LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Space and Science BS Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #21
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
....the moon... is made of swiss cheese
Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #22
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
....the moon... is made of swiss cheese
^^^ This ^^^
Old 10-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #23
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Hasn't been ON the moon, but it circled around it quite a few times.

Piece of heat shield from one of the Apollo command modules Dad brought home from work (he worked on the CSM in Downey).

Attached Thumbnails
Space and Science BS Thread-heatshield.jpg  
Old 10-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #24
Better not bring your kids
Cykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cav Scout, Heavy Equip Op
Name: Charles
Cykososhull's Tacoma Gallery
This link is old, but I've been trying to follow the large comet thats gonna pass earth and hit Mars. http://english.pravda.ru/news/scienc...-mars_comet-0/

Quote:
According to scientists, a catastrophe of global scale may occur on Mars. The trajectory of comet C/2013 A1, which Australian astronomers discovered in early 2013, will supposedly intersect with Mars. If it happens, the impact will produce an explosion, the power of which will be equivalent to 20 billion megatons of TNT.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #25
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Hasn't been ON the moon, but it circled around it quite a few times.

Piece of heat shield from one of the Apollo command modules Dad brought home from work (he worked on the CSM in Downey).

that's awesome. you should frame that sucker for posterity

prof of one of my earlier classes is researching micrometeor impacts on the moon, let us play with samples from apollo 12. Very few people can say theyve touched part of the moon with their bare hands
Old 10-30-2013, 03:19 AM   #26
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery

Soon anyone with enough money will be able to travel 1.8 miles below the surface of the sea
http://news.discovery.com/earth/ocea...ion-131014.htm
Old 10-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #27
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
Oh snap, my kinda thread! I swear Tacoma World has it all!
Old 10-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #28
Eat right, be fit, die anyway
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zacharypaul89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Just learned the first one today actually. Whats the show?
It's just about outer space stuff. Each episode is about something different. Black holes, supernovas, comets, etc. It's awesome.

Here's a cool story. My grandfather, who is dead now, was friends with Neil Armstrong. He died when I was 6, but when I was old enough, my mom and I were going through his stuff and I found a bunch of letters to and from Neil. Of course, I asked how the heck that came about and she said that my grandfather was one of the architects that helped do something with the takeoff platforms and they met and became friends...well, more pen pals than friends. But the letters talk about being in space and on the moon and everything, along with his personal life. I've always wanted to take them on Pawn Stars just to see what they'd say about them. Of course, I'd never sell them
Old 10-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #29
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharypaul89 View Post
It's just about outer space stuff. Each episode is about something different. Black holes, supernovas, comets, etc. It's awesome.

Here's a cool story. My grandfather, who is dead now, was friends with Neil Armstrong. He died when I was 6, but when I was old enough, my mom and I were going through his stuff and I found a bunch of letters to and from Neil. Of course, I asked how the heck that came about and she said that my grandfather was one of the architects that helped do something with the takeoff platforms and they met and became friends...well, more pen pals than friends. But the letters talk about being in space and on the moon and everything, along with his personal life. I've always wanted to take them on Pawn Stars just to see what they'd say about them. Of course, I'd never sell them
Sounds like a good show ill have to look into it.

And that's sweet. Dont take them to pawn stars tho its fake
Old 10-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #30
Got2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryder
Got2ryde's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
Little bit of chemistry. Do not mix chlorine and brake fluid together.
You know if you don't tell us why, you are going to be responsible for a lot of people(like myself) finding out for themselves.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #31
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Sounds like a good show ill have to look into it.

And that's sweet. Dont take them to pawn stars tho its fake
Haha I know. "It's worth $3000? I'll give you 8 bucks"
Old 10-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2ryde View Post
You know if you don't tell us why, you are going to be responsible for a lot of people(like myself) finding out for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharypaul89 View Post
Haha I know. "It's worth $3000? I'll give you 8 bucks"
Lol true but not even that part. They select who goes in, they give people the stuff to sell (not always but most times), etc
Old 10-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #33
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2ryde View Post
This,

Now please don't try this at home. I take no responsibility for it if you do. I figure there is someone on these forums that has a pool and also has brake fluid stored somewhere in their garage. This is a friendly reminder to not let the two get close to each other because they don't like each other very much.

I've been assigned to the Haz Mat team since I came on the job 20 years ago. I've been a Haz Mat Chemistry Tech for almost as long. The Chlorine that you see in the video is not actually chlorine but "chlorine tablets / powder" that you use in your pool. It is actually calcium hypochlorite. Chlorine in it's native state boils at -29.27F so obviously you can't handle that.

It is amazing the amount of chemicals that react with each other and we as a Haz Mat team have to figure out which chemicals might be involved and what might happen if they mix. Fun stuff

Oh... one more thing.... If you ever see something marked Ethylene Oxide (EO) Run the fuck away. EO is so bad it doesn't even like itself.

Just for fun. This is a train derailment in Indiana during a tornado. The train was on a trestle when the tornado hit the train. There are "buffer" cars between cars carrying chemicals that do no like each other. The tank car that you see hit the back of the engine is a EO tank car. Luckily enough the head shield of the tank car did it's job and didn't release product. If it did... It would have been spectacular.

Tornado hits at the 0.56 sec mark in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY2YJRB1atQ

Now... I'm one of the few people in the state that can respond to derailments. Yea me....

Old 10-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #34

Potential cure for Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Huntington's, and other neurological diseases.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24462699
Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #35

Quote:
This,

Now please don't try this at home. I take no responsibility for it if you do. I figure there is someone on these forums that has a pool and also has brake fluid stored somewhere in their garage. This is a friendly reminder to not let the two get close to each other because they don't like each other very much.

I've been assigned to the Haz Mat team since I came on the job 20 years ago. I've been a Haz Mat Chemistry Tech for almost as long. The Chlorine that you see in the video is not actually chlorine but "chlorine tablets / powder" that you use in your pool. It is actually calcium hypochlorite. Chlorine in it's native state boils at -29.27F so obviously you can't handle that.

It is amazing the amount of chemicals that react with each other and we as a Haz Mat team have to figure out which chemicals might be involved and what might happen if they mix. Fun stuff

Oh... one more thing.... If you ever see something marked Ethylene Oxide (EO) Run the fuck away. EO is so bad it doesn't even like itself.

Just for fun. This is a train derailment in Indiana during a tornado. The train was on a trestle when the tornado hit the train. There are "buffer" cars between cars carrying chemicals that do no like each other. The tank car that you see hit the back of the engine is a EO tank car. Luckily enough the head shield of the tank car did it's job and didn't release product. If it did... It would have been spectacular.

Now... I'm one of the few people in the state that can respond to derailments. Yea me....

I'm going to go buy some chlorine tablets when I get off work Reminds me of when I was in high school and mixed toilet bowl cleaner and balled up tin foil to make compressed air bombs. Of course, we just did it in the back yard for shits and giggles. I saw on the news a few months back of kids throwing them at people

And that train video is crazy!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #36
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Potential cure for Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Huntington's, and other neurological diseases.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24462699
Canadians have a cure for cancer too.

http://www.sott.net/article/228583-S...e-takes-notice
Old 10-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgreentaco View Post
Canadians have a cure for cancer too.

http://www.sott.net/article/228583-S...e-takes-notice
I think I heard/read somewhere that a 19 year old had found a cure
Old 10-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #38
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This,

polyethylene glycol + calcium hypochlorite = fun
Old 10-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #39
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think I heard/read somewhere that a 19 year old had found a cure
Yeah, last year a 17 year old girl from the bay area came up with an idea for using nanoparticles to deliver medicine to the cancerous cells. I cant remember the details, but i think it worked on mice.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:56 AM   #40

Aparently a lot of people at my school are in to space. Exploring the universe is the only science class that has a wait list.