1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My house is under siege...need suggestions.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Joe D, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jan 2, 2014 at 9:57 AM
    Phil Dammit

Phil Dammit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    This
    Or this, thinking this will be a better option. My only reason we had a cat in the family was for them to hunt the rodents.:cool:

LMAO holy hell that is some funny shit

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. Jan 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Oh man, do I have experience with this. I am a very clean person. Not just picked up but scrubbed clean. So is my wife.

Every couple of years we would get a week or so where I would see or hear one in the basement. We even had one get up under our bed and made a nest under my bedstand. You totally feel violated.

When I remodeled that basement I put a false ceiling in my son's room below the kitchen so I could get the the pipes and wiring if needed. We would have a couple of weeks where the little bastards got up on top of the tiles and run around at night. I put about 6 snap traps and then checked the next morning. I would thump 1-2 a night for weeks on end. I couldn't for the life of me figure out were they were getting in.

Last year I was cleaning the garage and noticed that the sheetrock had separated from wall at the bottom in the garage. The other side was at ceiling height in the basement. I made a baseboard of 1x3 firing strips, injected "Great-stuff" next to the cement and screwed the boards tight. This sucked in the Sheetrock.

I haven't had a mouse in maybe 3 years since I've done that. You have to find where they get in. If you have holes that wires go through, take steel wool and pack them around the wires. The little devils hate gnawing that stuff and they will leave it alone. Another bad place is the panels under bay windows. They aren't very well sealed.

Great-stuff sealant and steel wool are your weapons.

3. Jan 2, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    Joe D

Joe D [OP] .

Member:
    Apparently, I'm not the only dude in Mississippi having this issue.

Home Depot was zero stock and I thought I was going to be tased by a women at Lowes (she looked like that predator character from the movie) as I reached for one of the last available traps I didn't already own (the one in post #2). I pretty much went into dick mode and bought the last two just to be an ass after her attitude. Is that wrong?

[​IMG]

These little beauties have been installed and I'm hoping to see mouse carnage before I leave for work. This will make 8 total traps and is adding a third style of trap to my arsenal.

To answer an earlier question, yes the little prick is removing food from the trap without triggering it & I've even been creative in how I affix the bait.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  4. Jan 2, 2014 at 11:35 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    This works well for chipmunks too. Them little bastards get into everything. a 5gallon bucket with sunflower seeds floating. We called it chippy dipping.

5. Jan 2, 2014 at 11:44 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    X2 this really is the only fix for the issue.

6. Jan 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    robu

robu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob1224
    Cottonwood, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport debadged
    kings front and rear 3" expedition deaver pack 700lbs in front. lighted 4x4 switch and fixed temp console
    LOL I had a friend whos dad did this with a .22. mouse went behind the fridge so when he shot he hit the cord and shorted out the fridge. My friend also shot his older brother in between the eyes with a bb gun just to show the mentality of the family...

7. Jan 2, 2014 at 11:48 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    good luck :) Let us know

8. Jan 2, 2014 at 11:56 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Bingo

Everything else is just a bandaid till the next year

9. Jan 2, 2014 at 12:04 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    there is an electronic trap called the "ratzapper", i'd highly recommend... i have one i keep up in the attic, i get a few rodents who venture into my attic every year i've had it... it only uses a few AA batteries, and kills the rodents by electrocuting them... the batteries last a long time in standby, and even after many "uses"... ;)

10. Jan 2, 2014 at 12:39 PM
    Joe D

Joe D [OP] .

Member:
    Based on the above, I've looked for an opening and think I may have found it around my dryer vent.

I built the place I'm living within the past few years as temporary housing while I paid off my ground and other debt before I build what I hope to be my last house. I took a good amount if time sealing the place to ensure I didn't have any openings. I guess the sealant shrank. That is now on my "to do" list.

11. Jan 2, 2014 at 5:08 PM
    Joe D

Joe D [OP] .

Member:
    Thanks Mike (Delmarva) the trap you recommended provided some success! I'll be working on sealing the place up on my next days off.

12. Jan 2, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    :woot:

Glad to help... I hate those little bastards

13. Jan 3, 2014 at 6:31 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Let me tell you about relying on a cat. I had a mouse in a feed bin in the barn he got in but could not get out so I figured no problem I'll throw in a barn cat he totally ignored the mouse and jumped out. We were invaded by flying squeals’ two cats two Great Diane’s, dogs and cats zero me with bare hands 4 damn those little things can bite hard.

14. Jan 3, 2014 at 9:21 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    BB gun would be fun inside the house LOL

15. Jan 4, 2014 at 7:58 AM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    I've never really had a mouse problem, despite the chaos of my house. I figure it's because we own a bajillion cats, because it's definitely not because we are clean or something strange like that. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top