Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Poll: How you research buying cars

View Poll Results: What do you use to buy cars?
Craigslist 15 48.39%
Autotrader 16 51.61%
Cars.Com 11 35.48%
E-bay 4 12.90%
Other (comment) 10 32.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
TYBG
Cryin Ryan is on a distinguished road

Cryin Ryan's Tacoma Gallery
Poll: How you research buying cars

My dad's car lot has been slow recently. We usually sell toyota, honda, ford,etc around 4-8 thousand, I was wondernig what you guys use to find cars to buy, i.e. Craigslist, Autotrader, cars.com etc.
Thanks for comments/votes!
Old 10-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Once I know which product I'm interested in I go for price man. I've used all the sites you listed above to compare but, it's really hard to do given that no two used cars/trucks are exactly the same.

I've bought only a few used cars and they were from people I knew/know. But, the overall driving factor is getting a good deal. Lowest price is great but, not always the best deal for me.

What are you guys doing to drive business? Type of advertising? Extended Warranties? Co-marketing? Has the area changed...I mean have other large draw / high traffic businesses moved away? Are other car dealers near your location? Does your inventory reflect the current demand?

But to answer your question...I like to be able to search inventory on line (all the sites you listed) and see it in print. I don't often use printed news paper type but, those car books one might find at the entrance of a grocery store.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
TYBG

My dad came to The US In 1970 with 100 dollars, he got his masters and met my mom. He started the business in 87 by himself and has stayed on Miramar Rd since then. I usually do ads on Craigslist and autotrader, but no Craigslist the past month, because school has taken up my time. My dads not good with computers, so he doesn't know how to do Craigslist. We do auto trader still, and this cars.com rep keeps e-mailing us and calling. I just say not interested. All our cars are clean title and most come with a 30 day power train warranty at the list price only. I just wanna help out my dad because he seems really stressed sometimes when he doesn't sell anything.
Ryan
Old 10-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
We usually go through all the possible places we can (craigslist, local dealers, carmax, ECT...)

Does his lot happen to be mirramar trucks?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
TYBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
We usually go through all the possible places we can (craigslist, local dealers, carmax, ECT...)

Does his lot happen to be mirramar trucks?
No, it's a small lot across from the base near harbor freight
Old 10-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryin Ryan View Post
No, it's a small lot across from the base near harbor freight
Ok, not real familiar with that area, if it was Miramar trucks i'd be able to put in a good word.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
ErocksTaco has a spectacular aura aboutErocksTaco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Eric
ErocksTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have bought 4 vehicles from ads on craigslist, and a couple from ads on autotrader. I've also sold 4 vehicles on craigslist.
I actually prefer buying cars from private sellers and hate going to dealerships, so craigslist is better for that
Old 10-28-2013, 04:20 AM   #8
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry man I cut out the car lots.. I go to the wholesale man in my C.U. I got this with 5k on it for 7k less then the lots.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
I search every source I can find. Dealer inventory on the web is very useful. Autotrader is probably the first thing I check after I decide on make and model.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I search strictly craigslist personally, but haven't bought a car recently. We typically search anything we can when looking for cars (I'm our family's resident obsessive researcher so they all typically tell me what they want and set me loose on the internet). I will say that I typically shy away from dealer ads on craigslist at first, but that's just my preference.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Winker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Winker's Tacoma Gallery
I used a little bit of everything. When I was pricing Tacoma's didn't take long to realize that I might as well buy new because a used one cost every bit as much. A wiser man would probably check out consumer's digest. I just associate that with how smart wealthy old people decide on what to buy.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
I have used cars.com for my last three auto purchases.

Does your father's dealership have a website? If not, think about it. They are cheap and relatively easy to set up. It's all about the online marketplace now. People want to see details and 1000 pictures of the vehicle before they travel to see it in person. I would utilize tools like autotrader.com and cars.com. They are both constantly running commercials on TV and radio, so consumers have grown to know and trust them.

Hope it works out. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryin Ryan View Post
My dads not good with computers, so he doesn't know how to do Craigslist.
CL is SO easy, and invaluable in his industry. It's time for your Dad to learn, especially if there's a measurable difference in sales when you post CL ads for him. Gotta adapt to market changes to stay competitive, especially in such a marketing-technology driven business.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
When I was looking for my truck I mostly used cars.com. I also use Craigslist when I'm looking to buy private-party. Like others have said, your dad should learn how to use Craigslist. It's extremely easy to use. And also, get a dealer website, like someone else said. I always check a dealer's inventory online before I stop and checkout a vehicle.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
I go to the dealership and buy what I want. I have a good idea what the invoice price is before arriving and and good idea what my trade is worth. I walk in with a 10 day payoff and use the equity that I have built up in my vehicle as a down payment toward the new vehicle. I never finance past 4 years.

I get the value of the vehicle that I am trading from our Fire Dept Credit Union and also check KBB for a cross reference.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #17
TYBG

Thanks for all the replies guys! I really appreciate all the feedback! Yeah we have a webiste, but it's like an Autotrader based website caliautoimport.com a.k.a. all the cars on there are from whatever we have on autotrader. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
Ka like a wheel
F75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
F75gunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
Also keep in mind that alot of the dealers are using the internet to bring people in from alot farther than what used to be considered the normal sales range. It used to be that people looked around at local lots and dealers as they went by,or planned a day to go test drive stuff and that was it. With the internet, they look at what they want and who has the best price. I bought used when I bought my truck,and had to travel roughly 3 hours to take a look at it and go for a test drive. I just couldn't find a 6 speed around here..and that was something I wanted. I did my research on here first,to see who was having problems with what. Then I started looking..found what model and what options i wanted,and found my truck. Cars.com and autotrader are invaluable as a resource when doing your shopping,and most people know about them. It might not be a bad idea to look into both those sites.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #19
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Generally, car auctions. I've bought about 20 or so cars from some type of auction or another. No, I'm not a dealer and don't have a connection to one.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #20
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Go to tacomaworld; buy a tacoma. End research.