Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

What is your longest trip in your Taco?

Old 10-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Bumpa is on a distinguished road
Bumpa's Tacoma Gallery
Smile What is your longest trip in your Taco?

Next August I plan on driving from Virginia to Alaska and back, 11,000 miles in about 6 weeks. Driving a PreRunner double cab 4 banger. Has anyone out there gone on a long trip like that and, if so, can you offer up suggestions?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
RedDead will become famous soon enough
RedDead's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a unlimited data plan on your phone get the nettflix app and a pioneer deck that's compatible with apps ....if not there's always red box's at gas stations...good luck tho and watch out for moose and elk...lol
Old 10-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tra...road-trip.html

He is currently on a road trip and I'm sure could offer up a suggestion or two.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like it could be a great drive. 11,000 miles in 6 weeks works out to about 260 miles a day give or take.

I've not done that long of a drive in such a short time so take it FWIW.

At the very least, I'd forecast my maintenance requirement for the conditions given and be prepared. Oil and filter changes? Breather & cabin air filter? Tire rotation? Spark plugs (I'd do this one prior to that kind if drive). Other fluid changes? A decent jack? I'd carry those supplies which might otherwise be readily available in the lower 48 but not there. I'm sure there may also be rugged thriving conditions. As much as I like not having done it though I hear if broken windshields, headlights and failed tires. Not sure those are all things you can carry but maybe done preventative measures could be used?

Outside the truck, I'd ensure I carried extra fuel & supplies such as water, food and some source of light. Blankets?

Take lots of pictures & use TW live!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Repost.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Bumpa is on a distinguished road
Bumpa's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Thanks for the advice

Should of mentioned that it is a 2014 truck and I plan on carrying extra oil filters, wiper blades and some basic survival gear. Going NW from Detroit and coming into AK from the Yukon territory. What about CB's, are they helpful up there?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
You dont even know the guy in real life, gtfo newb!
What's that have to do with reading his thread?
Old 10-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
Sounds like it could be a great drive. 11,000 miles in 6 weeks works out to about 260 miles a day give or take.

I've not done that long of a drive in such a short time so take it FWIW.

At the very least, I'd forecast my maintenance requirement for the conditions given and be prepared. Oil and filter changes? Breather & cabin air filter? Tire rotation? Spark plugs (I'd do this one prior to that kind if drive). Other fluid changes? A decent jack? I'd carry those supplies which might otherwise be readily available in the lower 48 but not there. I'm sure there may also be rugged thriving conditions. As much as I like not having done it though I hear if broken windshields, headlights and failed tires. Not sure those are all things you can carry but maybe done preventative measures could be used?

Outside the truck, I'd ensure I carried extra fuel & supplies such as water, food and some source of light. Blankets?

Take lots of pictures & use TW live!
If he stays on the Alcan highway, piece of cake. Drove from Fairbanks to Phoenix several years ago. Didn't need to carry extra gas, there were gas stations where you needed them. Weather should be ok that time of year. No broken headlights, wind shields or messed up tires.

Now if he makes side trips, then all bets are off.

x 2 on the pics. BEAUTIFUL scenery up there.