Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

What Charities do you like to give to?

Old 01-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
What Charities do you like to give to?

Every year we like to give, and we change from year to year. Just wondering what some of your favorite charities are?
Old 01-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
We change it every year, other than some standard donations through our local church.
We also sponsor a child in Swaziland through World Vision.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Wounded warrior foundation.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
na8rboy has a spectacular aura aboutna8rboy has a spectacular aura aboutna8rboy has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Name: Mark
na8rboy's Tacoma Gallery
Vince Lombardi cancer center, and Children's Miracle network. In memory of my mom.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
I give every year to a few organizations. I'm rethinking that for this year.

A friend of mine told me this.... If you get a call on the phone to donate to a non-profit organization, ask them this.... "What percentage of my donation will go to the cause, and what will go to your administration?"

... They are REQUIRED BY LAW to tell you if you ask them.

I thought I'd put this information to use, so here's what happened.....
I got a call at the end of the year from a breast cancer research organization. After her 'sales pitch' I asked the question, and I almost fell on the friggin' floor from what she told me.

80% goes to administration
20% goes to the charity

Next time you get a charity call, ask them about exactly how much goes to charity, non-profit or not. You'll be very surprised! Try it.

I will give, but now carefully pick who/what I will give to.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Pyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Pyrite Mica's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Wounded warrior foundation.
Yep! See my signature.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
File IFR nailed it. There are lots of sources out there that compline that information year to year.

I prefer local charities and service organizations where I can see what my money and time are doing. Wounded Warrior is high on my list of national charities for their mission and the local organizations they help out in my area.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
I like the moral values of the Salvation Army so they get my money.
82% is used for good works... and 18% is for administrative costs.

Greg
Old 01-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Hidden Wounds

http://www.hiddenwounds.org/
Old 01-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
As a beneficiary of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital I'm a big advocate so regular donations go to them. I'll NEVER be able to repay them (in many ways) and of course they will never bill us either.

http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index...001e0215acRCRD

The treatment for a rare bone marrow failure disease was deemed experimental and therefore payment was denied by insurance.

Additionally, I pick and choose different non-major charities/giving throughout the year.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by File IFR View Post
I give every year to a few organizations. I'm rethinking that for this year.

A friend of mine told me this.... If you get a call on the phone to donate to a non-profit organization, ask them this.... "What percentage of my donation will go to the cause, and what will go to your administration?"

... They are REQUIRED BY LAW to tell you if you ask them.

I thought I'd put this information to use, so here's what happened.....
I got a call at the end of the year from a breast cancer research organization. After her 'sales pitch' I asked the question, and I almost fell on the friggin' floor from what she told me.

80% goes to administration
20% goes to the charity

Next time you get a charity call, ask them about exactly how much goes to charity, non-profit or not. You'll be very surprised! Try it.

I will give, but now carefully pick who/what I will give to.
Exactly, and 80/20 is probably one of the more legitimate organizations. I do compliance risk management for a large US bank and a sizable portion of my work is reviewing and investigating non-profit organizations that choose to bank with us. I see everything from their financial statements to their individual account transactions. Without violating any disclosure laws, I'll just say that we work with numerous well known charities, and to say they're crooked would be paying them a compliment.

My family makes regular charitable donations to various organizations, but after seeing what really happens with those funds, I'm personally extremely put off by the idea.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post
The HUMAN Fund.
Oh yes George, one of my favorites.....................................
Old 01-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #14
Christ-a-licious
Battle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 15-6'rs
Name: Korben
Battle Pope's Tacoma Gallery
NAMBLA
Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
TX Made is a splendid one to beholdTX Made is a splendid one to beholdTX Made is a splendid one to beholdTX Made is a splendid one to beholdTX Made is a splendid one to beholdTX Made is a splendid one to beholdTX Made is a splendid one to behold
TX Made's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #16
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Salvation Army only. Hopefully they stay true.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #17
EODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Explosive Ordnanace Disposal
Name: Dave
EODTRD's Tacoma Gallery
St. Jude, Texas Children's Hospital, Wounded Warrior and EOD Wounded Warrior.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #18
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Made View Post
Good to know.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #19
velillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to allvelillen is a name known to all
Name: Nick
velillen's Tacoma Gallery
I used to give to the Salvation Army. Loved how the local chapters (is that the right word?) got the money. But as i was told a few years ago they now just pool all the money nationally. I want my money to be used locally. Im just different in i enjoy being able to see or hear about how my money is being used rather than it just going into a big pool. Not that National organizations arent great and do great things just my preference I do donate to a couple others though. Toys-For-Tots - we dont do Christmas anymore except for my niece. So we all take some money and go buy Christmas toys for kids. Team Survivor Northwest - Womens breast cancer survivor support group. They get out and do physical things. My mom is a member and has climbed Mt. Adams with them and done a tri-athalon. Basically a bunch of girls get together and the organization helps pay for guides, training, gear, ect. I also give to a more local charity who deals with protecting trails and the such. It changes year to year. This year was to the Olympic Mountain Rescue guys.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #20
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Made View Post

Good to know