1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Park ranger gave me a parking ticket

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Pdugan6, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 16, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    Pdugan6

Pdugan6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Sunnyvale California
    Vehicle:
    3 link solid axle 2011 Tacoma 4x4
    feelings Mutual bru.:brianr:

2. Sep 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I can only attribute this to ignorance.

My perception of the ticket. Someone is upset because as insignificant as they feel the infraction was they feel it was unwarranted.

I see it as a Park Ranger's nice gesture on perhaps educating you on the impact you my have.

Think about it. We are a small group of individuals who enjoy using our vehicles off highway. And by small I include ALL OHV users as compared to the remainder of the populous. We've heard the metaphor about a butterfly flapping it's wings in Capetown and next thing you know New Orleans is under water and G.W. Bush is a racist.

Well, here we sit behind our keyboards, chuckling away at Ford Raptors, Chevy's and Honda Ridgelines but what we, as a whole fail to realize is we aren't well financed, we aren't well organized and well, we don't have a common goal or a defined common goal.

That is where the Sierra Club comes into play. Google their financial information, read their reports, hell read their articles that paint us as the almighty Satan. The Sierra Club raked in $98 million dollars in 1012 and $101 million dollars in 2012. Don't know about you but that's a lot of money for an organization. Does anyone know what their mentality is on OHV and even Mountain Bikes is? Well click here to find out, they aren't really petition for us here. Now, going back to the near $100 million dollars they have per year... Where does one think that money goes? What percent goes into preservation? What percent goes into paying employees? What percent goes into influencing public opinion?

Those are all good questions aren't they? Well, I can tell you that a report I read back in 2010 from the Sierra Club itself stated that 86% of it's total financial assets went to influencing public opinion and lobbying elected officials. Have your attention yet? Same brochure I was reading also went on to vilify OHV use including pictures of otherwise tame activities. Some of the terms I read in the article were "Screeching" "Nauseating" "Deafening" "Noxious" "Neanderthal like" an don and on they went with this article.

So, in closing there seems to be two types of people that have an opinion on this thread. Those who see the big picture and realize that even though this seems minuscule it could have a large impact on our hobby and would like the other people to realize the impact a seemingly minor indiscretion could have. The other side see's it as a no big deal the man's keeping me down and IDGAF what anyone else says but I'm going to sit here and complain as I watch trails and areas get shut down because of tree huggers without realizing all I had to do was act responsible and follow some simple rules to not draw unwarranted attention to myself.

OP, you've not only made a poor decision but who know's maybe a tree hugger snapped a picture of your truck and it's going to appear in the next Sierra Club article or tree hugger publication about irresponsible OHV use and be blown completely out of proportions by them. Congrats, you've not only made a bad name for OHV enthusiast but the Tacoma as well.

Live and learn!

3. Sep 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM
    Pdugan6

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Sunnyvale California
    Vehicle:
    you just got really deep. Spread the word. I am not going to do this again. are we all done now?:D

4. Sep 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    :laugh:

5. Sep 16, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Yep, I've felt the wrath from someone thinking it'd be cute to park outside of the area. Local fishing place I used to go to had an endangered or threatened species bird living in close proximity to a kick ass jetty. We had to park in the designated area, drive on the designated path, and walk straight to and from the jetty with no deviation. Most found no issue and abided by the rules. Others thought differently and would break said rules for no reason. Well, one day some guy in his lifted truck thought it'd be cute to park very similar to the OP, on the edge of the parking area with 2/3 of the truck sitting in mud. (There was plenty of spaces for him.) Well, someone snapped a pic, or alerted the environmental department, and they closed the area, along with another area with walking access to the beach with nice surf fishing. Closer wasn't permanent which was good. When they reopened it, they patrolled frequently, and violation of the said rules resulted in HEAVY fines.

6. Sep 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    YUP SAME THINGS HAPPENS AT MY BEACH

7. Sep 16, 2013 at 10:50 PM
    DSully72

DSully72 2WD Problems

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Appling, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    oh dear god!! those poor plants!!! :D

8. Sep 16, 2013 at 10:52 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    It seems too simple

9. Sep 17, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Earlier in the thread you said you parked like that because you don't want to be "micromanaged."

Now you're saying had you been micromanaged, eg a sign telling you not to park on the hillside, then you wouldn't have done it.

I guess the local park/reservoir is under the impression people would use common sense and park in designated spots only.

Maybe you could petition the park to add more micromanaging signs to avoid any such confusion in the future?

10. Sep 17, 2013 at 6:42 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    So then the ticket worked :eek:

11. Sep 17, 2013 at 6:43 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    uh huh...

12. Sep 17, 2013 at 6:50 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    102J Jamestown-Ward Rd

Was an awesome 4WD trail through an absolutely beautiful area. If you stayed on the trail it was fun, challenging, and a great time.

However there are those who always feel entitled to drive off trail... well after years of cutting new trails, that others would follow, through creeks, up hills, etc... the trail was shut down in order to protect the watershed and water quality of the community below.

13. Sep 17, 2013 at 6:53 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Park where you're supposed to ...

14. Sep 17, 2013 at 7:08 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Didnt read last 9 pages but my two cents:

Laws are made for a reason; to protect (people, property, environment). While the ticket is "legally" deserved, sometimes law enforcement can judge no harm done and enforce with leniency such in this case (maybe a warning…). However that may invite other idiots to push the limits too far and actually fuck shit up.

OP consider yourself educated on you limits here (none) and move on.

15. Sep 17, 2013 at 7:09 AM
    Pdugan6

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Sunnyvale California
    Vehicle:
    You must be high. I bet your pumped on this whole legal pot thing in your state.:rasta:

I said," I am tired of being micromanaged on every aspect of life." (As a side note...) The ticket was unwarranted in my view. I never said that I parked that way because i didnt want to be micromanaged.

yes it did.

16. Sep 17, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    On that note - I think everything has been said. No need to continue repeating the same arguments. ~peace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top