1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poll: How you research buying cars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Cryin Ryan, Oct 27, 2013.

?

What do you use to buy cars?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2013.
  1. Craigslist

48.4%
  2. Autotrader

51.6%
  3. Cars.Com

35.5%
  4. E-bay

12.9%
  5. Other (comment)

32.3%
  1. Oct 27, 2013 at 10:06 PM
    Cryin Ryan

Cryin Ryan [OP] TYBG

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 SR5 V6
    Super Stock... For now
    My dad's car lot has been slow recently. We usually sell toyota, honda, ford,etc around 4-8 thousand, I was wondernig what you guys use to find cars to buy, i.e. Craigslist, Autotrader, cars.com etc.
    Thanks for comments/votes!

2. Oct 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Once I know which product I'm interested in I go for price man. I've used all the sites you listed above to compare but, it's really hard to do given that no two used cars/trucks are exactly the same.

I've bought only a few used cars and they were from people I knew/know. But, the overall driving factor is getting a good deal. Lowest price is great but, not always the best deal for me.

What are you guys doing to drive business? Type of advertising? Extended Warranties? Co-marketing? Has the area changed...I mean have other large draw / high traffic businesses moved away? Are other car dealers near your location? Does your inventory reflect the current demand?

But to answer your question...I like to be able to search inventory on line (all the sites you listed) and see it in print. I don't often use printed news paper type but, those car books one might find at the entrance of a grocery store.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  3. Oct 27, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    Cryin Ryan

Cryin Ryan [OP] TYBG

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 SR5 V6
    Super Stock... For now
    My dad came to The US In 1970 with 100 dollars, he got his masters and met my mom. He started the business in 87 by himself and has stayed on Miramar Rd since then. I usually do ads on Craigslist and autotrader, but no Craigslist the past month, because school has taken up my time. My dads not good with computers, so he doesn't know how to do Craigslist. We do auto trader still, and this cars.com rep keeps e-mailing us and calling. I just say not interested. All our cars are clean title and most come with a 30 day power train warranty at the list price only. I just wanna help out my dad because he seems really stressed sometimes when he doesn't sell anything.
    Ryan

4. Oct 27, 2013 at 10:26 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    We usually go through all the possible places we can (craigslist, local dealers, carmax, ECT...)

Does his lot happen to be mirramar trucks?

5. Oct 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM
    Cryin Ryan

Cryin Ryan [OP] TYBG

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 SR5 V6
    Super Stock... For now
    No, it's a small lot across from the base near harbor freight

6. Oct 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Ok, not real familiar with that area, if it was Miramar trucks i'd be able to put in a good word.

7. Oct 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM
    ErocksTaco

ErocksTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DCSB Sport Radiant Red
    OME 886 and rear Dakars Light Racing Upper Control Arms All pro U-bolt flip with Timbren Bump Stops CVJ Reman axles with off road boots Adventure Offroad Fab Sliders ARB Front Bumper Interior LEDs Weathertechs 2009+ taillights 2009+ headlights
    I have bought 4 vehicles from ads on craigslist, and a couple from ads on autotrader. I've also sold 4 vehicles on craigslist.
    I actually prefer buying cars from private sellers and hate going to dealerships, so craigslist is better for that

8. Oct 28, 2013 at 3:20 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Sorry man I cut out the car lots.. I go to the wholesale man in my C.U. I got this with 5k on it for 7k less then the lots.[​IMG]

9. Oct 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    I search every source I can find. Dealer inventory on the web is very useful. Autotrader is probably the first thing I check after I decide on make and model.

10. Oct 29, 2013 at 8:21 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I search strictly craigslist personally, but haven't bought a car recently. We typically search anything we can when looking for cars (I'm our family's resident obsessive researcher so they all typically tell me what they want and set me loose on the internet). I will say that I typically shy away from dealer ads on craigslist at first, but that's just my preference.

11. Oct 29, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    All of the above!!!

12. Oct 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 Subaru WRX
    I used a little bit of everything. When I was pricing Tacoma's didn't take long to realize that I might as well buy new because a used one cost every bit as much. A wiser man would probably check out consumer's digest. I just associate that with how smart wealthy old people decide on what to buy.

13. Oct 29, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    CL is SO easy, and invaluable in his industry. It's time for your Dad to learn, especially if there's a measurable difference in sales when you post CL ads for him. Gotta adapt to market changes to stay competitive, especially in such a marketing-technology driven business.

14. Oct 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    When I was looking for my truck I mostly used cars.com. I also use Craigslist when I'm looking to buy private-party. Like others have said, your dad should learn how to use Craigslist. It's extremely easy to use. And also, get a dealer website, like someone else said. I always check a dealer's inventory online before I stop and checkout a vehicle.

15. Oct 29, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I go to the dealership and buy what I want. I have a good idea what the invoice price is before arriving and and good idea what my trade is worth. I walk in with a 10 day payoff and use the equity that I have built up in my vehicle as a down payment toward the new vehicle. I never finance past 4 years.

I get the value of the vehicle that I am trading from our Fire Dept Credit Union and also check KBB for a cross reference.

16. Nov 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    Cryin Ryan

Cryin Ryan [OP] TYBG

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 SR5 V6
    Super Stock... For now
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I really appreciate all the feedback! Yeah we have a webiste, but it's like an Autotrader based website caliautoimport.com a.k.a. all the cars on there are from whatever we have on autotrader. Thanks!

17. Nov 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    F75gunslinger

F75gunslinger Ka like a wheel

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Rochester,NY
    Vehicle:
    SWB '10 Doublecab TRD Sport 4x4
    Cluster and Radio LED swap,Westin bull bar,2nd set of bed tie downs,URD SS,K&N filter,weathertechs
    Also keep in mind that alot of the dealers are using the internet to bring people in from alot farther than what used to be considered the normal sales range. It used to be that people looked around at local lots and dealers as they went by,or planned a day to go test drive stuff and that was it. With the internet, they look at what they want and who has the best price. I bought used when I bought my truck,and had to travel roughly 3 hours to take a look at it and go for a test drive. I just couldn't find a 6 speed around here..and that was something I wanted. I did my research on here first,to see who was having problems with what. Then I started looking..found what model and what options i wanted,and found my truck. Cars.com and autotrader are invaluable as a resource when doing your shopping,and most people know about them. It might not be a bad idea to look into both those sites.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  18. Nov 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Generally, car auctions. I've bought about 20 or so cars from some type of auction or another. No, I'm not a dealer and don't have a connection to one.

19. Nov 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Go to tacomaworld; buy a tacoma. End research.

20. Nov 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    Fox 21 Alpha

Fox 21 Alpha Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab V6 6spd Off Road
    I used cars.com and autotrader a lot when buying my truck. I traveled 10 some hours away via plane train and cars to pick up my truck because I was picky with features. I too shy away a little from dealer Craigslist ads but I so t think they hurt.

I judge a business a lot by a well done and updated website. If I click the autotrader ad or google it, I feel very confident when a website pops up with more pictures, information, hours, an about us section, and good contact info. I also take google reviews serious as well, as if someone was pissed enough to go on there and leave a bad review, and the business didn't take the time to google themselves once a week and either reply or fix it, I think it shows a lot.

Best of luck and hope things turn around!

Products Discussed in

To Top