1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to do in the event of a break-in

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JimBeam, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Mar 16, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    My teacher told me the same thing.

2. Mar 16, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam [OP] BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    that whole first floor thing...its probably to ensure that you'll be able to articulate the threat and need for deadly force...if you go out of your room, down the stairs, and looking for the intruder...then its possible for solicitors/cops/etc to articulate that you didnt need deadly force...

everyone should keep that in mind...when tshtf and someone DOES break in...are you going to be ale to articulate a legitimate and lawful reason for deadly force? before you cross the barrier of even pointing/presenting a firearm you need to think about that. even drawing down on someone is considered deadly force and if you cross that line and draw down are you willing and able to neutralize the threat and minimize loss of life/injury?

this is especially important because it can get really dirty really fast...the avg gunfight lasts less than 3 seconds...theres a good chance that if the intruder has a firearm he's probably not practicing good gun control and therefore has his finger already on the trigger...he also has a lot less to lose than you do if he pulls the trigger...

the main priority should be you and your family's safety...and if that means pussing out and calling 911 and hiding in the master bath...then by all means

no one wants to lose a child/wife...but they dont want to lose a dad/husband either because he went to settle things...

one of my main reasons for doing things the way i do it...and my roommate the same...we're both trained for building clearing and necessary things like that...ive spent countless hours at the range training in high stress low light shooting situations...my roommate spent 3 tours in baghdad kicking in doors and clearing buildings...

id hate to hear about any one of yall going to jail/getting hurt/killed because you went looking for the guy and he got the jump on you or you were unable to articulate the need for deadly force

3. Mar 16, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :annoyed: :quickdraw: :annoyed:

4. Mar 16, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    gonzo6up

gonzo6up Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle Tn
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma SR5 4x4 sport
    tint/ vent visors/ seatbelt chime mod/ DTRL Mod
    TN has some of the same laws as mentioned above, like there has to be a weapon in the intruders hand and they are in fact there to hurt you. The way i look at it is i have a few extra odd knives in the kitchen that the intruder brought with him if TSHTF. I have my 45 next to the bed in the back of the house and my AK is in the mudroom near the front of hte house. I wanted weapons in different areas because i have been robbed twice but both times my wife and i were at work. If i come home and someone is in hte back of the house i can make it to my AK and vice versa. As far as a plan if we are home.... My wife will get our little girl and stay in the closet until i check everything out.... of course she has two 12 ga in the closet with her until she hears my voice. It is something that you will never expect and i hope that i don't have to shoot anyone but if they are in my house even attempting to hurt one of us then it is tough S*#t for them.

5. Mar 16, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Honestly, I don't have a plan. Fortunately, I don't feel the need to sleep ontop of a pile of loaded weapons, I don't watch TV with a gun within arm's reach, I don't posess a handgun/assault rifle/tactical shotgun. I'm not knocking those of you that live this way.......just glad that I don't.

I should add, if someone enters my house by force (regardless of intentions), I will feel threatened and will do whatever I have to to insure the safety of my family.....I won't ask questions 1st.

6. Mar 16, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Interesting topic. I was home painting the upstairs hallway one evening. The stereo downstairs was blasting Tool and I was having a nice evening when I heard the downstairs door creak and someone walking through the house.

I heard the footsteps coming through the living room and towards the bottom of the stairs, so I hopped over the paint bucket and stepstool and flew down the stairs as fast as I could, skipping 3 at a time in a controlled fall. The stairs hug an outside wall of the house and make a right-angle turn at the bottom and I saw feet come into view. I was unarmed and knew I only had 1 chance at this so with a clenched fist I prepared to hit the person's head and drive it into the wall in the hope of dazing the person.

Good thing I kept my wits about me because it turned out to be martie. She looked startled so say the least.

Ultimately, what I do depends on the situation and logistics. If I have an advantage, weapon, others to protect, or no means of escape, I won't go quietly.

7. Dec 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    jesus

jesus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jesus
    bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    K&N ram intake & doug exs.
    My two cents on this..... if you have a family and it's in the middle of the night you should first secure and account for each member before walking around all gun happy “now don't take me wrong by all mean grab you loaded weapon but collect and account for each member before you go off through the rest of the house" I think in my case I would secure my family in a room with a cell phone, bat/knife/or second weapon before I go off to check out what’s going on in the rest of the house... I've heard of to many people being over power and losing their weapon or what’s worst running through the house to find out what’s going on and shooting a family member by accident… but that just my two cents or so…. And that not to say I won’t drop any person caught in my home before I asked any questions later “lol”

8. Dec 27, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    She would have kicked your ass seven ways from Sunday. :eek:

I just tell anyone who stays at my house that if they hear something/someone breaking in that they had better get low, cause I won't run around my house telling said badguy that I am armed.
    Get Low. Don't come running into my bedroom because my wife is in there with me and I will shoot anyone who comes through that door, questions asked after the fact.

9. Dec 28, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Personally, I wouldn't talk about planting weapons on an potential intruder in a public forum. Should it ever happen, a prosecutor could use those statements against you if they can link the statements to you.

I would stay in a room, call 911 and leave the phone off the hook so that anything said would be recorded by the 911 operator.

10. Dec 28, 2009 at 5:12 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Agreed.

No way am I going to hide in my own house. You call 911 or have another family member do so. And then you tell the lowlife to GTFO and if they do not comply and enter your house shoot to kill. You gave them a warning and it was not heeded. I refuse to sit and wait for someone else to decide my fate without my say.

11. Dec 29, 2009 at 8:37 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I'm not trained to clear a house. It's not so much hiding as taking up a tactical position. You're assuming you know where he is or that you'll get to him before he enters your house. If I'm in the room or blocking the entrance, I know where the intruder has to come through to get to me and the family. It allows me to be prepared to shoot at a smaller defined space. If I start wandering around the house, I could be surprised and hit from behind.

12. Dec 29, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    True. True indeed.

Products Discussed in

To Top