1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Craigslist Rideshare..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jeverich, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Jan 7, 2014 at 8:45 AM
    jeverich

jeverich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Discuss.

I'm in Rhode Island currently, going to be driving my rig back to Washington State within the next 4 days or so. Taking the Northern Route again, but going to take my time with this crossing (did the trip East in 3.5 days).

All of my friends have work, and can't take the time to ride along back West with me, my Dad can't do long distance Winter travel (about gave him a heart attack when he was co-pilot for the Southbound Alaska Highway drive).

Posted up a Craigslist "Rideshare" ad just for shits and gigs. Might have been that tasty Chocolate Porter..

Figured at least the responses would be interesting, and it may be a chance to break up a pretty monotonous trip this time of year.

http://providence.craigslist.org/rid/4269907147.html

Gotten about 5 responses, 3 of them I ruled out without even a reply - horrible spelling, assuring me they didn't have a drug habit and telling me that they have a valid license and want to drive my rig. Fuck no.

Have one girl that is making up her mind - told her I need to know by tonight; she's a professional - late twenties, and is taking some time off from her job to travel. Looked her up on Facebook/Google - everything I see shows her as being an okay person. But, this is the internet.

Second girl seems as though she's more of a free spirit. Been hitch-hiking the US for 2 years. From the email exchanges that we've had - she seems normal, witty and interesting. But. It's the internet. Wasn't able to get any Facebook/Google information.

I'm just wondering exactly how this all is going to go down, if it happens. I usually do all of my traveling alone, and like to be situation aware at all times. I travel armed. I'm good at reading people. I think this could go either way; I mean, I know there are good people in the world - but, I'm wondering where exactly the line is with regards to keeping myself safe vs. not taking a passenger. Locking my rig up at every gas stop? Making them stand outside? Separate hotel rooms?

Throwing this out as an afterthought: I know they're both single - and both not ugly. It's not my intention for this to be some "love cruise".. But how exactly does that work? Same hotel room? I stayed with relatives in Minn. - I definitely wouldn't be comfortable expecting them to house a stranger.

I guess my reservation is just that.

I'm inviting a stranger into my truck, into my life and across the country.

Is it a crazy fucking idea?

Input?

2. Jan 7, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    when is your funeral?

3. Jan 7, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    jeverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Bwwahaha!

4. Jan 7, 2014 at 8:52 AM
    Lordaca

Lordaca Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPRT DC LB 4x4
    Weathertech floor liners and wind deflector, OEM roof Rack, Wet Okoles seat covers, cb installed
    Sometimes risks make life worth while. You could get a crazy person but you could meet someone really interesting. Maybe meet in person first before jumping in a car and driving 4 days with someone. This actually sounds fun to me.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  5. Jan 7, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    anotherreject

anotherreject Well-Known Member

Member:
    It puts the lotion on the skin

6. Jan 7, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    TripleThreat

TripleThreat Vance@freevancewriting.com

Member:
    First Name:
    They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
    Socal but I am still a southern Florida guy
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 slightly modified
    nothing special.... wanna race?
    I am driving cross country as well for about 5 days and I am taking a friend of the family so I don't think its completely crazy.
    Id go with the girl in her twentys she seems like the logical choice and girls have less of a chance of trying to steal your rig or kill you. However they the same potential to do such things but are disarming because they are girls.
    If your really going to do this I would leave all my trip infomation with a family relative which you will check in with via phone every 8 hours or everyday. They will need to know your whole route and the person who is traveling with you that way if the person traveling with you does try something you have someone there that knows about it and can call authorities.

HAHA! That got me to laugh when I read that!

7. Jan 7, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    jeverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    "So, uh - you're okay with riding in the bed, right?"

8. Jan 7, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    4runnercaged

4runnercaged Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    LOL
    98 toyota tacoma, stock
    shit, why not?

could be interesting.

it is the internet, be careful.

maybe put a hidden eject button with some nos bottles under the passenger seat

9. Jan 7, 2014 at 8:57 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    :eek:

I think you're crazy... but will probably end up with good stories to tell... either that or you'll be dead...

10. Jan 7, 2014 at 8:59 AM
    anotherreject

Member:
    EJECTO SEATO CUUZ

At the very least even if its a hot woman do whatever kind of back ground check you can maybe get police to check her for warrants

11. Jan 7, 2014 at 8:59 AM
    jeverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    I could be opening up the shitstorm gate..

TripleThreat - that's a really good idea. And yes, they may appear to be disarming because they're girls.. but a knife/gun really doesn't care who is holding it.

Separate rooms?

12. Jan 7, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    anotherreject

Member:
    Hell yes separate rooms she could take off in your taco while you are sleeping

13. Jan 7, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    jeverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    I've got a hidden kill switch, too.

I dunno, I'm still on the fence.

14. Jan 7, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    Loco38SUP

Loco38SUP Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab SR5 4X4
    Loud as hell URD exhaust!
    Personally I think it's a crazy idea, I only travel with trusted friends or relatives. All it takes is a pull at the steering wheel from some psycho paranoid person for it to be fatal.

-good luck man.

RJM

15. Jan 7, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Honestly? You don't need that shit. Don't. You've got us to keep you company. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  16. Jan 7, 2014 at 9:33 AM
    jeverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    Oh. God.

Wonder if I'd have to hold my farts?

You all have really valid points, and all things that I've been thinking of. I'd have to hide any of the "possible" weapons that are in my rig.. Multi-tool, spud wrench, rope cutting knife..

Still on the fence.

17. Jan 7, 2014 at 9:36 AM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    LOL!!

18. Jan 7, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    I watched a documentary about this exact thing, but in reverse on Netflix a while ago. The guy went across the country with no money, using only craigslist for rides and such. He made it alive and met some pretty crazy people. just remember if she gets too crazy, stop for gas, ask her to grab you some smokes from inside, step on it.

19. Jan 7, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    05Aztacoma

05Aztacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4
  20. Jan 7, 2014 at 9:51 AM
    TripleThreat

TripleThreat Vance@freevancewriting.com

Member:
    First Name:
    They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
    Socal but I am still a southern Florida guy
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 slightly modified
    nothing special.... wanna race?
    Here only on fox, a 23 year old male on a road trip with a stranger woke up in ice filled hotel bathtub missing a kidney and during a live interview said this "At first I was scared but after checking outside I was re-leaved to know she was still here, and so was the keys, I was so relieve my girl wasnt taken and I still have my tacoma so I can't complain!" after the interview we have to ask the question "What the hell is wrong with this guy" :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top