Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Is Mercedes-Benz slacking on their quality.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #41
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
I've never liked German cars. What I don't get is that they are supposed to be "the best", yet their reliability is actually a hell of a lot worse than anything Detroit makes in regards to reliability. It doesn't matter if they are over-engineered and full of gadgets. The bottom line is that they're POORLY engineered. I can't tell you how many people I know with them or have owned them and the things just fall apart and have ridiculous problems.

Its all about status and badges. If you want luxury and reliability, get a Lexus. If you want to pay $200 for an oil change and have the transmission implode, get a Mercedes or Bimmer.

I especially hate VW's. Mostly because yuppies love them, they fall apart almost immediately, and the ads for them strike me as a bit on the Nazi side with that German accented Beetle saying: " It Wat da' peeple vant!" and they talk about "German Engineering" Ya?...ya?.. you vant guuumahn enganeeeering? ya? ya? Welll. not really if the things blow their zero centrifugal clutches at 30k. I know because my Wife's Mom has a Jetta and the thing is the biggest POS.

by the way- that new Caddy is hot.
German tanks in WWII lost due to complexity (and lack of numbers). They were complex and difficult to repair in the field compared to the Sherman and T-34. This trend continues......
Old 03-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #42
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2150 View Post
my bro has the c230 kompressor hatchback and man, that thing is expensive to maintain as far as servicing the vehicle goes. when shit breaks on that, it's expensive to replace if you're not a diy-er. i had a 2000 BMW 328i and got rid of it because of the expensive maintenance. even though i miss the novelty of driving a nice european car, I certainly enjoy driving a well built/strong tacoma!

Mercedes are just expensive all around. A headlight went out on it a few weeks ago and (we got the extended warranty) the mechanic said that it would've cost around $300-400..... TO JUST CHANGE A HEADLIGHT BULB!!!!

My dad's X3 had the battery and 1 taillight go out and cost him near nothing.
$50 for battery and like $15 for a new tail light bulb.

You know the really sad part is that here is Japanese and other manufacturers making cars (ie Tacoma and Tundra) that are just sqashing their competition...... Seriously my truck has more bells and whistles than our Merc.

I like MOST German cars (Audi, VW, BMW, GUMPERT, etc.) but when it comes to Mercedes......... ITS A BIG NO GO!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #43
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
Mercedes are just expensive all around. A headlight went out on it a few weeks ago and (we got the extended warranty) the mechanic said that it would've cost around $300-400..... TO JUST CHANGE A HEADLIGHT BULB!!!!

My dad's X3 had the battery and 1 taillight go out and cost him near nothing.
$50 for battery and like $15 for a new tail light bulb.

You know the really sad part is that here is Japanese and other manufacturers making cars (ie Tacoma and Tundra) that are just sqashing their competition...... Seriously my truck has more bells and whistles than our Merc.

I like MOST German cars (Audi, VW, BMW, GUMPERT, etc.) but when it comes to Mercedes......... ITS A BIG NO GO!!!
Damn Krauts!!!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #44
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinalink View Post
fuck porsche in its dentist loving ass. god i hate those cars. pretty much all "super" or "luxury" cars are for dumb fucks who cant turn a wrench.
Wow I hate to see what your dentist charges.

Quote:
the only ones i can even get excited about are BMW's and Aston Martins (oddly both are related to ford now!)
False BMW has no association with Ford. Ford sold Aston to the Kuwati's which have announced that Aston is again for sale.

Quote:
and mercedes and chrysler have been separate companies for a while now.

and they still suck.
True
Old 03-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #45
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post

False BMW has no association with Ford. Ford sold Aston to the Kuwati's which have announced that Aston is again for sale.

True
Der Dundermerc und Dunderbmw ist schizzer!
Old 03-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #46
robo-ninja
edwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to all

edwinalink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post

to much, he has cayenne payments!

that makes me 3 kinds of happy!

True

hehe...
Old 03-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #47
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to drive this one:
Old 03-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #48
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if he's stuck?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #49
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
exactly. You guys have no idea how much i dislike Mercedes

Did you know that the BMW X3 is made in its own factory by another manufacturer under BMWs permission and supervision
Quote:
I think so. I am not very happy with Mercedes (I have never liked them anyways). But my mom has a 03-04 Mercedes-Benz C240 and all its been is trouble. We got it last summer.

Heres a list of problems.
  • Ext. door handle broken
  • Int. door handle broken
  • Refused to crank a few times
  • very small on trips (not a mechanical problem, but a problem for me and my dad)
  • rear pass. door lock broke
  • tranny (auto-manual) is terrible
  • will not shift up when going up a hill. I have to basically put the gas through the floor to make it shift down.
  • pass. door sill broken
  • Its VERY sluggish
thats all I can think of for now. My mom takes good care of her cars though. I wash it every other weekend.

The only thing i will give credit for Mercedes, is the steering. My dads BMW X3 was spectacular all around.

Sorry had to get that out.
some of the things you mention aren't quality issues. and while you may hate them, other people may love them. but i'll agree that both BMW and Benz have gone downhill since the early 90's. they use to focus on engineering but now they focus on how many bells and whistles and stupid gadgets they can stuff into a car. as for the X3, i'm pretty sure those are made here in SC. our plant use to make the Z3 (now the Z4) and the X5 and i thought i heard they started making the X3 but i'm not sure. the plant here is pretty cool, you can go to the Xanthem (think thats how its spelled) and look at all their old cars and race cars, and planes and bikes on display. its a BMW museum. pretty cool
Old 03-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #50
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
some of the things you mention aren't quality issues. and while you may hate them, other people may love them. but i'll agree that both BMW and Benz have gone downhill since the early 90's. they use to focus on engineering but now they focus on how many bells and whistles and stupid gadgets they can stuff into a car. as for the X3, i'm pretty sure those are made here in SC. our plant use to make the Z3 (now the Z4) and the X5 and i thought i heard they started making the X3 but i'm not sure. the plant here is pretty cool, you can go to the Xanthem (think thats how its spelled) and look at all their old cars and race cars, and planes and bikes on display. its a BMW museum. pretty cool
Well a few things on that list are quality issues. Mercedes (for paying all that money for one) you would think would have it to where there would be very few problems. I will agree with Merc and BMW going downhill on their $30,000-45,000 cars, but anything beyond that gets to be pretty nice.

Yes I went to the BMW, Mercedes, and Hyundai plants last summer. Mercedes were so cheap that you had to walk EVERYWHERE (and so with BMW) but Hyundai......... It was a cart train. We had our own mic and headset.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #51
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Bmw ftw
Old 03-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #52
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well a few things on that list are quality issues. Mercedes (for paying all that money for one) you would think would have it to where there would be very few problems. I will agree with Merc and BMW going downhill on their $30,000-45,000 cars, but anything beyond that gets to be pretty nice.

Yes I went to the BMW, Mercedes, and Hyundai plants last summer. Mercedes were so cheap that you had to walk EVERYWHERE (and so with BMW) but Hyundai......... It was a cart train. We had our own mic and headset.
size and speed are not quality issues, those are personal preference or options. your mom could have gotten a bigger car or bigger engine but didn't want to pay for it. but i agree, the not starting, the windows and doors, those are all quality issues and shouldn't have to be paid for (ie, not just the expensive cars should have working windows and handles that dont break).

even though they suck quality wise compared to the older cars bmw's and mercs are still badass when it comes to performance.

one of the biggest disappointments is Volkswagon. those cars were built on the premise of functionality, quality, and being cheap. now they are one of the most unreliable brands out there. german engineering just isn't what it use to be
Old 03-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #53
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
We had no choice for that car. We had an H2 (BIG mistake) got into financil trouble and my grandad bought it for us. We didnt want a Merc, but guess what was in my grandads garage...... a POS.

My mom really likes the Volkswagen CC. Consumer has given it a couple good ratings so far.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #54
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't the C class the entry level lineup for Benz?

The cheapest Mercedes used to be the 190E. The independent Mercedes mechanic that I used to work for would refer to them as "Pintos". Said they were crappy cars compared the the higher level models, and even when compared to some of the better domestics at the time. Perhaps nothing has changed but the model name?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #55
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2005 ML350 and it's awsome...no problems yet..knock on wood. I like the Volvo XC-90 SUV for the family...i think that will be the next family car.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #56
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We had no choice for that car. We had an H2 (BIG mistake) got into financil trouble and my grandad bought it for us. We didnt want a Merc, but guess what was in my grandads garage...... a POS.

My mom really likes the Volkswagen CC. Consumer has given it a couple good ratings so far.
since this got bumped...im interested in elaboration of the "BIG mistake"
Old 09-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #57
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Worried about quality???

Old 09-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #58
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
sine this got bumped...im interested in elaboration of the "BIG mistake"
me too! please elaborate!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #59
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
C240? That is the crappy one anyway. Get a real Merc and the quality will be better.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #60
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery