Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Space and Science BS Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #121
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgreentaco View Post
The fact we have animals on this planet, living at 7000ft below sea level, and in 750degree heat, shows what is possible on other planets where conditions mimic these ones.
yup or the fact that bacteria lived when this planet had a molten gaseous terrain
Old 11-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #122
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hot water freezes fast than cold mindblown.jpg

http://www.iflscience.com/chemistry/...ow-we-know-why
Old 11-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #123
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Just laying out possible scenarios. I'd like to know what humans would do about that kind of stuff
We won't actively do anything other than perhaps fight the inevitable by building more efficient shelters.... but with or without that, human evolution will continue as it always has.
The world is a very different place than it was 1000, 2000, 3000, and more years ago.
Humanity has weathered multiple ice ages, impact events, and climate change that makes what we are seeing today look like a statistical error.
Those capable of surviving will survive and pass their traits on to the next generation. Those incapable of surviving will not, and humans will continue to change until the planet is a lifeless cinder.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #124
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Since we are talking about space, I'd cautiously like to breach the subject of life on other planets.....Personally, with the amount of habitable planets out there, I believe something else has to be forming or has formed out there. What is your guys thoughts on this? If you guys think this could result in a shitting up of this thread, let me know and Ill delete this post.
I honestly don't get why the religious crowd is so opposed to that idea.

The possibility of life existing on another planet in no way "cheapens" life here, nor reduces God's love for us, any more than the fact that life exists on multiple continents, and there are huge differences in physical form between people of different continents.

Personally, I believe that we must be incredibly selfish to believe that of all of the billions of stars and billions of possibly habitable planets, that we are the only intelligent life... much less LIFE FORMS... in this universe.

I also believe that we must be incredibly conceited to believe that an intelligent culture capable of interstellar or interdimensional travel would be remotely interested in us, other than possibly scavenging natural resources or slaves.
"V" and "Cowboys vs Aliens" are the most likely reality should we encounter an alien race.

So... life elsewhere? Absolutely.
Aliens visiting earth? Not a chance.

Those using aliens to attempt to explain incredible accomplishments in human history are seriously underestimating the capabilities of an endless supply of slave labor and a lifetime to accomplish one task.
Humanity did not always have the attention span of a room full of kids with a truckload of Pixie Stix.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #125
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post

The possibility of life existing on another planet in no way "cheapens" life here, nor reduces God's love for us, any more than the fact that life exists on multiple continents, and there are huge differences in physical form between people of different continents.

Personally, I believe that we must be incredibly selfish to believe that of all of the billions of stars and billions of possibly habitable planets, that we are the only intelligent life... much less LIFE FORMS... in this universe.

I also believe that we must be incredibly conceited to believe that an intelligent culture capable of interstellar or interdimensional travel would be remotely interested in us, other than possibly scavenging natural resources or slaves.
"V" and "Cowboys vs Aliens" are the most likely reality should we encounter an alien race.

Those using aliens to attempt to explain incredible accomplishments in human history are seriously underestimating the capabilities of an endless supply of slave labor and a lifetime to accomplish one task.
Humanity did not always have the attention span of a room full of kids with a truckload of Pixie Stix.
Like you said, a lifeform that has mastered interstellar travel would not have the need to constantly abduct hillbillies every week to shove things up their asses....I can entertain an abduction once every 2000years or so during our evolution...observing our brain and locomotion evolution, maybe?
I think church leaders are on both ends of the spectrums in their beliefs in life on other planets. IIRC the mormons have the most open stance believing in alien life and on the other end, the crowd who thinks our planet is only 6000 yrs old. People had shitloads of freetime long ago. Enough time to build huge structures with lotsa people. People have been crazy-talented for thousands of years, and like you said, it diminishes their accomplishments to insinuate aliens were helping them to lift blocks or carve into them.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #126
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post

The Vatican doesn't have a problem with it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/7399661.stm
Old 11-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #127
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The Vatican doesn't have a problem with it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/7399661.stm

They actually have an observatory at the pope's vacation home in italy, and one in Arizona somewhere. Suprising isn't it?
Old 11-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #128
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They actually have an observatory at the pope's vacation home in italy, and one in Arizona somewhere. Suprising isn't it?
Maybe not that suprising

http://ufodigest.com/balducci.html

http://youtu.be/5MYCfq4uA7k

http://vaticanobservatory.org/News/GOD_ALIENS.html
Old 11-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #129
XXXXL Member

God's sperm.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #130
Senior Injector
Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty Shackleford
Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
I'll try to keep this in context for the sake of this thread... It's at times hard to balance religious (or perhaps better stated as "spiritual") beliefs and scientific evidence. Am I saying that the religious belief is wrong? Not necessarily but picking and choosing what science you believe, even in the face of OVERWHELMING evidence, is ridiculous.

In any event. Sorry if this is a repost but I just thought I'd share, albeit a little late:

http://www.egr.uh.edu/news/201310/ha...you-everything
Old 11-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
I'll try to keep this in context for the sake of this thread... It's at times hard to balance religious (or perhaps better stated as "spiritual") beliefs and scientific evidence. Am I saying that the religious belief is wrong? Not necessarily but picking and choosing what science you believe, even in the face of OVERWHELMING evidence, is ridiculous.

In any event. Sorry if this is a repost but I just thought I'd share, albeit a little late:

http://www.egr.uh.edu/news/201310/ha...you-everything
I agree with you. I understand being religious but when the 100% solid evidence is there...
Old 11-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #132
chenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone else get up to see the hybrid eclipse?

The clouds added some nice drama and look good in pics, but unfortunately it also meant that I could only see the event for about 4 minutes before the sun disappeared completely from my view
Old 11-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #133
Senior Injector
Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty Shackleford
Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenbro View Post
Anyone else get up to see the hybrid eclipse?

The clouds added some nice drama and look good in pics, but unfortunately it also meant that I could only see the event for about 4 minutes before the sun disappeared completely from my view
Holy cow that's gorgeous.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #134
XXXXL Member

A month old, but still thought this was cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE3fmFTtP9g
Old 11-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #135

Man makes his son a 3D printed hand for $10
http://www.iflscience.com/technology...nd-son-only-10
Old 11-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #136
chenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Man makes his son a 3D printed hand for $10
http://www.iflscience.com/technology...nd-son-only-10
Very cool! I found this video earlier today about a robotic gripper that can hang onto rocks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPZAYNqQrQ
Old 11-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #137

That's awesome! They should develop that for people
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #138
Sorry for party rockin'
TacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dunk
TacticalBacon13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's awesome! They should develop that for people
chest mounted and let it do the work while your hands and feet are free. be a good tactical vest
Old 11-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #139

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/play...t-brain-volume

Well shit, I must be a fucking genius
Old 11-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #140
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Multi-tailed....something...floating out in the asteroid belt:

http://www.nasa.gov/press/2013/novem...et-like-tails/