1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fast-food strikes aim at 100 cities

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by SoCaltaco65, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
  2. Dec 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
  3. Dec 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Don't eat much fast food anyway and sure wouldn't even consider it at a higher price....

I'm guessing investor owners will look else where to invest if prices force lower profits. I sure would. And I just don't see the general population paying much or very much more than their already paying for shitty service, with shitty food on orders that, at least in my experience, are hardly ever correct anyway.

The bright side is we the people will end up supporting even more people in more ways if these people get their way...sarcasm should be noted.

4. Dec 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Fast food workers striking = LoL

5. Dec 2, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    You know Larry you might think "LOL" but, with their skill set they may be hard to replace. I mean if they actually were to strike & walk off the job how long do you think it would take to replace them???

On a related note, I remember interviewing 3 times (yes, 3 f'ing times) for a job at Hardee's before I was old enough to have a drivers license. After the third interview and not hearing back from them in about a week, I called the general manager (he interviewed me all three times) and thanked him for his time and told him I was still interested in the job. He told me "you are not Hardee's kind of people". I was pretty discouraged at the time and it took me at least 2 or 3 minutes to figure out that he had just paid me a pretty good compliment.

6. Dec 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    drtydru

drtydru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dru
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    Bucket seats, Variable speed wiper switch, 09 led Tail Lights, Satoshied front grill, DDM HIDs, Fog light install, Mud flaps removed, 1.5'AAL, Billie 1552, Toyotec front coilovers w/Billies, B.A.M.F welded sliders w/kickout,
    Fast food is the leading cause of cancer and obesity. People need to understand that fast food isn't a replacement for real food. They use the WORST quality ingredients and there is little, if any, health benefits to eating fast food. Eat a fucking salad.

7. Dec 2, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Joe
    That GM probably figured you'd have his job in a short time

8. Dec 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
  9. Dec 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    The thing that gets me is there are cops and firefighters that don't make much over minimum wage, at that new minimum wage they're considering would put fast food wages with my salary! Hell at 15 bucks an hour I might as well quit my job and work fast food, atleast then I won't hafta go to college or deal with as much stress, physicals and mental!

Rant over

10. Dec 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    I for one would pay a bit more for a burger if I knew the people making it got a living wage.... who knows maybe they would have improved product and service if they saw that customers were willing to pay more.

11. Dec 2, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    I keep hearing this term "living wage" and (one of the few time in my life) I'm serious in saying I'd like to know what that really is...you know defined maybe even based on geographic area.

Cause I'm thinking 2 married people making minimum wage at $7.25 an hour each are grossing a total of $30,160 a year or about $2,513.33 a month or I'm guessing especially if they have kids they'd be getting public assistance (does that mean "we the people" are subsidizing private sector business) and are paying zero income taxes.

Now I doubt each parent are actually working in the fast food industry so one may be earning more...??? Maybe? If not, is it their choice. I mean why am I not working fast food? Could it be I decided to do something different? Is it your problem if I decided to work at fast food?

12. Dec 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    Artruck

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    A Living wage is dependent on the area, true, but there are very few places you can survive off minimum wage. even Mcd's admits their workers need a second job to get by. I just think maybe everyones life would get better if more people could afford to live well.

13. Dec 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I have to laugh a little at some of this, though yes, it is sad to a point. You have to realize that while yes, Not a lot of people should eat fast food, it is bad for you, yada yada yada, If they increase the minimum wage to $10.50 per hour, then EVERY job has to pay that minimum from food service to factory line workers and all other manual labor job. What happens? To compensate the companies will do the easiest thing: Increase prices o their products! (You don't REALLY think that they will absorb the cost do you?) So prices go up and guess what, the minimum wage people will STILL be in the same boat: Not enough pay to cover the increase in cost of everything else that they have to buy because the prices just went up. It is a vicious circle.

14. Dec 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    if the dems have their way fast food will be taxed so high none of us will be able to afford it.

15. Dec 2, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Right, I know I worked one full time job and two part time jobs (at the same time) for a few years and even took 6 to 9 credit hours while doing it...

I do agree that people's lives would be better if everyone could live well but, "utopian" societies are proven failures for several reason not the least of which, IMO, it removes incentive for improvement.

16. Dec 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    Artruck

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    I can be a circle, but that's where the benefits of inflation help out. The real development of wealth for most is in owning a home or business, or getting a degree. If I work for 7.24 and borrow 10000 bucks, then wages go up to 10 per hour, I don't suddenly owe more than 10k. It helps people pay things off. stagnant wages are a huge issue and most of these companies pay better in other nations and still turn profit every year.

17. Dec 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    Artruck

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    Its not "Utopian" to think that people should have a decent wage, Its social darwinism to suggest that the lowest rung on the ladder must suffer for others to succeed.

I personally find it embarrassing when I look at the way we treat the working poor in this country.

18. Dec 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I think it'd take a week tops to replace the strikers

and I don't even make $15 working for my university's biology department... Making solutions and shit

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  19. Dec 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    :laugh::laugh:

20. Dec 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    I'm not sure everything Darwin suggested is wrong. Don't take that the wrong way...what I'm saying is there is a boat load of opportunity in this country regardless of our "hard times" and people just don't take advantage of it...it's the "you can lead the horse to water but, you can't make him drink" thing man.

What makes the poor different then the not poor? Granted certain people limitation either physical or psychological but beyond that, why the difference?

I've been lucky and been able to spend extended periods in several countries and with the exception of Western Europe the poor in the US do not compare to the poor in other countries. I wouldn't be embarrassed from that angle.

So where would the money to provide these poor people a better (if non-utopian) income?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top