involved with C.I.T.O. Cache In, Trash Out.. Sometimes it's pretty shocking how much "trash" you come across on the trails. We pick it up as we are on the hunt, and throw it away when we leave. It's funny, we get asked all the time.. "Do you get payed to do that, why are you doing that?".

I think Bianca joined some Local Caching group here, we are camping in Sam Houston National forest.. next month I think...? They are not very organized, but it's fun.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #27
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
wtf are you guys talking about. im lost
Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #28
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
wtf are you guys talking about. im lost
LMAO

Go to www.Geocaching.com for more details, but the cliff notes version is: People all over hide "caches" in the woods and record coordinates close on the website. If you are taking a trip to an area for camping or maybe you want to look around your own neighborhood, Print out or load the coordinates in your hand held GPS and go find them. Once you get to the recorded coordinates (sometimes it can be a challenge), you have to look for the cache.. it might be a big obvious AMMO case under a log or a "microcache" (Film Tube) hidden. Some of them are quite clever like an "extra" bolt in a guard rail that doesn't match the others.. pull on it, and behind it is a microcache.

The large Ammo boxes, contain goodies of all types. Toys for kids, Patches and neat coins for older generations. If you take something, replace it with something else. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Below are some photo's from the last trip we took.

We drove 6 miles down the beach for this one, then took a sharp cut into the mainland. The Beach was on a desolate stretch of island, so there was no one there for MILES.. pretty neat, first time I actually needed 4x4. Mileage was 1,500 at the time.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #29
The StormTrooper
TightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TightShirts
TightShirts's Tacoma Gallery
i've gone looking a couple of times and only found one... it was fun but i just haven't have the time lately- i may try more when i get my 4x4 going
Old 09-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #30
MUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to all

MUDFISH's Tacoma Gallery
nice... thanks to this thread, I downloaded the iPhone App, and plan on starting this this week with my wife and son...

Looks like a ton of fun and there are spots all over the place by me...
Old 09-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #31
Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDFISH View Post
nice... thanks to this thread, I downloaded the iPhone App, and plan on starting this this week with my wife and son...

The iPhone app is fantastic, but a dedicated GPS will be better for getting pinpoint locations. Nothing wrong with hunting around a bit though
Old 09-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #32
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDFISH View Post

I have cached with some people using the I-Phone, and I thought it worked fairly well, just need to keep moving and have a good cell signal where ever you are. I don't think as accurate, but it definitely does the Job, make sure you take some stuff the kids don't mind trading for other things. My kids are hooked on the notion it's a "treasure hunt" and they swap their toys with new toys.

Nothing to swap on a microcache though, you just get to write your name and record it.. but the Micro Cahces are the most fun to Mom and Dad.

Post your results when you get around to it!
Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #33
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSter0077 View Post
LMAO

Go to www.Geocaching.com for more details, but the cliff notes version is: People all over hide "caches" in the woods and record coordinates close on the website. If you are taking a trip to an area for camping or maybe you want to look around your own neighborhood, Print out or load the coordinates in your hand held GPS and go find them. Once you get to the recorded coordinates (sometimes it can be a challenge), you have to look for the cache.. it might be a big obvious AMMO case under a log or a "microcache" (Film Tube) hidden. Some of them are quite clever like an "extra" bolt in a guard rail that doesn't match the others.. pull on it, and behind it is a microcache.

The large Ammo boxes, contain goodies of all types. Toys for kids, Patches and neat coins for older generations. If you take something, replace it with something else. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Below are some photo's from the last trip we took.

We drove 6 miles down the beach for this one, then took a sharp cut into the mainland. The Beach was on a desolate stretch of island, so there was no one there for MILES.. pretty neat, first time I actually needed 4x4. Mileage was 1,500 at the time.

cool thanks im going to look into it.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #34
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
i need to look into this
Old 02-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #35
watch the meat
cleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
cleanTRDmachine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cleanTRDmachine
I'm also a geocacher. (cleanmachine828) have around 150 under my belt. Florida, PA and NJ. I also have 2 Travelbugs out, one in Kentucky, and one that made it's way to Berlin Germany.
My brother in law are in to it, we have seen some awesome sights and it gets us out and about.

Top Rock Challenge

540ft straight up...

Florida:

Covered bridge in Perkasie, PA
Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #36
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. 2yr old thread.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #38
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I was back in 2001/2002... and there are still some of my caches out there and active! My handle is the same on Geocaching.com 'David K'.

I was the first to find the first geocache hidden in Baja California (July, 2001).

Once my kids grew up more and were at that age when they would rather hang with friends than go hiking and geocaching with dad... I didn't have much motivation to continue.

There are still 3-4 active caches I hid in San Diego County and 1 in Baja...
Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #39
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
This looks like fun..............where do you get the coordinates for stuff in your area?
You sign up at Geocaching.com

You input your location (zip code or GPS)... and all the nearest to what ever distance away geocaches are listed.

I haven't done it in awhile... Just so many around here...
Old 02-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #40
Beerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeerrun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Beerrun's Tacoma Gallery
My son and I started Caching in 2002. My favorite thing about it has been finding really great places close to home, that I had no idea existed. The politics of posting finds, got kinda old years ago, so I rarely post any more. But I've met some good friends, and lost a little weight hiking around the woods doing it. And it's allot of fun if you have young kids. twotubswalking.