Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Sobriety.... One year later... Please Read.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:27 PM   #181
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by floodedkiwi View Post
Hey, OP, been a while. Hope all is well and and stepping along one at a time....
Everything is well. Still clean and sober.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #182
floodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant future

Name: Ken
floodedkiwi's Tacoma Gallery
great to hear. all is good on this side as well....
Old 06-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #183
clc clc is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
clc clc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecidemon View Post
I've been trying to quit drinking, but when you're self medicating it's difficult. I used to enjoy having a beer or 2 after work, but for the last year and a half I've drank every day because I feel I have to. I've drank since I was a teen, but not every day, and I went a year here and there where I didn't drink at all. I have a 2 year old daughter and a wife who's put up with it so far, but I know if I don't change something fast, I'll lose them both. Somehow, this still isn't enough to make me quit drinking, despite wanting to quit. I suffer from pretty severe anxiety and panic attacks, where I feel like I could drop dead any second. I started drinking every day after I lost my job xmas 2012. I've since been re-employed, at a much better company and job, but I still drink every day. Basically I traded drinking heavy Friday and/or Saturday to drinking every day. I'm also on a benzodiazepine, although less potent than xanax. My Mother, her Sister, Brother and Father were all alcoholics. Unfortunately, it killed my grandfather when I was young, and my mother new years 2001. I feel that if I don't change, this is where I'm headed.
I feel you brother. I'm 27 and have basically been drinking everyday since the age of 16-18. Like alot of others I come from a whole family of functional alcoholics. None of us have really ever had a problem with work or the law. I've known since childhood I was a alcoholic but frankly can't stand AA although I'm gonna give it another shot soon. My grandfather was a long time sponsor actually. It sucks because honestly I find it easier to quit smoking cigarettes then alcohol.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #184
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc clc View Post
I feel you brother. I'm 27 and have basically been drinking everyday since the age of 16-18. Like alot of others I come from a whole family of functional alcoholics. None of us have really ever had a problem with work or the law. I've known since childhood I was a alcoholic but frankly can't stand AA although I'm gonna give it another shot soon. My grandfather was a long time sponsor actually. It sucks because honestly I find it easier to quit smoking cigarettes then alcohol.

Alcoholism = The only disease you can get yelled at for having.

As stated in my first post I never really had a issue with alcohol / drugs until the floodgates opened with that one run. That is no excuse or a get out of jail free card though. I should have handled it in a much better way but I didn't. I too have alcoholism in my family but.... to put it bluntly, you can not use that as a crutch. I agree that genetics play a role in whether you are more predisposed to become dependent on alcohol but it is also a choice. I chose poorly.

If you truly want to quit you will find a way. If not... the way will be found for you. I don't mean that to sound harsh but surviving what I went though gives me a new perspective on the way things work. You may be a functioning alcoholic (I was) but eventually that will play out.

I tend to agree with you on AA. I think AA is a very good program. Great in fact. I would highly recommend it to anyone that is struggling. That said, it wasn't for me. I could get to the first step but that was it. In the end... it comes down to how much you want to quit. It is a life changing event and I will not lie and say that it is easy. But... once you get over the hump it no longer controls your life.

I hope you can get to that point.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #185
trdkrupp is on a distinguished road

Army: CBRN Technician, 2-44 ADA
Name: Nate
trdkrupp's Tacoma Gallery

I want to thank you for posting this, takes a lot of courage to talk openlydifficulties you are working through. Thankfully, I've never had a drinkingproblem, but I do have thoughts from deployments that creep up. My biggest helphas been, and always will be, my wife. Her and my son keep me grounded and onthe right track. Very inspirational, thanks again for posting.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdkrupp View Post
I want to thank you for posting this, takes a lot of courage to talk openlydifficulties you are working through. Thankfully, I've never had a drinkingproblem, but I do have thoughts from deployments that creep up. My biggest helphas been, and always will be, my wife. Her and my son keep me grounded and onthe right track. Very inspirational, thanks again for posting.
Thank you
Old 08-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #187
ScreamingEagle101 is on a distinguished road

Army: SSG Ret., 506th Infantry, 101st Airborne Division
ScreamingEagle101's Tacoma Gallery
PTSD, TBI, alcohol/substance abuse....5 years as of 7/23/14. That was one of the big combat anniversary dates for me. This year my 2nd child, a son (I have a daughter already) was also born on 7/23/14 making a very bad day a wonderful day
Old 08-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingEagle101 View Post
PTSD, TBI, alcohol/substance abuse....5 years as of 7/23/14. That was one of the big combat anniversary dates for me. This year my 2nd child, a son (I have a daughter already) was also born on 7/23/14 making a very bad day a wonderful day
That's great brother!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #189
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
respect.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #190
Monkey slapper
Dunckel is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Dunckel's Tacoma Gallery
I also have PTSD. Long story short, I was in pursuit of a stolen car. The suspect stopped his car and tried to take my head off with an AR15 from about 15 feet away. He fired 20 rounds at me. I shot him back. He's dead now. That incident, coupled with the others like RearView mentioned that can't be un-seen can really take a toll after a while.

The shooting was August 3rd, 2011. I knew I was in trouble when I started turning to alcohol just to be able to relax. When I wake up in the morning and the first thing I think about was having a glass of tequila, I knew something was wrong. August 3rd of this year was the night I had my last drink. I've decided to quit. So far so good.

RearView, if you ever need to talk about anything, feel free to PM me. I've been there.

Dunckel
Old 08-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunckel View Post
August 3rd of this year was the night I had my last drink. I've decided to quit. So far so good.

RearView, if you ever need to talk about anything, feel free to PM me. I've been there.

Dunckel
That's great brother. I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary. Same goes with you my friend. If you ever need to talk I'm always here.