LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Space and Science BS Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 04:58 AM   #41
TWINSIES!
Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty Shackleford
Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Very interesting and possibly exciting breakthrough in water desalinization. If this can be made economically attractive as well as viable on the small scale, then this is possibly Nobel Prize-winning work.

http://www.utexas.edu/news/2013/06/2...ter-at-a-time/

Quote:
By creating a small electrical field that removes salts from seawater, chemists at The University of Texas at Austin and the University of Marburg in Germany have introduced a new method for the desalination of seawater that consumes less energy and is dramatically simpler than conventional techniques. The new method requires so little energy that it can run on a store-bought battery.

The process evades the problems confronting current desalination methods by eliminating the need for a membrane and by separating salt from water at a microscale.

The technique, called electrochemically mediated seawater desalination, was described last week in the journal Angewandte Chemie. The research team was led by Richard Crooks of The University of Texas at Austin and Ulrich Tallarek of the University of Marburg. It’s patent-pending and is in commercial development by startup company Okeanos Technologies.

“The availability of water for drinking and crop irrigation is one of the most basic requirements for maintaining and improving human health,” said Crooks, the Robert A. Welch Chair in Chemistry in the College of Natural Sciences. “Seawater desalination is one way to address this need, but most current methods for desalinating water rely on expensive and easily contaminated membranes. The membrane-free method we’ve developed still needs to be refined and scaled up, but if we can succeed at that, then one day it might be possible to provide fresh water on a massive scale using a simple, even portable, system.”

This new method holds particular promise for the water-stressed areas in which about a third of the planet’s inhabitants live. Many of these regions have access to abundant seawater but not to the energy infrastructure or money necessary to desalt water using conventional technology. As a result, millions of deaths per year in these regions are attributed to water-related causes.

“People are dying because of a lack of freshwater,” said Tony Frudakis, founder and CEO of Okeanos Technologies. “And they’ll continue to do so until there is some kind of breakthrough, and that is what we are hoping our technology will represent.”

The left panel shows the salt (which is tagged with a fluorescent tracer) flowing upward after a voltage is applied by an electrode (the dark rectangle) jutting into the channel at just the point where it branches. In the right panel no voltage is being applied.

To achieve desalination, the researchers apply a small voltage (3.0 volts) to a plastic chip filled with seawater. The chip contains a microchannel with two branches. At the junction of the channel an embedded electrode neutralizes some of the chloride ions in seawater to create an “ion depletion zone” that increases the local electric field compared with the rest of the channel. This change in the electric field is sufficient to redirect salts into one branch, allowing desalinated water to pass through the other branch.

“The neutralization reaction occurring at the electrode is key to removing the salts in seawater,” said Kyle Knust, a graduate student in Crooks’ lab and first author on the paper.

Like a troll at the foot of the bridge, the ion depletion zone prevents salt from passing through, resulting in the production of freshwater.

Thus far Crooks and his colleagues have achieved 25 percent desalination. Although drinking water requires 99 percent desalination, they are confident that goal can be achieved.

“This was a proof of principle,” said Knust. “We’ve made comparable performance improvements while developing other applications based on the formation of an ion depletion zone. That suggests that 99 percent desalination is not beyond our reach.”

The other major challenge is to scale up the process. Right now the microchannels, about the size of a human hair, produce about 40 nanoliters of desalted water per minute. To make this technique practical for individual or communal use, a device would have to produce liters of water per day. The authors are confident that this can be achieved as well.

If these engineering challenges are surmounted, they foresee a future in which the technology is deployed at different scales to meet different needs.

“You could build a disaster relief array or a municipal-scale unit,” said Frudakis. “Okeanos has even contemplated building a small system that would look like a Coke machine and would operate in a standalone fashion to produce enough water for a small village.”
Old 10-31-2013, 05:34 AM   #42
Eat right, be fit, die anyway
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zacharypaul89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Aparently a lot of people at my school are in to space. Exploring the universe is the only science class that has a wait list.
I took ASTR 1101 and 1102 as my required core science classes and it a great decision! I really had no interest in space until those classes. Now, I wish I could be an ASTR major! Too bad I'd have to take physics and crap like that. I think it's one of the hardest majors at my school, but the beginner classes were awesome!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:48 AM   #43
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharypaul89 View Post
I took ASTR 1101 and 1102 as my required core science classes and it a great decision! I really had no interest in space until those classes. Now, I wish I could be an ASTR major! Too bad I'd have to take physics and crap like that. I think it's one of the hardest majors at my school, but the beginner classes were awesome!
I love physics and I love space. Looking back I probably should have gone for aeronautical engineering. Maybe someday ill go back to school..
Old 10-31-2013, 06:01 AM   #44
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I love physics and I love space. Looking back I probably should have gone for aeronautical engineering. Maybe someday ill go back to school..
I love all sciences really, except political. I started out in mechanical engineering technology, and then realized I diddint have the stomach for extremely accurate mathematics as a profession. Once I learned how engineering works, I had a whole new respect for the insane "wicked problems" as they are known and especially aeronautical engineers. I am amazed at the chain of problem solving skills that goes into the solution of one little bolt, especially on an aircraft. Although I eventually changed majors got my degree in another Profession, I still use all that I learned in my engineering years to build and modify my own daily life projects. It's invaluable stuff! It's really cool to look at the world and have an understanding of what will or wont fail and the forces acting on all of this matter.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:06 AM   #45
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runn0r View Post
I love all sciences really, except political. I started out in mechanical engineering technology, and then realized I diddint have the stomach for extremely accurate mathematics as a profession. Once I learned how engineering works, I had a whole new respect for the insane "wicked problems" as they are known and especially aeronautical engineers. I am amazed at the chain of problem solving skills that goes into the solution of one little bolt, especially on an aircraft. Although I eventually changed majors got my degree in another Profession, I still use all that I learned in my engineering years to build and modify my own daily life projects. It's invaluable stuff! It's really cool to look at the world and have an understanding of what will or wont fail and the forces acting on all of this matter.
I completely agree.. I was an ME major but unfortunately changed out of it because I was a lazy freshman..
Old 10-31-2013, 06:17 AM   #46
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I completely agree.. I was an ME major but unfortunately changed out of it because I was a lazy freshman..
I the same. I stuck with it taking a few classes twice and was like too classes short of an A.S. but I realized that my maths background from all the way back to gradeschool had never been great, and that the creative path more of my natural path. Although as iv'e gotten older, I find myself revisiting engineering math and understanding it better now. I read somewhere that the two frontal lobes of the brain dont fully grow together until about 22 - 25 years old, and then more rational thinking begins. maybe thats it! I dunno, but yeah I definitely respect those guys building the worlds most insane machines. I.E. The Lockheed A12 Oxcart. It leaked fuel at ground elevation, because the titanium would stretch and seal up at full speed over Russia...
Old 10-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #47

yeah I dont know.. If I had the money I'd try to dual major in AE and Finance. Call me crazy but I like math lol. And yes I understand engineering is more than just math
Old 10-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #48
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if y'all have heard of this but it's rather tragic to me. My physics 2 teacher this year is going to France to use there collider and to think texas could have a serious set up.
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...as-1757185.php
Old 10-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #49
dmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud of

Air Force: Metal's Tech
dmb's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #50
TWINSIES!
Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPreRunner View Post
Not sure if y'all have heard of this but it's rather tragic to me. My physics 2 teacher this year is going to France to use there collider and to think texas could have a serious set up.
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...as-1757185.php
It's unfortunate that that sort of project would never happen here in the US. The populace is too stupid and afraid of science & technology that doesn't have immediate impact to appreciate such research and the politicians are too weak-willed to genuinely seriously advocate the capital.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
It's unfortunate that that sort of project would never happen here in the US. The populace is too stupid and afraid of science & technology that doesn't have immediate impact to appreciate such research and the politicians are too weak-willed to genuinely seriously advocate the capital.
This.. americans dont care about science or space anymore.. this is why all you hear on the news is "Miley Cyrus drank a glass of milk today" instead of news about finding new exoplanets
Old 10-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #52
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This.. americans dont care about science or space anymore.. this is why all you hear on the news is "Miley Cyrus drank a glass of milk today" instead of news about finding new exoplanets
I would go a step farther and say Americans deny science more than lots of other countries
Old 10-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I would go a step farther and say Americans deny science more than lots of other countries
I wouldn't deny that.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #54
Sorry for party rockin'
TacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dunk
TacticalBacon13's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.iflscience.com/space/flyover-mars

here is the website i was telling you about corey.
im excited to see what the fly over looks like when they finish

here is what i guess you can call a teaser of it
http://youtu.be/XOPUdZtnt24
Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #55
TWINSIES!

Quote:
Intelligence is looked down upon in this country. Forgetting the hipster perversion, being labeled a "nerd" gets you kicked in the balls in the hallways at school while being an athlete gets your pinkie wet. Athleticism is what gives everyone boners; why do you think your college football coaches are paid exponentially more than the professors?

There isn't anything wrong with being an athlete, but the priorities in this country are definitely fucked up.

Quote:
Yessir. Our politicians are elected based upon whether or not they believe in evolution and climate change.

Hint: if you don't believe in either, then you stand a great chance of being elected to our Congress.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalBacon13 View Post
http://www.iflscience.com/space/flyover-mars

here is the website i was telling you about.
yup I liked it on FB, I dont think I got anything done yesterday because of it
Old 10-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #57
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
although sad about it i agree this country cares more about miley cyrus ,food ,and jesus than anything else
Old 10-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
Intelligence is looked down upon in this country. Forgetting the hipster perversion, being labeled a "nerd" gets you kicked in the balls in the hallways at school while being an athlete gets your pinkie wet. Athleticism is what gives everyone boners; why do you think your college football coaches are paid exponentially more than the professors?

There isn't anything wrong with being an athlete, but the priorities in this country are definitely fucked up.

Yessir. Our politicians are elected based upon whether or not they believe in evolution and climate change.

Hint: if you don't believe in either, then you stand a great chance of being elected to our Congress.
+1 Well stated. Nothing wrong with being an athlete but athletes provide entertainment while "nerds" provide knowledge and as Francis Bacon said, "Knowledge is power"
Old 10-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #59

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, too many people are soooo friggin narcissist these days, they dont observe anything about the natural world around them....rather they observe status updates on wastebook and try to fill the empty lack of personality they experience with vicarious hallucinations of celebrity personification. makes me sick. It just seems like there are WAAAAAY less autonomously thinking people these days and Waayyyyy more narcissist sheep who bend over and take the enema feed of hollywood and political propaganda without question to the origin or reasoning as to why they consume this type of trash and hold it paramount over the wonders of existence. Knowledge and vision are gift's, but they are also curse's because those who posses them see through the facade of "popular" society and how flawed, fake, sad, insecure, and primitive it really is....... You want to change it, but sometimes only evolution and thousands of years can change it.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #60

Just so this thread doesnt get closed I'd like to keep political talk out. I'm all for discussing discoveries, advancements, etc but I'd really like to see this thread stay open. Thanks