Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Sobriety.... One year later... Please Read.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #41
2010 double cab TRD Sport
El Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shed

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Very glad to hear that you are feeling better and now you can enjoy your life.
That's why every time we see firefighters at the frozen yogurt with my son, we pay their bill.
Last week we went to a Bbq place and there were 20 soldiers eating and we paid their bill and left. I Just left a note saying "thank you for your service".
My mother was an ER nurse, I know you guys are first at the scene and the things you guys do for us. That's why i teach my son to be very appreciative to firefighters and soldiers.
I wish the government will do more for you guys..
Again, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for your service.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #42
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tano View Post
Very glad to hear that you are feeling better and now you can enjoy your life.
That's why every time we see firefighters at the frozen yogurt with my son, we pay their bill.
Last week we went to a Bbq place and there were 20 soldiers eating and we paid their bill and left. I Just left a note saying "thank you for your service".
My mother was an ER nurse, I know you guys are first at the scene and the things you guys do for us. That's why i teach my son to be very appreciative to firefighters and soldiers.
I wish the government will do more for you guys..
Again, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for your service.
That is extremely nice of you! I've come to the point in my career that I look at it as just doing my job and how I make a living for my family. Yes, it can be a very stressful job but in the end it is my job. I have many ribbons for above and beyond the call of duty but I don't like them because I am just doing my job. It's what I signed up to do so I don't need a ribbon for doing my job.

But thank you once again! That is a very nice gesture and a very good role model for your son.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #44
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
No words can express how incredible your posts are here. Let me simply say thank you, best of wishes, and God Bless.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #45
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
No words can express how incredible your posts are here. Let me simply say thank you, best of wishes, and God Bless.
Thank you.

Like I said before... If what I post helps one person then my shame and embarrassment will be worth it in the end.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #46
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you very much for posting this sir. I also feel the need to congratulate you on being sober. I have not quite made it there yet but have given up smoking and every single day I crave cigarettes.

The fire service field messes with you severely. Some handle it better than others but it all eventually gets to you at some point. For me, it was the one time I saw a 5 year old girl who bled out on the floor after she was shot by her deadbeat father. I can't tell you how difficult it was for me to not choke the life out of him but I had to remain calm and do my job. I am out of the service for other reasons but if your department (and this goes for the LEO's here as well) has a Critical Incident Stress Management debriefing, I strongly recommend you utilize that ANY time you have experienced something traumatic. Do not try to just bottle it up and move on. I too, have seen some ff's commit suicide (one after the run where we responded to the 5 year old). These groups are there for a reason. Please... do not think you will lose your pride by talking about something that has been bothering you.

Thank you again, OP for posting this. I have always felt that it should be put out there for everyone to see that this is what public safety workers have to go through.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #47
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I am very aware that I could not handle being a first responder, I have nothing but respect for you guys.

Thank you for posting your story. I am not who you are trying to reach, but sharing your story will help someone else.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #48
19truckin86 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
19truckin86's Tacoma Gallery
Props on this post man. My dad was an alcoholic. Best gift he ever gave my family was his sobriety. He's a great dad and from the sound of it, so are you.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #49

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19truckin86 View Post
Props on this post man. My dad was an alcoholic. Best gift he ever gave my family was his sobriety. He's a great dad and from the sound of it, so are you.
Thank you!

I have made the adjustments that I needed to make but, I owe much of it to my wife and daughter also. If it weren't for them it might not have turned out the same way. I can't take the credit. I owe them everything.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #50
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
I was a wildland firefighter (USFS) when I was younger, but I never got to see all the tragedies that you did. You redefine courage and your story is powerful. PTSD is quite real and not just an abstract disorder in the DSM.

Congrats on transforming your life.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #51

Firefighter:

Pretty damn prophetic from my favorite band of all time

"Sirens"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQXP6TDtW0w

Hear the sirens, hear the sirens.

Hear the sirens,
Hear the circus so profound.
I hear the sirens,
More and more in this here town.

Let me catch my breath
To breathe and reach across the bed.
Just to know weíre safe.
I am a grateful man.

This life has been a light and I can see clear
Oh, I have to take your hand and feel your breath.

For fear that someday we'll be over.
I pull you close. So much to lose
Knowing that nothing lasts forever.
I didnít care before you were here.

I danced with laughter,
With the ever-after
But all things change.
Let this remain.

Hear the sirens
Covering distance in the night.
The sound echoing closer.
Will they come for me next time?

For every choice, mistake I made, is not my plan
To send you in the arms of another man
And if you choose to stay, Iíll wait, Iíll understand

Oh, itís a fragile thing, this life we lead.
If I think too much I canít get overwhelmed by the grace by which we live our lives with death over our shoulders.

Want you to know
That should I go,
I always loved you,
Held you high above too.
I studied your face,
And the fear goes away.

Oh, itís a fragile thing, this life we lead.
If I think too much I canít get overwhelmed by the grace by which we live our lives with death over our shoulders.

Want you to know
That should I go,
I always loved you,
Held you high above too.
I studied your face,
And the fear goes away,
The fear goes away,
The fear goes away.

Fear goes away.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #52
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
I can definitely imagine how going through these tough scenarios could cause PTSD. God bless those who have to experience it as a service. I think its great you told your story and people should absorb it. I once worked in pharmacy and came to realize that so much more of the population than people think....are abusing alprazolam and hydrocodone to the extremes, and some of the doctors just continue to write it. Its definitely a huge epidemic that people dont ever seem to discuss....and good people get addicted... just seeing the destructive effect on people in my daily job at that time was enough to keep me miles away from these drugs... Thanks for your service & story. Hopefully it will make people think.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #53

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runn0r View Post
I can definitely imagine how going through these tough scenarios could cause PTSD. God bless those who have to experience it as a service. I think its great you told your story and people should absorb it. I once worked in pharmacy and came to realize that so much more of the population than people think....are abusing alprazolam and hydrocodone to the extremes, and some of the doctors just continue to write it. Its definitely a huge epidemic that people dont ever seem to discuss....and good people get addicted... just seeing the destructive effect on people in my daily job at that time was enough to keep me miles away from these drugs... Thanks for your service & story. Hopefully it will make people think.
I'm pretty sure my pharmacist knew what was going on with me. Kind of hard to hide when you refill your prescription at the very earliest date you can (usually 7 days before the refill date).

At least the last prescription that I've had refilled in the last year is for antibiotics only.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #54
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
It takes a man to admit his mistakes and that he has a problem.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #55

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
It takes a man to admit his mistakes and that he has a problem.
Thanks. It was truly a bad part of my life but I've just learned to handle things in a more productive way.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #56
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
Thanks. It was truly a bad part of my life but I've just learned to handle things in a more productive way.
Well I applaud you man for doing the right thing. God bless you for your service and your sobriety
Old 10-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #57
Wingman4 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Wingman4's Tacoma Gallery
B.Turner, I just want to sincerely thank you for writing up this post. You made me realize some things about myself. Believe it or not you've made a difference in my life and I think a lot of others who may not have even posted, but simply came across your post from a search engine. I actually just saw this today linked from your signature in the thread about your new "Dodge" lol. I was almost in tears from laughing when I saw a the title about someone ditching a tacoma for a Dodge. But now I've had a couple tears well up from reading through this thread. Thank you for what you've done, and thank you for posting this. I'm sure you will make a difference with this post for years to come. Godspeed.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #58
Wingman4 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Wingman4's Tacoma Gallery
Just read this today:

Galatians 5:13 "For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another."

Seemed appropriate seeing how you turned your life around against what would be the easy way out and now you're serving others once again through your life experience. Thank you again for posting this thread.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #59

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman4 View Post
Thank you again for posting this thread.
Thank you for the kind words. It means a lot
Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #60
StayGould13 is a jewel in the roughStayGould13 is a jewel in the roughStayGould13 is a jewel in the roughStayGould13 is a jewel in the rough
Air Force: 341st MSFS
Name: Tristan
StayGould13's Tacoma Gallery
Just stumbled upon this thread...We dont know each other...But I can identify with you...glad to hear youre taking it a day at a time...my family was my biggest motivation to get my life in order...4yrs this last Sept...it's been a good ride...keep on keepin on, bud...