Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

my first dog

Old 03-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
my first dog

Hey guys, I've spent the last 3 weeks or so trying to decide if I want a dog right now or not.

I'm turning 20 in a few weeks, I have my truck, I work REALLY close to home.
This summer I plan on camping lots, and she would be coming with me all the time.

I understand she could be a burden sometimes, like if I wanted to go for a day trip and was staying at someone's house or whatever, it would be hard.
but it would be fun too! I'd be super happy having a pup sitting next to me right now.

I understand the costs, and the time I will have to spend training etc.

what I'm not sure of, is I'm all play, I like to be able to do whatever whenever, and that will be a bit limited with a dog.

so just seeing what you guys think of having a dog at 20...?
any info or anything let me know, thanks guys!!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I live with my girlfriend and a roomate, I already talked to my roomate and told him he wouldn't have to deal with anything, and I talked to my gf, and she is ok with helping when I need it.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
there like having kids. i have 2 dogs and if u wanna do whatever when ever i would hold of for right now.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
rpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to behold

rpoint16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
Hey guys, I've spent the last 3 weeks or so trying to decide if I want a dog right now or not.

I'm turning 20 in a few weeks, I have my truck, I work REALLY close to home.
This summer I plan on camping lots, and she would be coming with me all the time.

I understand she could be a burden sometimes, like if I wanted to go for a day trip and was staying at someone's house or whatever, it would be hard.
but it would be fun too! I'd be super happy having a pup sitting next to me right now.

I understand the costs, and the time I will have to spend training etc.

what I'm not sure of, is I'm all play, I like to be able to do whatever whenever, and that will be a bit limited with a dog.

so just seeing what you guys think of having a dog at 20...?
any info or anything let me know, thanks guys!!!!

It's good your thinking it thru. I wish more people would do that!

Every breed of dog (as well as individual dogs in a breed), has diff activity levels, personalitys, etc...

Go to your local dog park & hang out. Most owners are really cool & you can get some good ideas. Plus there is ALWAYS hot chick there! If you decide to get one, get a rescue.

Our first dog Tommy! Got him from a rescue 6-weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
my first dog-tf3.jpg  
Old 03-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #5

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
well I went and saw a boxer lab cross this afternoon. she's a very nice dog! hyper, but my sister has a boxer, and she is hyper too but settles down.
I borrowed my sisters dog for a week last week and it went pretty well!
just getting some opinions.
here's a pic of her...
Old 03-23-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
agtex42 is just really niceagtex42 is just really niceagtex42 is just really niceagtex42 is just really niceagtex42 is just really nice

agtex42's Tacoma Gallery
I say wait to get one. Dog's are a bigger commitment than most people realize, you pretty much have to plan your life around them. It gets complicated when you're trying to find people to take care of them when you go out of town, even for the weekend. And during the week you have to adjust your life to take care of the pet, no late night partying or sleeping in til noon because the dog needs to be fed or taken out. I'm assuming since your 20 you rent, most landlords charge a nonrefundable pet fee and then if your dog damages something in the house they try to keep your deposit too. What breed are you considering getting, high-energy dogs require lots of attention and exercise and if you don't give it to them they tend to find ways of entertaining themselves ie destroying your stuff. I'd say if you were to get one you should adopt, it's a great way to get a dog that's already been house-broken and you'll know what kind of temperament the dog will have before you get it into your house. My wife and I "rescued" our dog when he was two years old, we've had him for a year and couldn't be happier. I'm not telling you to not get a dog, but I figured I'd give you some pointers from a guy that's still in his 20's.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
just remember this dog is going to depend on you at all times
it is a love that is like no other you must be the one to feed it
play and take it to the vet its a big job it can be one of the
best things that happen in your life
Iam sure no here wants to say dont do it
bc you will be trying to do the right thing by giving
the dog a home
BUT PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY
its about more then just you
Old 03-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #8

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
yea I'm trying to make sure I do this right. keep em coming!
Old 03-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well I went and saw a boxer lab cross this afternoon. she's a very nice dog! hyper, but my sister has a boxer, and she is hyper too but settles down.
I borrowed my sisters dog for a week last week and it went pretty well!
just getting some opinions.
here's a pic of her...

i'm 20 and have a dog. I have a boxer and my roommate has a lab. My roommate sucks so the lab is pretty much my own. They are wonderful to have and its totally doable until it comes time for trips and long outings. If you have parents close that would take her on trips for you than id say its a go. My gf helps take care of mine. In my opinion, the time to raise a dog is in a situation with roommates and lots of new people. My boxer is the most social and friendly dog i've ever met. keep in mind though, a dog needs a lot of attention and if you plan on keeping her in a crate or a backyard for long periods of time alone (6+hours a day) you may end up with a dog that doesn't behave quite like you'd want. let me know if you have any more questions about costs and what not.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #10

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
hey lifesflaw, for you being the same age as me, do you find it to be often that you have a problem, as in dealing with having her and it being akward?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #11
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

in your 1st post you it would be a burden at times
Iam sorry i dont think you are ready
its not a burden
sorry
Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #12

When you are ready iam sure you will give a dog a great
home
Old 03-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #13

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
well having a kid can be a burden at times.
maybe you don't understand what I mean. thanks
Old 03-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #14

sorry did not want to say it that way iam sure
you will give a dog a great home one day
and i thank its great that you have what it takes
to ask this hear
Old 03-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #15

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
so, anyone else?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #16
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
hey lifesflaw, for you being the same age as me, do you find it to be often that you have a problem, as in dealing with having her and it being akward?
Where i live it's never a problem. I'm in college so when i'm not home, someone else is, and if not, my dog only is outside for a little while. For situations when i go out of town, if i can't take him with me, i find a way to get him with my mom or my gf's family. Both my mom and her family love dogs so its no big deal.

Finance wise, i got him when he was a puppy and it damn near made me broke with all the shots and surgerys (getting fixed (I had to get my dog spayed and neutered cause he had a nut stuck up in his abdominal wall) and he had a few tumors). However, assuming the dog has no problems, you have to get shots about every three months for a year and then getting it fixed. From then on its monthly heartworm and flea medicine plus food.

Overall, I would say YOU are ready for a dog, but you have to make sure your living situation is ready for the dog.

Edit: Having read that you said you're active, I wouldn't suggest getting a really young puppy. Probably rescuing something more towards 6+ months would be best.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #17

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
the one I'm looking at is 7 months.
I think your right. I need to be sure my living situation is right.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #18

Quote:
the one I'm looking at is 7 months.
I think your right. I need to be sure my living situation is right.
thats the best advice i can give you. Rather than telling your roommate that you won't make him help, you may wanna sit him down and make sure he doesn't mind at all. Id be kinda pissed if my roommate came home with a dog and didn't give me all the scoop. My roommates do play a big part in my dogs time.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:32 AM   #19
Taco™
Blu08Taco is on a distinguished road

Blu08Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Ok. As a young individual (22) who has just recently added a dog (puppy) to my life, allow me to give you some advice. It is a BIG responsibility, can be a pain in the ass if you're like me and like to take spur of the moment trips, and cost money money money!!!! Not to mention time.

With all that being said, this is the best decision I've made, and I wouldn't change a thing. Yes, potty training is a BITCH and the initial vet bills, supplies, training, food, etc will damn near make you broke, when it's all said and done for, it's all worth it. The outdoor things I like to do, I take my dog with me. When I go to the beach, I take my dog with me. When I got out for short drives, guess who's riding shotty. Make sure you are ready to commit your life for 10-15 years to take care and love your dog. I think for us young guys, having something that depends on us and that we are responsible for daily, brings the best out in us. Get a rescue dog, and if you get a puppy, be prepared for them to pee and poop all in your house lol. I swear my dog peed my floors 50-60 times before she was potty trained, and I wanted to take her back many times during that first initial month. It only gets better!!!! I say, get one. It'll change your life!!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #20

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
wow, thats quite inspiring and I feel i'd be saying the same thing if i do get my first dog.
The one i've found is 7 months old so potty training is already done! she isn't a rescue from the shelter, but her owner can't have her, so I feel good about getting her this way.
He is asking for $250, but I am trying to negotiate with him and let her go for very cheap if not free, i'd much rather spend that money on things for her than just to get her!