1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SPEEDING TICKET

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Jimbos13, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Nov 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    Jimbos13

Jimbos13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2011 2.7L SR5 4x4
    Fuck me. Got a speeding ticket going 86 in a 65 in NY. There is no price on the ticket and they will not give me one until I plead guilty or not guilty. I could imagine this will be a pretty steep ticket but will it be worth me driving 3+ hours back to where i got it to appear in court???

2. Nov 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    ONEBAR

ONEBAR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Englewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD OR
    Most likely not. If it is anything like it is in Arizona, you have to drive there to plead not guilty then they will set another court date for you to come back and if you are lucky when you go back they will give you a decent plea bargain. Which for you would be a mitigated fine and non-criminal speeding..

But then again this all might only be relevant in Arizona.. Haha :rolleyes:

I got a speeding ticket in California that I plead guilty to so I didn't have to drive 6 hours to the court house each way.. I think I ended up paying around 500.

3. Nov 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    just plead guilty dont waste your time going back. send in a letter asking for leniency.

4. Nov 25, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Sounds pretty shitty that they won't tell you the expected fine. Typically tickets like that have an approximate fine so that you can simply mail it in. If you have the time, and want to have some fun, politely challenge the ticket. Start off by asking for the name and model of the radar detector. Then look it up and see how often it is to be calibrated. Then ask when was the last date that particular radar that clocked you was calibrated and ask for a copy of the calibration paperwork. After that ask for information specific to the ticket. Exactly WHERE was the police car that clocked you? Exactly where were you when you were clocked? Check the area for possible tree branches or signs that could mess up the signal and return signal. You could really have some legal fun. There is a guy who does this and he has gotten out of a dozen or more tickets. Fast thing would be to find out the court date, and show up in court. You have the right to face your accuser. If the police officer does not show up in court, you can request that the case be thrown out because you are not being given the right to face your accuser.

5. Nov 25, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    zopperman

zopperman LED & HID positive

Member:
    First Name:
    Zak
    Arlington, VA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner
    Lift, 32" Duratracs, sliders, LED light bar, interior LEDs, sweet tunes & sub, OBA, sliders, TRD 16" 6 spoke wheels, CB, HID spotlights, electrical mods, etc.
    buddy of mine got that EXACT ticket - 21 over was a big difference from 20 over IIRC it was like 6 points and a bunch of money sorry man :(

6. Nov 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM

302 I love Taylor Swift :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    07' DCSB TRD Sport SSM
    Bedside decal
    Research how your state handles out of state tickets. I got a ticket in Maine going 95 in a 65, the ticket was $450 and he told me to pay it or never come back to Maine. I never paid it, and never had the need to go back to Maine. The points never crossed over to Delaware.

I got a ticket in Virginia for possession of 1 gram of MJ. Ticket was for $500, and the cop told me the same thing, pay it or never come back to Virginia. 5 years went by an I had to go to Virginia. I called the state to verify I had no pending charges, and it had been wipe clean.

Tickets from other states have crosse over.

Do some research. You may not even have to acknowledge the ticket ever happened. Rhode Island won't extradite you back to NY for a ticket, but they may have agreements with NY to make your life miserable.

7. Nov 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    zopperman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zak
    Arlington, VA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner
    Lift, 32" Duratracs, sliders, LED light bar, interior LEDs, sweet tunes & sub, OBA, sliders, TRD 16" 6 spoke wheels, CB, HID spotlights, electrical mods, etc.
    yeah definitely do this, i remember PA and NY had reciprocity so my friend was fucked

8. Nov 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I got a few speeding tix in my younger days. I always went to court, plead "no contest" and they always lowered the fine. But 3hrs. one way is about 3/4 tank of gas. I doubt they would lower it enough to offset that cost.
    I'm with Bennett707 on this one.

9. Nov 25, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    TomTwo

TomTwo I love God but I cuss a little

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    I-85 Southbound and Truckin
    Vehicle:
    Totaled 2012 TRD Sport, 2013 TRD Double Cab Sport
    In Georgia 20 mph over the posted limit is considered a Super Speeding ticket and the State will throw the book at you, including jail time!
    Plead guilty ask for leniency pay the fine and move on. just my .02

10. Nov 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
  11. Nov 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    NYNURSE

NYNURSE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rye, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover Window tint
    Welcome to New York. Fines are set by the court. Thats why nobody can give you a number. N.Y. is also the home of the State Surcharge. It will be close to another hundred tacked on to the fine. Is it worth it trying to get plea deal? You might save $50. Thats a personal decision. The state wants your money. They can only tax us residents so much.

12. Nov 25, 2013 at 3:05 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Suck it up, slow the hell down when driving, and don't speed again even if it sucks its better to go the speed limit than pay the price.

13. Nov 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    zopperman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zak
    Arlington, VA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner
    They ticketed a cop? dicks

14. Nov 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    DAFUQ?! Jail time for speeding?

15. Nov 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    TomTwo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    You need to watch Smoky and the Bandit! :eek:

16. Nov 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    Jimbos13

Jimbos13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2011 2.7L SR5 4x4
    Cop was driving opposite way on the highway. Jacked the breaks, put in in reverse and pulled a U-Turn. I guess it was just bad luck it happened right where there was a break in the median. Was thinking about not paying it and just not driving in New York again.

17. Nov 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    zopperman

Member:
    First Name:
    Zak
    Arlington, VA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner
    my dad did this and got arrested 20 years later. still only had to pay 75 dollars lol. He had no idea it ever happened

18. Nov 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    TomTwo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    You might get away with that 25 years ago but not now. that will only make it worse than it already is. You would hate to get arrested in front of your grand kids!:(

19. Nov 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    Not paying it when an actual officer pulls you over is not a smart thing. If it was a red light ticket or speed camera I can see being hesitant. You can call me a dick or whatever. But you WERE breaking the law. And he WAS doing his job. I know millions of people get tickets everyday. And millions get caught. Just look at it this way. He stopped and wrote you a ticket which extended your time in your travel time. Who knows what that 15-20 minutes on the side of the prevented you from being caught up. ( final Destination stuff right there.)

But seriously slow the hell down and enjoy the ride. You'll get better mpg too. And be glad you weren't in VA. Anything 15 or over is jail time, impound time, and hella fines

20. Nov 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    It's set by the Court. Hard to say the amount but the surcharge rumor is true. Very often do people end up paying more for the surcharge than the actual fine. If you don't answer the ticket your privileges to operate will be suspended in NY State. Then if you come back and are stopped you will be arrested for Aggravated Unlicensed Operation (misdemeanor). If you're from out of State chances are you'll be arraigned and bail will be set. Just FYI..

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top